RE: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Let us start again!

  • Maire
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 16, 2001
      Ha ha ha... glad you ar eback Tim. Where have you been anyway? Was it study
      related? or work or what?
      At the moment I am reading Kushiel's Dart... I am totally hooked. Has anyone
      else read it? Its amazing the world she has created dont you think- the
      twist on our own? I know many people were put off by the SM stuff... I
      guess, since it is not abusive, I can accept it.
      Maire

      Hard SF- Oct discussion "A Door Into Ocean" by Joan Slonczewski
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hardsf
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 17, 2001
        I loved the Farseer trilogy. Thought they were brilliant. Especially
        book two. I'm not sure if I said this before, but it was interesting
        that reading the book - where Fitz was all happy with Molly etc 0 I
        became really happy. When I stopped reading - back to reality - got
        all depressed. So I kind of got addicted to the book, if that makes
        any sense.
        Most ppl I knwo didn't like the ending to the series. I didn't mind
        it actually as and ending, although it had a strong emotional impact
        in me. Felt like being kicked in the guts. Although I really wan'st
        impressed by the way book two ended. Thought it was not good at all.
        Anyone else has comments?

        --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., moonflyerus@y... wrote:
        > --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., kaedana@c... wrote:
        > > I am partway into _A Fire upon the Deep_ and meanwhile
        > > I am excited because amazon.co.uk tells me they have
        > > sent my copy of Robin Hobb's _Fool's Errand_.
        > >
        > > Helen M.

        > I loved Robin Hoob's Farseer series. I am waiting for my copy to
        get
        > here too. I just know it is going to be great and I can't wait to
        > see what happens to Fitz. The book I just finished and I give five
        > stars is The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling it was amazing.
        >
        > Moonflyerus
      • Tim Andrews
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 17, 2001
          yes Tim is aware of that. And I do think that it is a good thing. I
          think that we shall be able to content ourselves with that which this
          list was origionally designed for - discussing fantasy books - and
          that Book of the month can continue seperatly in BR group. The groups
          I think complement each other, and do work together... we're not in
          competition! lol

          --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Maire" <mairen@b...> wrote:
          > The activty has gone over to the Bey real list because Lysander
          moved the
          > BOTM discussion from this list to the other in Tim's absence. So I
          would
          > assume that Tim is aware of the Bey Real activity?
          > Maire
          >
          > Hard SF- Oct discussion "A Door Into Ocean" by Joan Slonczewski
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hardsf

          Service.

        • Smita Mukherjee
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 17, 2001
            The Wishsong is the third novel in the original series. The main characters
            are Brin and Jair Ohmsford, Rone Leah, Garret Jax, and Slanter. I think
            that Allanon is a given in the original series. :) Brin and Jair and the
            ones with the Wishsong and Brin has to go after and destry the Ildatch and
            Jair goes after her to help. Hope that helps. :)
            Smita

            >Out of interest which one was Wishsong? I'm fairly sure i've read all
            >Shannara ones, but the premature senile decay (lol) from which I
            >suffer means I can't remember which is which...
            >
            >--- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Smita Mukherjee" <Shadoemaykher@h...>
            >wrote:
            > > I'm currently re-reading the Wishsong of Shannara. Don't have the
            >cash to
            > > start any new authors so am re-reading what I've already got.
            > > Smita
            > >

            > > >I'll be brief and blunt :)
            > > >Whats everyone reading at the moment and what do you think of it?
            > > >Please everyone do report and lets get this list going again!
            > > >
            > > >Tim

