Re: [Fantasy_Books] I think your definition of justice is wrong, Sidharam.

  • comanch2
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 4, 2001
      Justice can sometimes be "Carthage."
      ti
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Matthew Graybosch
      To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 1:23 PM
      Subject: [Fantasy_Books] I think your definition of justice is wrong, Sidharam.

      On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 21:06:54 -0600, Sidharam Drevekenin typed:

      Sidharam, I absolutely MUST

      # Justice is not doing unto others what they did unto you. Justice
      is
      # loving your neighbour no matter what.

      <extreme example>
      So you would still "love your neighbor" if he raped your daughter,
      beheaded her, dumped her body in the woods and kept her head for a
      trophy?
      </extreme example>

      # Justice is turning the other cheak like one of the most prolific
      # religions in the world claims.

      As Christianity claims? Sorry, but I do not think that it is just to
      reward cruelty with kindness. Would you call it just if I repaid
      kindness with cruelty? If not, then why do you claim that we should
      reward cruelty with kindness?

      Here's the definition of Justice on which I operate. I'm quoting
      from page 276 of "Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand", by Dr.
      Leonard Peikoff:

      "Justice is the virtue of judging men's character and conduct
      objectively and of acting accordingly, granting to each man that
      which he deserves."

      Operating under this principle requires that one grant love only to
      the good, not to the evil. To turn the other cheek to evil, to love
      one's enemies, is a travesty of justice, for doing so places
      evildoers (like Osama bin Laden) on the same level as those who do
      no harm to others.
      --
      Matthew Graybosch
      http://www.starbreaker.net

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Sidharam Drevekenin
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 6, 2001
        Wench wrote:

        > <<<It's the Americans who've been incited into war and are acting like savage vandals. With their "We'll never negotiate with terrorists" approach.>>>
        >
        > Each Halloween the local mall where I live opens up to host an evening of Trick or Treating for children in the area, in order to provide a safe, simple place where they can go with their parents. This year, that "safe" haven...of no political consequence and entirely an event specialized for children only...almost wasn't. Not because of fear of what might happen, but because of what almost did happen. Several members of Bin Laden's little group decided they were going to visit the mall armed with enough ammunition to enjoy a nice slaughter in the name of their cause. So gee...I wonder how far negotiations with these people would have gone as they went about their deliberat plan to slaughter children, if they'd managed to follow through instead of being caught almost before it was too late.

        It saddens me that people think that. But just like Al said, I think we
        should stray off politics (I've been SO good in not replying to the
        flames thrown at me and the counter arguments, not because I didn't have
        anything to say, but because I promised not to continue rather early in
        this argument.)

        So... Terry Goodkind... Whatd'you all think of that guy, eh? :)

        Yours, Sidharam.
        --
        "Most demoniacal of all shocks is that of the abysmally unexpected and
        grotesquely unbelievable."

        - H. P. Lovecraft.