Re: [Fantasy_Books] Robert Howard's Conan series

  • Sylver Leah
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2000
      Why is it that when a grown man (31)
      >goes into a book store and asks if they have any Conan books, they look at
      >you
      >like you must have the intellect of a 12 year old?

      Conan is one of those characters that is really intended for adults. So
      many people try to pass the novels and comics off as children's literature,
      when they're not. I still read the Conan comics when I get a chance (I'm
      22, been reading those since I was about 7). The intellect of a 12 year old.
      Try being a girl and asking for some of this stuff... I get some strange
      looks from a lot of people when I walk into a comic store, or some "Boy's
      Domain"...

      Geannie.
    • elizabeth coutts
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2000
        I got further than ten pages, about half way I think, but I didn't finish
        the book. I found it just plain silly. Mind you other people I've spoken
        to thought Jordan's Conan was funny. Different sense of humour I guess.
        Elizabeth

        > i've never even heard of robert howard, but on the subject of conan books
        > AND robert jordan, i tried to start reading robert jordan's conan book(it
        > was a three books in 1), and i could not get past the first ten pages!(and
        > it took me 1 hour to read that- and usually, i'm a fast reader!) did
        anyone
        > actually read these books, and if so, what did you think of them?
        >
        > sara

      • Sylver Leah
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2000
          This message was for whoever said that Robert JORDAN wrote the first Conan
          novel.. Simply not true. Conan has been around since before, well, a long
          damned time.

          Geannie.
        • sara chamama
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2000
            i never said robert jordan wrote the first conan novel, i just said i only
            READ robert jordan's conan novel. someone else(i think) said that robert
            HOWARD wrote the first conan novel.

            This message was for whoever said that Robert JORDAN wrote the first Conan
            novel.. Simply not true. Conan has been around since before, well, a long
            damned time.

            Geannie.

            Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.
            To learn more click here:
            http://click.egroups.com/1/2955/1/_/231028/_/957220351/

            FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
          • Phillip Pearson
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2000

              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2000
                That's what I meant, whoever wrote that Jordan wrote it. Wasn't directing
                it at anyone in particular, since I don't remember who it was.