          • Gaye Wood
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 17, 2001
              Currently I'm reading Star Wars X-Wing series -- I'm on the second book,
              Wedge's Gamble. Just finished the Bedlam's Bard, Mercedes Lackey, which is
              actually "Knight of Ghosts and Shadows" and "Summoned to Tourney" in one
              volume. Very enjoyable! Elves in California!! What a hoot! Next I think
              I'll read Robin Hobb's "Mad Ship" (but probably not until I re-read "Ship of
              Magic"). I'm also anxious to read "Fool's Errand". I tons of books on my
              to read pile..... ;-D

              gaye ;)
            • Amy Harlib
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 18, 2001
                At the moment I am reading Kushiel's Dart... I am totally hooked. Has anyone
                else read it? Its amazing the world she has created dont you think- the
                twist on our own? I know many people were put off by the SM stuff... I
                guess, since it is not abusive, I can accept it.
                Maire

                Not only have I read and loved 'Kushiel's Dart' too, but I reviewed it and
                did an exclusive e-mail interview with the author Jacqueline Carey for the
                website where I have a minthly review column: www.thetroll.net . Please
                take a look!
                Thanks! Amy
              • Tim Andrews
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 18, 2001
                  Just a combination of many different things. Please remember I always
                  did read emails. Just didn't reply. Hopefully i'll be annoying you
                  more with my erratic and nonsensical postings in the near future.
                  lol
                  Tim

                  --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Maire" <mairen@b...> wrote:
                  > Ha ha ha... glad you ar eback Tim. Where have you been anyway? Was
                  it study
                  > related? or work or what?
                  > At the moment I am reading Kushiel's Dart... I am totally hooked.
                  Has anyone
                  > else read it? Its amazing the world she has created dont you think-
                  the
                  > twist on our own? I know many people were put off by the SM
                  stuff... I
                  > guess, since it is not abusive, I can accept it.
                  > Maire

                • Robert Campbell
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 18, 2001
                    Have just started rereading Katherine Kurtz's King
                    Kelson's Bride. I've been following this series since
                    the early 70's, mostly because I like the main
                    characters as people. This one didn't have as much
                    conflict as some of the earlier books, and I thought
                    Kelson overcame his difficulties a little too easily,
                    but I guess after some of the things that have
                    happened to him he deserves an easy (easier, anyway)
                    time.

                    Bob Campbell

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • Sidharam Drevekenin
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 18, 2001
                      MintyFreshKitty@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 10/16/01 8:14:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                      > ireand@... writes:
                      >

                      >> I'll be brief and blunt :)
                      >> Whats everyone reading at the moment and what do you think of it?
                      >> Please everyone do report and lets get this list going again!
                      >>
                      >> Tim
                      >>

                      > Hi I'm Angie and this is my first post :)
                      > I am reading Picture of Evil by Graham Mastert(s)on... I am a new fantasy
                      > fan... I started out with The Mists of Avalon and the rest of the Avalon
                      > series... My friend recommended a bunch of fantasy books but none of them are
                      > at the library :( I was wondering if someone could recommend some fantasy
                      > books. I am a huge Horror fan and my fave authors are Stephen King, Bentley
                      > Little, Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum and Andrew Vachss (non-horror). I just
                      > love the gory and bloody horror books... So if anyone can think of any books
                      > to suggest maybe some that are both fantasy and horror(the gorier and
                      > bloodier the better), my email is MintyFreshKitty@.... Thanx!!!!
                      > Now Reading : Picture of Evil by Graham Mastert(s)on and Dead and Gone by
                      > Andrew Vachss

                      Hey Andrew, welcome to the list.

                      Well, recently I began delving (in my own timid way) into Lovecraft. As
                      a huge horror fan you probably read more of his work than I did... But
                      since he wasn't on your list, I thought I'd mention it as a possiblity.

                      I really loved his stories (So far I've read "The Call of Cthulhu" and
                      "Beyond the Mountains of Madness". I really like his style.. It's
                      written in a very high academic language which kind of draws you in...
                      And reading it in the middle of the night just kept me looking behind my
                      back all along. He truly is a master, IMO.

                      Also, because of some weird copyright rule I don't even understand, let
                      alone am able to repeat it, his stories are free for all... You can
                      actually find them (complete and unabridged) on the 'net.

                      Yours, Aram.