RE: [Fantasy_Books] Quinn Taylor Evans--Merlin's Legacy

  • Maire
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
      I also read a 'Arthur' book called I think 'The Winter King' which was
      abzolutely staggering in its brutallly realistic depiction of medieval life.
      Once I had read that book, none of the others ever rang ture again, just in
      terms of the fairly barabaric way they actually lived. Most books tend to
      make it all rahter civilised, which I think is not strictly accurate?
      Maire
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
        I also have a fascination with Arthurian literature. I strongly recommend
        the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. It is definitely the most
        realistic tale of Arthurian England that I have read; some of it's contents
        comply with historical texts.

        Betsy

        >From: "Maire" <mairen@...>
        >To: <Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [Fantasy_Books] Quinn Taylor Evans--Merlin's Legacy
        >Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:17:12 +1000
        >
        >Sounds good... every since reading MZB'z Mists of Avalon, I have had a
        >fascination for the Arthurian legend. What I really love, is that each time
        >I read a different authors treatment of the legend, I can compare te
        >different styles and interpretations. You know, some people make Morgan a
        >villain, in others sh's a hero, same for Guinevere , and even Lancelof and
        >Arthru, The events, and especially the setting change. I read a version
        >recently and the setting was so brutal... but the thing is I think it was
        >probably th most realistic. Like, when they invade Saxon camps or wahtever,
        >and have to kill everyone even children all that stuff. And how they stunk
        >of dung!

      • Cheryl
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
          Another good series concerning King Arthur is the Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. I've read the first four and thoroughly enjoyed them. They also incorporate history as it is known for early medieval Britain. The first book in the series is about two Roman soldiers who are Arthur's great-grandfathers. I highly recommend this series to any King Arthur fans.

          Cheryl C
          I also have a fascination with Arthurian literature. I strongly recommend
          the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. It is definitely the most
          realistic tale of Arthurian England that I have read; some of it's contents
          comply with historical texts.

          Betsy

          >From: "Maire" <mairen@...>
          >To: <Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [Fantasy_Books] Quinn Taylor Evans--Merlin's Legacy
          >Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:17:12 +1000
          >
          >Sounds good... every since reading MZB'z Mists of Avalon, I have had a
          >fascination for the Arthurian legend. What I really love, is that each time
          >I read a different authors treatment of the legend, I can compare te
          >different styles and interpretations. You know, some people make Morgan a
          >villain, in others sh's a hero, same for Guinevere , and even Lancelof and
          >Arthru, The events, and especially the setting change. I read a version
          >recently and the setting was so brutal... but the thing is I think it was
          >probably th most realistic. Like, when they invade Saxon camps or wahtever,
          >and have to kill everyone even children all that stuff. And how they stunk
          >of dung!

        • Maire
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
            Have you read 'The Betrayal of Author' by Sara Douglass?
            I know. It was harsh times and a harsh life. People died young. But I
            like having it romanticized. That is why I read the stories, the myths,
            AND
            the history books.

            WindDancer

          • Maire
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
              its not fiction.
              you may have heard about Sara Douglass' brilliant fantasy series The Axis
              Trilogya and the Wayfafer Redemption, but she is actually also a
              historian.... the Betrayal of Arthur is her examination of the myth, the
              characters and so on

              Service.

            • Maire
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
                Hi Tim,
                I was really interested in your ananlysis of Betrayal.
                I havent read it yet but read at Sara's site that she believes that the
                reason Arhtur is always betrayed (in all the myths/ versions) is ultimately
                because Arthur betrayed himself. Does that sound like right? (about her
                opinoin I mean)
                I read Mists of Avalon when about 11, and it had a huge impact on me, Ever
                since hten I have been fasciniated withe hte Srthurain legend and buy every
                version I can get my hands on. By now, as I said, part of the fascinatinon
                is the different tratments by the different authors.
                Mists is still, for me, perhaps still the most 'real' to me- but probably
                because it did have that impact as the first Arhtuan legend I read- but
                particuarly because of its sympathetic treatment of women, particualarly
                Morgraine, and I guess Igraine etc
                I als mentioned the Winter King- I didnt know the author but a later poster
                revelaed it was Bernard Conwell. Interesetingly, although our posts were
                totally unrelated and written independantly of eahc other, we both said
                similarv things about the books. Ie that it is perhaps the most *realistic*
                treatment of the legend, wheras other authors do romantisize and civilise
                the story and particlarly the setting. Not that I preferred that realism
                exactly- I just found it very .. powerful.
                Anwyya, what I was going to ask was if perhaps I could get back to you on
                Betrayal after I read it? Because I am evry interested to see how I find it,
                after the things that you said, partilarly about Mists and so on. Is that
                ok?
                Maire
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                    No - I'll look for it

                    WindDancer

                    >Have you read 'The Betrayal of Author' by Sara Douglass?

