Re: [Fantasy_Books] Game of Thrones Discussion

  • Thorin Oakenshield
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
      What do you mean no "edge" to Eddings? Didn't that
      one guy die in the last book of the Belgariad? Oh
      yeah... he came back to life.

      -Thorin

      --- David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@...> wrote:
      > >Well, I've lurked for a while, but I guess it's
      > time I discussed
      > >something. hehe
      > >I was skeptical at first on Game of Thrones, but I
      > must say that I
      > >loved it. I read A clash of kings after, and I'm
      > waiting for Storm
      > >of Swords from the library(cant afford HB's now)
      > >
      > >.............Spoiler.........................
      > Spoiler

      > Hola!!!! I loved Game of Thrones. And like you
      > mentioned: people. The
      > characters possess well character and a complexity
      > to their personality.
      > And I really like how Martin is bold enough to let
      > bad things actually
      > happen to his characters. There's not much edge in
      > say a David Edding's
      > novel because he doesn't let the s*** hit the fan.
      >
      > David

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Thorin Oakenshield
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
        Because of my schedule I'm still only half way through
        it. But I'd agree with your analysis. From what I've
        read I love!

        I think Martin is the O.Henry of fantasy writers with
        more plot twists than Chubbie Checker convention.

        I also enjoy the perspective of several different
        characters. A style H. Turtledove uses as well in his
        books. It seems to give a very well rounded feel to
        the events of the world by letting you into the
        thoughts of the different characters. I have a
        feeling our bastard Jon will soon be challenging Robb
        for leadership in the Stark household. Any thoughts?

        -Thorin

      • Steven Isaacson
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
          * Thorin Oakenshield (dwarrowking@...) wrote:
          > I also enjoy the perspective of several different
          > characters. A style H. Turtledove uses as well in his
          > books. It seems to give a very well rounded feel to
          > the events of the world by letting you into the
          > thoughts of the different characters. I have a
          > feeling our bastard Jon will soon be challenging Robb
          > for leadership in the Stark household. Any thoughts?

          I also like reading books that have many POV's. Martin says that his
          books overlap occasionally for example the chapters from certain characters
          in the 3rd book occur before the end of the 2nd.

          Hmm.... Kinda hard to comment on the last question as I have read all 3
          books.

          I was wondering how many people have read the short story Martin wrote
          for Legends called the Hedge Knight? I thought that this story was very
          excellent.

          Martin is a VERY good author. I love his books, kind of hard to get into
          after I forgot so much. After the 1st 100 pages the books become easier
          to get lost into.

          -steve
          --
          Steven Isaacson <spi@...> http://spi.panaverse.com
        • andrew.smith7
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
            feeling our bastard Jon will soon be challenging Robb
            for leadership in the Stark household. Any thoughts?

            Keep reading.
            While I enjoyed most of the story threads it grated that so many of them were so young.
            The most interesting thread was, for me, that involving Daenerys. It will be interesting to see how far this series will break with conventions as there seem to be no givens so far.
            Andy

          • Lysander
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
              --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Steven Isaacson <spi@m...> wrote:
              > I was wondering how many people have read the short story Martin
              wrote
              > for Legends called the Hedge Knight? I thought that this story was
              very
              > excellent.

              I did- That was what hooked me on Martin in the first place. It was
              60 pages of dynamite!!

              > Martin is a VERY good author. I love his books, kind of hard to get
              into
              > after I forgot so much. After the 1st 100 pages the books become
              easier
              > to get lost into.

              If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
              out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
              everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
              LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
              pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
              to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
              recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards,
              and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.

              -dan
            • Lysander
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                This message is for maandotter & llebpmac_bob...

                You guys rated GAME OF THRONES 1 star (out of 5)... I'm curious. What
                did you find objectionable in this book?
              • Lysander
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                  Anyone not even interested in trying this book? Why not?
                • Lysander
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Although I consider this series to be one of my three favorites of
                    all time, there were three or four characters who bore me:

                    Like someone else said, Sansa is so naive you'll want to smack her,
                    but now in book 3, her chapters are getting interesting.

