RE: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Betrayal of Arthur by Sara Douglass

  • Maire
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi Tim,
      I was really interested in your ananlysis of Betrayal.
      I havent read it yet but read at Sara's site that she believes that the
      reason Arhtur is always betrayed (in all the myths/ versions) is ultimately
      because Arthur betrayed himself. Does that sound like right? (about her
      opinoin I mean)
      I read Mists of Avalon when about 11, and it had a huge impact on me, Ever
      since hten I have been fasciniated withe hte Srthurain legend and buy every
      version I can get my hands on. By now, as I said, part of the fascinatinon
      is the different tratments by the different authors.
      Mists is still, for me, perhaps still the most 'real' to me- but probably
      because it did have that impact as the first Arhtuan legend I read- but
      particuarly because of its sympathetic treatment of women, particualarly
      Morgraine, and I guess Igraine etc
      I als mentioned the Winter King- I didnt know the author but a later poster
      revelaed it was Bernard Conwell. Interesetingly, although our posts were
      totally unrelated and written independantly of eahc other, we both said
      similarv things about the books. Ie that it is perhaps the most *realistic*
      treatment of the legend, wheras other authors do romantisize and civilise
      the story and particlarly the setting. Not that I preferred that realism
      exactly- I just found it very .. powerful.
      Anwyya, what I was going to ask was if perhaps I could get back to you on
      Betrayal after I read it? Because I am evry interested to see how I find it,
      after the things that you said, partilarly about Mists and so on. Is that
      ok?
      Maire
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
        Interesting!

        Another non-fiction one you may check out is The Arthurian Tradition by John
        Matthews - he is an Arthurian scholar and has written a lot on the subject -
        as well as The Grail.

        WindDancer

        >its not fiction.
        >you may have heard about Sara Douglass' brilliant fantasy series The Axis
        >Trilogya and the Wayfafer Redemption, but she is actually also a
        >historian.... the Betrayal of Arthur is her examination of the myth, the
        >characters and so on
        >Maire

      • Tim Andrews
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
          I must say that I was really dissapointed in Sara with this book. I
          am generally a big Sara fan, but this book...ech.
          Cheap, sensationalised, populist crap.

          She ignored huge chunks of the legend, selectivly choosing the bits
          that suit the case she is trying to build. This part is especially
          bad, I think, in her Chapter on Merlin. Allow me to digress a tad and
          to show why she is wrong. Forgive me. I can't help myself

          She completly ignore all the good things Merlin did for England. He
          presided over a transition to order out of chaos, and brought a
          purpose to human society. He re-established a monarchy after decades
          of civil wars. He founded the Order of the Round Table which resolved
          disharmony amongst nobles. He set up the Grail Quest that brought an
          ennobling purpose to society. Yet she describes him as "impotent"

          Is Merlin the cause of the knights misfortune as Douglas claims? He
          possessed the knowledge that could have prevented incest, and forgot
          to tell Arthur true, however, the blame must be shared equally
          between him and Arthur, for if Arthur had not committed adultery,
          then the incest would not have occurred in the first place.

          As for Merlin warning Arthur about Guenevere and Lancelot, Douglass
          notes in passing that if Merlin does warn Arthur the Arthur must
          take responsibility, and in the older works, such as Mallory he does,
          and concentrates on The Mist's of Avalon, where Merlin does not warn
          Arthur. She basically pins her entire case on Mist's, a book that, as
          I'm sure you've heard me ramble before, is not a true indication of
          the Arthurian literature.

          Douglas also shows poor understanding of Merlin's love for Vivienne.
          She makes the broad, and erroneous, generalisation that in the
          medieval legends Merlin was smitten with lust not love. She ignores
          all versions of the legend that do not suit her `sensational anti-
          Merlin' belief, and concentrates on a few accounts that are not in
          the core legend. By constantly describing it as a prison, she also
          fails to mention that in the early legend, such as the Vulgate, and
          most of the latte, Merlin was happy with the arrangement.

          Merlin is one of my pet hobbies...so that was a v. simplified account
          of why I think she is wrong on him...
          Tim Andrews
          Your Friendly list moderator

          --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Maire" <mairen@b...> wrote:
          > its not fiction.
          > you may have heard about Sara Douglass' brilliant fantasy series
          The Axis
          > Trilogya and the Wayfafer Redemption, but she is actually also a
          > historian.... the Betrayal of Arthur is her examination of the
          myth, the
          > characters and so on
          > Maire
        • Betsy Godbold
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
            I have also read 'The Winter King', and I agree with you. 'The Winter King'
            is the first novel in the Warlord Chroncicles by Bernard Cornwell. If you
            liked 'The WinterKing' try the other two books: 'Enemy of God' and
            'Excalibur'.

            Betsy

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
              Yes, I liked Bernard Cornwell's trilogy too. For more of this
              realistic type of treatment have you tried Helen Hollick's trilogy,
              and also Parke Godwin's duology ? Parke Godwin - The Firelord,
              Hollick - Pendragon Banner & other books..

              For more of the mystical magical type of treatment, how about Mary
              Stewart (I still love this one starting with the Crystal Cave) and
              Diana Paxson's The Sword and the Spear series ?

              Padma

              Service.

              Service.