Re: [Fantasy_Books] Digest Number 467

  • wmcrane@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4 8:18 AM
      > >--- Mark Peace <mark@...> wrote:
      >
      > >Rubbish.
      >
      > >***What's rubbish? The fact that an author only gets a
      > >royalty at time of purchase?
      >
      > >When you publish a book (on paper) you don't sell it
      > >for one person to use, you sell one copy that can be
      > >used continuously.
      >
      > >***And I never claimed otherwise.
      >
      > >If I lend a book to a friend he is allowed to read it,
      > >because I own the book completely.
      >
      > >***And I never claimed otherwise to this either.
      >
      > >The good ones do though!
      >
      > >>***No, the authors that have enough promotional money
      > >behind them, or a name in the industry are the ones
      > >that make good money. A lot of the time it doesn't
      > >really matter what the content of the book is. People
      > >will buy a name over content.
      >
      > >But this brings up something. What ever happened to
      > >common courtesy? You know, being civil? Almost all of
      > >the email lists that I am on have a problem with
      > >civility. I thought maybe I would be able to get
      > >nteresting feedback here, or be able to discuss
      > >things in a civil way. Apparently that's not true.

      What you have just seen is called a discussion, (someone presenting views
      that are in opposion to your own. He didn't attack you in any way just your
      ideas. He was not overly harsh in doing so, and made no tries to infer
      anything about you. How is this being uncivil? This is how most
      discussions start one person presents an idea, someone else makes a comment
      either for or against, and hopefully others will join in on one side or the
      other, or even bring up a new point of view entirely.

      > >Just another email list that I'll not be coming back
      > >to.
      >
      > >Jenna

      I don't see why not, but then I'm not you. It would be one thing if he came
      out and flamed you but he didn't.

      Oh well

      Bill the everlurking