                    Caetelyn just has no common sense what so ever. She mucks up
                    everything. I hated reading her stuff, until just recently. Now I
                    can't wait to read more about her. Keep reading the series- You'll
                    see why!

                    Bran is just too young. I'm just not interested.

                    And Daenerys (however you spell it). Her chapters from A Game Of
                    Thrones were put together seperate as a novelette, and it won a Hugo
                    award -I can't believe that. I found them terribly boring, and she's
                    worse in Clash. However, she definitely picks up the pace in Storm,
                    but there wasn't a single thing wrong in Storm of Swords. That's just
                    my favorite single book of all time!

                    On the flipside- Martin also wrote some of my favorite characters of
                    all time. Tyrion in particular. Martin said on several occasions that
                    Tyrion is the easiest to write, and that he is Martin's personal
                    favorite- and it shows. After I finish one of his chapters, I am
                    simply dying to get back to him. He is the man!

                    After Storm of Swords, Martin said he plans to let 5 years pass in
                    the events of this series to give all the kids a chance to grow
                    older. I think that will bring only good. Uggh! I can't wait for the
                    next book!

                    -dan
                  • David Whitbeck
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                      That's good news, I was wondering when those books were going to be
                      reprinted, it seemed hopeless but not understandable: he is a bestselling
                      author.

                      David
                      >If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
                      >out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
                      >everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
                      >LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
                      >pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
                      >to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
                      >recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards,
                      >and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.
                      >
                      >-dan

                    • Green Shawna
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                        hello all im new to the group, and from what i
                        understand "A Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin is
                        the book to read for this month of june. Well see if
                        at library tomarrow. My name is shawna, i love
                        reading, among the books ive read this last month is
                        the Dragonlance chronicle series, was going to start
                        the tales soon, shadow chasers, even met the author of
                        this one and got her to sign my book, a first for me.
                        the some text stuff for some research etc. shawna.
                        --- David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@...> wrote:
                        > That's good news, I was wondering when those books
                        > were going to be
                        > reprinted, it seemed hopeless but not
                        > understandable: he is a bestselling
                        > author.
                        >
                        > David
                        > >If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also
                        > might want to check
                        > >out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out
                        > of print,
                        > >everything I've read by him has been dyanmite
                        > (except DYING OF THE
                        > >LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA,
                        > and that was
                        > >pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS
                        > was my favorite
                        > >to date- I got it from the library on inter-town
                        > loan, and I
                        > >recommend you all do the same if you have to! It
                        > won several awards,
                        > >and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and
                        > simple.
                        > >
                        > >-dan
                        > >

                        > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        >

                        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • William Marnoch
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                          On 31 May 01, at 18:18, Brian Barlow wrote:

                          > Well, I've lurked for a while, but I guess it's time I discussed
                          > something. hehe
                          > I was skeptical at first on Game of Thrones, but I must say that I
                          > loved it. I read A clash of kings after, and I'm waiting for Storm
                          > of Swords from the library(cant afford HB's now)
                          >
                          > .............Spoiler.........................

                          > I also found the chapters intriguing in how they were told from a
                          > different persons point of view.

                          It is nice although it can get a bit annoying after a while as there
                          can be big gaps between scenes with a certain character, although
                          most of the time you will get to hear about the same event from
                          other character's perspectives which makes up for it.

                          > As my wife is very sensitive to swearing,
                          > I noticed that he used it more than most fantasy writers. Especially the
                          > f word here and there. At first I was a little sensitive to that, for as
                          > my wife reasons, they couldn't have had those words. Usually writers will
                          > make up there own curse words. "by the light" is one that I've seen.
                          > But, I found his use of swearing was limited to people that would normally
                          > use those words, ie less educated, dumber people. Overall well used.

                          I think it does have a place in the series as it is authentic for
                          soldiers etc. to have quite a coarse vocabulary and since the rest
                          of the dialogue is "translated" into English it doesn't make much
                          sense for swear words to be different in Westeros or wherever.

                          --
                          William Marnoch
                          william@...
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                            On 1 Jun 01, at 20:09, Lysander wrote:

                            > --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Steven Isaacson <spi@m...> wrote:
                            > > I was wondering how many people have read the short story Martin
                            > wrote
                            > > for Legends called the Hedge Knight? I thought that this story was
                            > very
                            > > excellent.
                            >
                            > I did- That was what hooked me on Martin in the first place. It was
                            > 60 pages of dynamite!!