                  • Wind Dancer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                      Interesting!

                      Another non-fiction one you may check out is The Arthurian Tradition by John
                      Matthews - he is an Arthurian scholar and has written a lot on the subject -
                      as well as The Grail.

                      WindDancer

                      >its not fiction.
                      >you may have heard about Sara Douglass' brilliant fantasy series The Axis
                      >Trilogya and the Wayfafer Redemption, but she is actually also a
                      >historian.... the Betrayal of Arthur is her examination of the myth, the
                      >characters and so on
                      >Maire

                    • Tim Andrews
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                        I must say that I was really dissapointed in Sara with this book. I
                        am generally a big Sara fan, but this book...ech.
                        Cheap, sensationalised, populist crap.

                        She ignored huge chunks of the legend, selectivly choosing the bits
                        that suit the case she is trying to build. This part is especially
                        bad, I think, in her Chapter on Merlin. Allow me to digress a tad and
                        to show why she is wrong. Forgive me. I can't help myself

                        She completly ignore all the good things Merlin did for England. He
                        presided over a transition to order out of chaos, and brought a
                        purpose to human society. He re-established a monarchy after decades
                        of civil wars. He founded the Order of the Round Table which resolved
                        disharmony amongst nobles. He set up the Grail Quest that brought an
                        ennobling purpose to society. Yet she describes him as "impotent"

                        Is Merlin the cause of the knights misfortune as Douglas claims? He
                        possessed the knowledge that could have prevented incest, and forgot
                        to tell Arthur true, however, the blame must be shared equally
                        between him and Arthur, for if Arthur had not committed adultery,
                        then the incest would not have occurred in the first place.

                        As for Merlin warning Arthur about Guenevere and Lancelot, Douglass
                        notes in passing that if Merlin does warn Arthur the Arthur must
                        take responsibility, and in the older works, such as Mallory he does,
                        and concentrates on The Mist's of Avalon, where Merlin does not warn
                        Arthur. She basically pins her entire case on Mist's, a book that, as
                        I'm sure you've heard me ramble before, is not a true indication of
                        the Arthurian literature.

                        Douglas also shows poor understanding of Merlin's love for Vivienne.
                        She makes the broad, and erroneous, generalisation that in the
                        medieval legends Merlin was smitten with lust not love. She ignores
                        all versions of the legend that do not suit her `sensational anti-
                        Merlin' belief, and concentrates on a few accounts that are not in
                        the core legend. By constantly describing it as a prison, she also
                        fails to mention that in the early legend, such as the Vulgate, and
                        most of the latte, Merlin was happy with the arrangement.

                        Merlin is one of my pet hobbies...so that was a v. simplified account
                        of why I think she is wrong on him...
                        Tim Andrews
                        Your Friendly list moderator

                        --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Maire" <mairen@b...> wrote:
                        > its not fiction.
                        > you may have heard about Sara Douglass' brilliant fantasy series
                        The Axis
                        > Trilogya and the Wayfafer Redemption, but she is actually also a
                        > historian.... the Betrayal of Arthur is her examination of the
                        myth, the
                        > characters and so on
                        > Maire
                      • Betsy Godbold
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                          I have also read 'The Winter King', and I agree with you. 'The Winter King'
                          is the first novel in the Warlord Chroncicles by Bernard Cornwell. If you
                          liked 'The WinterKing' try the other two books: 'Enemy of God' and
                          'Excalibur'.

                          Betsy

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
                            Yes, I liked Bernard Cornwell's trilogy too. For more of this
                            realistic type of treatment have you tried Helen Hollick's trilogy,
                            and also Parke Godwin's duology ? Parke Godwin - The Firelord,
                            Hollick - Pendragon Banner & other books..

                            For more of the mystical magical type of treatment, how about Mary
                            Stewart (I still love this one starting with the Crystal Cave) and
                            Diana Paxson's The Sword and the Spear series ?

                            Padma

                            Service.

                            Service.