top20 anyone?

  • sara chamama
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2000
      i know some of mu favorite authors don't deserve to be put up in the top 10,
      but just out of curiosity, would terry pratchett or robert aspin make
      anyones top 20? they are very light reading, not serious fantasy or
      anything, but i enjoy them.

      sara

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • tachyon@freeuk.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2000
        On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:15:12 -0400 (EDT), sara chamama wrote:

        >i know some of mu favorite authors don't deserve to be put up in the top 10,
        >but just out of curiosity, would terry pratchett or robert aspin make
        >anyones top 20? they are very light reading, not serious fantasy or
        >anything, but i enjoy them.

        My goodness - just joined the list & what should arrive
        talk about a straight line(you'll see why later....)
        Yes Pterry is in my top 20 (in fact he's my favourite fantasy author) -
        & just because he writes comic fantasy doesn't mean that there's not a
        lot of depth to them ..or that he doesn't try to address serious
        issues...& the denizens of the Discworld are a lot realer IMO than the
        cardboard cutouts of a lot of fantasy sagas.
        But then i'm hardly a representative sample...since I'm quite active in
        Pratchett fandom & in fact run a Discworld Mailing list here at
        onelist (or egroups as we are supposed to call it now) - send an Email
        to Disc-subscribe@egroups.com if you'd care to join the fun......

        Robert Asprin I'm afraid would be in my bottom 20 - or even 10..
        put it down to the difference between the US & UK sense of humour if you
        will..(I'm assuming you're talking about the MYTH books here...
        I am a fan of his THIEVES WORLD shared world anthology series)
        I do like Piers anthony's Xanth books- but i'm afraid they're getting a
        little tired now...& I was very fond of Alan Dean Fosters Spellsinger
        books - anyone remeber those?
        Oh & since this is my first post just a quick bit about myself
        My name's Mark & I'm from Eastbourne on the South Coast of England.
        I'm more a SF fan than a fantasy fan..& I'm not keen on multi-volume
        epics..(I keep telling people who say i should read Wheel of time that
        I'll take a look at it when its finally finished) MY favourite fantasy
        authors apart from Pterry & Anthony are Donaldson,Feist,Tolkein,
        Eddings ( i managed to get hold of an advance copy of Redemption &
        quite like it...specially cos it's a stand-alone:-))Moorcock & Leiber
        Well its nice to come across such an active on topic list (could anyone
        recommend a similiar list for SF?)..& i look forward to talking to you
        all
        --
        Mark Barltrop aka Tachyon (tachyon@...)
        ICQ Pager - http://wwp.mirabilis.com/13415498