                            It's a fantastic story, one of the best short stories I've read.
                            Apparently he's also said he may do more short stories with the
                            characters some day.

                            > > Martin is a VERY good author. I love his books, kind of hard to get
                            > into
                            > > after I forgot so much. After the 1st 100 pages the books become
                            > easier
                            > > to get lost into.
                            >

                            > If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
                            > out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,

                            A lot of it has just been re-printed in the UK after A Game of
                            Throne's success and should be quite easy to find here or from
                            amazon.co.uk if you live abroad.

                            > everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
                            > LIGHT)

                            I liked Dying of the Light. It was quite depressing admittedly but I
                            thought it was a very well written story.

                            > They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
                            > pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
                            > to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
                            > recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards, and
                            > it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.

                            Windhaven's quite good as well although it's more similair in theme
                            to Anne Mcaffrey's Pern series rather than anything else he's done.

                            --
                            William Marnoch
                            william@...
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                              Brian Barlow wrote:

                              > Anyway, there were lots of reasons I liked it.
                              > First, it's a world building novel, similar to Robert Jordan but I
                              > found it better in that you get to know the people, kingdoms and
                              > politics just as well, but in using far less words(and books) than
                              > Jordan does.
                              > I also found the chapters intriguing in how they were told from a
                              > different persons point of view.
                              > Another thing..at first I was shocked at Bran's injury. I mean how
                              > can a writer make one of the main characters lame in the very
                              > beginning of the book. But, I thought it worked very well. Also, he
                              > is not afraid to kill anyone off. In many fantasy books, it is
                              > almost too easy to predict who is going to die. A few I was quite
                              > shocked. A little at Ned's death, but alot at the death of Daenrys
                              > (sp?) child.(especially after the prophecies)(oops, was that book 2?)
                              > I also thought there were a few "new" ideas that I found intriging.
                              > The "onion" smuggler with his fingers. :)
                              > Oh, one more thing. As my wife is very sensitive to swearing, I
                              > noticed that he used it more than most fantasy writers. Especially
                              > the f word here and there. At first I was a little sensitive to
                              > that, for as my wife reasons, they couldn't have had those words.
                              > Usually writers will make up there own curse words. "by the light"
                              > is one that I've seen. But, I found his use of swearing was limited
                              > to people that would normally use those words, ie less educated,
                              > dumber people. Overall well used.

                              Well, about the f word *shudders over-dramatically*, I think he used it well.
                              It's not that people there didn't have that word, you can't compare fantasy
                              to medieval times (then you won't have boots and the like). Fantasy is an
                              epoch unto itself, and shouldn't really be compared to anywhere else.
                              Additionally, Mary Gentle said about this subject for example, that people
                              didn't indeed have that word in the middle-ages, but in order to make an
                              impact on the current reader, you have to translate stuff like 'In Christ's
                              Bones sakes' to, yes f*ck. That way it makes an impact on the laymen reader
                              and makes him see how bad the word actually is... 'by the light' doesn't
                              really mean anything... It doesn't seem too rude, it's just a stuff people in
                              Jordan's books say. F*ck, would have probably made more sense to people...
                              But that's just me.

                              Yours, Sidharam.

                              --
                              "I like the sound that deadlines make as they go by... WHOOOSH!"
                              -----Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                                It's been a while since I read either of the books (so
                                far) in this series, and I think George Martin is a
                                fine writer (he's no Tim Powers or Peter Beagle, mind)
                                but in a nut shell, too dark, too depressing, too
                                gritty. Too much betrayal, too much violence, torture
                                and so on. Not enough light and hope for me. I gather
                                from what I've heard elsewhere that he was trying to
                                recreate the War of the Roses with magic, and that is
                                one of the most bloody, brutal periods of English
                                history. In that he's done a fine job. But if I want
                                gritty, depressing realism I'll just go ahead and live
                                my own life, thanks.

