RE: [Fantasy_Books] Nooooo!!!Re: to members in the united kingdom

  • Maire
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2001
      Huh? better than Marion ZB??? How so?? She may be better than Rawn and
      Lackey... dunno abotu NOrton;s early stuff. But Bradley???
      Some people may not *like* Bradley, but she is 10 times the writer and
      world-builder that McCaffrey is IMO
      Maire

      Hard SF- December disc. "Integral Trees" by Larry Niven
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hardsf

      Original Fantasy- Jan BOTM "ANubis Gates" by Tim Powers
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/original_fantasy

      Soft SF- Jan BOTM "Dispossessed" by Ursula le Guin
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soft_sf

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2001
        Mathew, I mentioned world-building to be specifically in context of
        McCaffrey and MZB... McCaffrey's world=building is so astonishingly crappy,
        you see. (as in, wildly improbable and inconsistent).
        I never said world-building is everything. At the moment I am really sick of
        people grabbing stuff out of posts that arent there.

        • AlGriffo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2001
            In a message dated 12/7/01 2:03:51 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time,
            matthew.graybosch@... writes:

            > Hey, she's better than Mercedes Lackey, Melanie Rawn, Andre Norton,
            > and Marion Zimmer Bradley combined

            We may have to burn the Mercedes Lackey books as well! :-)

            Al G

          • Matthew Graybosch
            • Maire
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2001
                Sorry for being harsh, Mathew. Its not personal. AS you may have realised,
                I am just weary with the miscommunication that seems to happen so much on
                the net... makes me feel like we spend so much time semi-bickering, you
                know?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 7, 2001
                    In a message dated 12/8/01 12:01:37 AM AUS Eastern Daylight Time,
                    mairen@... writes:

                    > I am just weary with the miscommunication that seems to happen so much on
                    > the net...

                    Email is really a terrible way to communicate. Or perhaps humans just
                    haven't adapted to it yet. It's very easy for things to be taken more
                    seriously than they were intended. Often we think that it's clear that we're
                    being facetious, but we're actually making a lot of assumptions - that other
                    people understand our sense of humour, that they know how we normally express
                    ourselves, etc. We also often forget that even between the various
                    English-speaking countries there are cultural differences.

                    Al G