Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Game of Thrones Discussion: maandotter & llebpmac_bob

  • David Whitbeck
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
      Thanks for the info, I'll keep him in mind.

      David

      >--- In Fantasy_Books@y..., David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@u...> wrote:
      >> Excuse my ignorance but who's Tim Powers?
      >>
      >> David
      >>

      >> >It's been a while since I read either of the books (so
      >> >far) in this series, and I think George Martin is a
      >> >fine writer (he's no Tim Powers or Peter Beagle, mind)
      >> >but in a nut shell, too dark, too depressing, too
      >> > > > > >>

      > Tim Powers is the author of The Anubis Gates
      > a sort of time travel magical fantasy set in
      > ninthteen century london if you havnt read it
      > give it a go its a real treat,hes also the author
      > of The Stress of Her Regard which is quite good
      > as well
      > wildfire(malcolm)

    • Robert Campbell
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- malcolm frank williams <wildfire160@...>
        wrote:

        > Tim Powers is the author of The Anubis Gates
        > a sort of time travel magical fantasy set in
        > ninthteen century london if you havnt read it
        > give it a go its a real treat,hes also the author
        > of The Stress of Her Regard which is quite good
        > as well
        > wildfire(malcolm)
        To my way of thinking his The Drawing Of The Dark is a
        far superior novel to The Anubis Gates. There are two
        other novels that I can think of plot lines, but not
        titles (modern 20th Century fantasy) and one adequate
        SF novel written many years ago for Laser.

        Bob Campbell

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • skribe999@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
          dmwhitbeck@... writes:

          > That's good news, I was wondering when those books were going to be
          > reprinted, it seemed hopeless but not understandable: he is a bestselling
          > author.
          >
          > David
          > >If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
          > >out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
          > >everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
          > >LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
          > >pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
          > >to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
          > >recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards,
          > >and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.

          I just finished Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in 1850's Mississippi
          riverboats. Excellent: Stephen King meets Mark Twain! And very well
          written. He's a great writer.

          Eric Luke (skribe999@...)

        • David Whitbeck
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
            Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin novels,
            that's the one I really want to read.

            David

            >In a message dated 6/1/01 2:00:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            >dmwhitbeck@... writes:
            >

            >> That's good news, I was wondering when those books were going to be
            >> reprinted, it seemed hopeless but not understandable: he is a bestselling
            >> author.
            >>
            >> David
            >> >If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
            >> >out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
            >> >everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
            >> >LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
            >> >pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
            >> >to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
            >> >recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards,
            >> >and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.
            >>

            >I just finished Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in 1850's Mississippi
            >riverboats. Excellent: Stephen King meets Mark Twain! And very well
            >written. He's a great writer.
            >
            >Eric Luke (skribe999@...)

          • Lysander
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
              --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., skribe999@a... wrote:
              > I just finished Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in 1850's
              Mississippi
              > riverboats. Excellent: Stephen King meets Mark Twain! And very
              well
              > written. He's a great writer.
              >
              > Eric Luke (skribe999@a...)

              HAH! I just started this book last night! It seems really cool! I've
              heard nothing but amazing reviews on this title!

              Another recommendation- Martin's The Armaggeddon Rag! That was
              awesome too. Very S King. A classic rock, supernatural horror-
              mystery. I did not think that this title would be up my alley, but it
              was pure brilliance!

              -dan
            • Lysander
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
                --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@u...> wrote:
                > Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin
                novels,
                > that's the one I really want to read.
                >
                > David

                Yeah. FOr one, Fevre Dream can be found on Amazon.co.uk

                - in their Fantasy Masterpieces collection.

                It will be released in the US in probably two years.

                A Song for Lya came out- and I loved that book
                Windhaven was just rereleased in the US on Hcover.
                And to be released over the next three years are:
                DYING OF THE LIGHT- which I didn't really care for,
                FEVRE DREAM,
                and ARMAGEDDON RAG, which was awesome.
              • skribe999@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                  In a message dated 6/8/01 11:58:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  dmwhitbeck@... writes:

                  > Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin novels,
                  > that's the one I really want to read.
                  >
                  > David

                  Fevre Dream is available at amazon.uk.com! : )

                  Eric Luke (skribe999@...)

                • William Marnoch
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                    On 8 Jun 01, at 11:49, David Whitbeck wrote:

                    > Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin novels,
                    > that's the one I really want to read.

                    Fevre Dream is already back in print in the UK. I don't know about
                    the US but if it's not out there you could probably order it from
                    www.amazon.co.uk, who do international deliveries.

                    --
                    William Marnoch
                    william@...