                                Bob Campbell
                                --- Lysander <dandean@...> wrote:
                                > This message is for maandotter & llebpmac_bob...
                                >
                                > You guys rated GAME OF THRONES 1 star (out of 5)...
                                > I'm curious. What
                                > did you find objectionable in this book?
                                >

                                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                              • malcolm frank williams
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                                  --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., "Lysander" <dandean@o...> wrote:
                                  > --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Steven Isaacson <spi@m...> wrote:
                                  > > I was wondering how many people have read the short story Martin
                                  > wrote
                                  > > for Legends called the Hedge Knight? I thought that this story
                                  was
                                  > very
                                  > > excellent.
                                  >
                                  > I did- That was what hooked me on Martin in the first place. It was
                                  > 60 pages of dynamite!!
                                  >
                                  > > Martin is a VERY good author. I love his books, kind of hard to
                                  get
                                  > into
                                  > > after I forgot so much. After the 1st 100 pages the books become
                                  > easier
                                  > > to get lost into.

                                  Martin also wrote a very good vampire story called
                                  Fevre Dream set on a mississippi riverboat

                                  wildfire(malcolm)
                                  > If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
                                  > out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
                                  > everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
                                  > LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
                                  > pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
                                  > to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
                                  > recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several
                                  awards,
                                  > and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.
                                  >
                                  > -dan
                                • andrew.smith7
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                                    Agree about Bran, Sansa and Caetelyn as far as Game of thrones goes. Loved Tyrion and Daenerys but then I love dragons and it was the one thing that was telegraphed throughout the book. Having this as book of the month has added to my to be read pile as I need to see how things turn out
                                    Andy

                                  • David Whitbeck
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                                      Excuse my ignorance but who's Tim Powers?

                                      David

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                                        No doubt about it. Martin is a very talented writer.
                                        From what I've read so far, I'd say he is one of the
                                        best in the last 30 years.

                                        -Thorin

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                                          --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@u...> wrote:
                                          > Excuse my ignorance but who's Tim Powers?
                                          >
                                          > David
                                          >

                                          > >It's been a while since I read either of the books (so
                                          > >far) in this series, and I think George Martin is a
                                          > >fine writer (he's no Tim Powers or Peter Beagle, mind)
                                          > >but in a nut shell, too dark, too depressing, too

                                          Tim Powers is the author of The Anubis Gates
                                          a sort of time travel magical fantasy set in
                                          ninthteen century london if you havnt read it
                                          give it a go its a real treat,hes also the author
                                          of The Stress of Her Regard which is quite good
                                          as well
                                          wildfire(malcolm)
                                        • David Whitbeck
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                                            Thanks for the info, I'll keep him in mind.

                                            David

                                            >--- In Fantasy_Books@y..., David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@u...> wrote:
                                            >> Excuse my ignorance but who's Tim Powers?
                                            >>
                                            >> David
                                            >>

                                            >> >It's been a while since I read either of the books (so
                                            >> >far) in this series, and I think George Martin is a
                                            >> >fine writer (he's no Tim Powers or Peter Beagle, mind)
                                            >> >but in a nut shell, too dark, too depressing, too
                                            >> > > > > >>

                                            > Tim Powers is the author of The Anubis Gates
                                            > a sort of time travel magical fantasy set in
                                            > ninthteen century london if you havnt read it
                                            > give it a go its a real treat,hes also the author
                                            > of The Stress of Her Regard which is quite good
                                            > as well
                                            > wildfire(malcolm)

                                          • Robert Campbell
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 4, 2001
                                              --- malcolm frank williams <wildfire160@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Tim Powers is the author of The Anubis Gates
                                              > a sort of time travel magical fantasy set in
                                              > ninthteen century london if you havnt read it
                                              > give it a go its a real treat,hes also the author
                                              > of The Stress of Her Regard which is quite good
                                              > as well
                                              > wildfire(malcolm)
                                              To my way of thinking his The Drawing Of The Dark is a
                                              far superior novel to The Anubis Gates. There are two
                                              other novels that I can think of plot lines, but not
                                              titles (modern 20th Century fantasy) and one adequate
                                              SF novel written many years ago for Laser.

                                              Bob Campbell

                                              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                                            • skribe999@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
                                                dmwhitbeck@... writes:

                                                > That's good news, I was wondering when those books were going to be
                                                > reprinted, it seemed hopeless but not understandable: he is a bestselling
                                                > author.
                                                >
                                                > David
                                                > >If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
                                                > >out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
                                                > >everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
                                                > >LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
                                                > >pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
                                                > >to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
                                                > >recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards,
                                                > >and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.

                                                I just finished Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in 1850's Mississippi
                                                riverboats. Excellent: Stephen King meets Mark Twain! And very well
                                                written. He's a great writer.

                                                Eric Luke (skribe999@...)

                                              • David Whitbeck
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
                                                  Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin novels,
                                                  that's the one I really want to read.

                                                  David

                                                  >In a message dated 6/1/01 2:00:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                  >dmwhitbeck@... writes:
                                                  >

                                                  >> That's good news, I was wondering when those books were going to be
                                                  >> reprinted, it seemed hopeless but not understandable: he is a bestselling
                                                  >> author.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> David
                                                  >> >If you like a little sci-fi or horror, you also might want to check
                                                  >> >out his older stuff as well. Although it is all out of print,
                                                  >> >everything I've read by him has been dyanmite (except DYING OF THE
                                                  >> >LIGHT) They just reprinted Martin's A SONG FOR LYA, and that was
                                                  >> >pretty excellent, but I would have to say SANDKINGS was my favorite
                                                  >> >to date- I got it from the library on inter-town loan, and I
                                                  >> >recommend you all do the same if you have to! It won several awards,
                                                  >> >and it really rocked! The man is a genius plain and simple.
                                                  >>

                                                  >I just finished Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in 1850's Mississippi
                                                  >riverboats. Excellent: Stephen King meets Mark Twain! And very well
                                                  >written. He's a great writer.
                                                  >
                                                  >Eric Luke (skribe999@...)

                                                • Lysander
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
                                                    --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., skribe999@a... wrote:
                                                    > I just finished Fevre Dream, a vampire novel set in 1850's
                                                    Mississippi
                                                    > riverboats. Excellent: Stephen King meets Mark Twain! And very
                                                    well
                                                    > written. He's a great writer.
                                                    >
                                                    > Eric Luke (skribe999@a...)

                                                    HAH! I just started this book last night! It seems really cool! I've
                                                    heard nothing but amazing reviews on this title!

                                                    Another recommendation- Martin's The Armaggeddon Rag! That was
                                                    awesome too. Very S King. A classic rock, supernatural horror-
                                                    mystery. I did not think that this title would be up my alley, but it
                                                    was pure brilliance!

                                                    -dan
                                                  • Lysander
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 8, 2001
                                                      --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., David Whitbeck <dmwhitbeck@u...> wrote:
                                                      > Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin
                                                      novels,
                                                      > that's the one I really want to read.
                                                      >
                                                      > David

                                                      Yeah. FOr one, Fevre Dream can be found on Amazon.co.uk

                                                      - in their Fantasy Masterpieces collection.

                                                      It will be released in the US in probably two years.

                                                      A Song for Lya came out- and I loved that book
                                                      Windhaven was just rereleased in the US on Hcover.
                                                      And to be released over the next three years are:
                                                      DYING OF THE LIGHT- which I didn't really care for,
                                                      FEVRE DREAM,
                                                      and ARMAGEDDON RAG, which was awesome.
                                                    • skribe999@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                                                        In a message dated 6/8/01 11:58:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                        dmwhitbeck@... writes:

                                                        > Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin novels,
                                                        > that's the one I really want to read.
                                                        >
                                                        > David

                                                        Fevre Dream is available at amazon.uk.com! : )

                                                        Eric Luke (skribe999@...)

                                                      • William Marnoch
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                                                          On 8 Jun 01, at 11:49, David Whitbeck wrote:

                                                          > Is that one coming back in print? Of all the out of print Martin novels,
                                                          > that's the one I really want to read.

                                                          Fevre Dream is already back in print in the UK. I don't know about
                                                          the US but if it's not out there you could probably order it from
                                                          www.amazon.co.uk, who do international deliveries.

                                                          --
                                                          William Marnoch
                                                          william@...