Re: [Fantasy_Books] Digest Number 337

  • Camilla Johansson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2001
      Sidharam Drevekenin wrote:

      > Yes, but you can also look at it differently. I seriously doubt you or anyone
      > else never borrowed a book from a friend or let a friend read a book after you
      > did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't really illegal.
      > Letting people read the prologue after you paid for it is just like letting them
      > borrow it.

      No it's not. If you spread it through the internet or e-mail you are
      making copies of it, and that is very illegal.

      > Besides, Jordan doesn't really need to worry about money. He's a millionaire and
      > more.

      So what if he is a millionaire, it's still his property. I agree with
      Shannon, copying someone's work and sending it around is theft, no
      matter how much money the writer has, or how expensive the work is. If
      you don't want to pay for it then don't buy it. If we start breaking the
      copyright laws with Jordan's (or any other successful writers) works and
      start stealing them, then why should they continue to write books? If
      you can steal from one author why not from every author, which would in
      the end lead to that no-one would own their books, and that authors
      would not be able to make a living on their writing. Which in turn would
      lead to less books, and much longer time between the books (since
      besides writing they would have to have other jobs to support
      themselves).

      Camilla

      "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

      Jacques Anatole Thibault (1844-1924)

    • scribe@fantasci.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2001
        --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Sidharam Drevekenin <hurak@a...> wrote:

        > Yes, but you can also look at it differently. I seriously doubt you
        or anyone
        > else never borrowed a book from a friend or let a friend read a
        book after you
        > did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't really illegal.
        > Letting people read the prologue after you paid for it is just like
        letting them
        > borrow it.
        > Besides, Jordan doesn't really need to worry about money. He's a
        millionaire and
        > more.

        Ah, but loaning your copy of a book to a friend falls under Fair Use.
        Spending your hard-earned dough on a seven dollar paperback allows
        you certain rights. Loaning your property to someone else with NO
        MONETARY EXCHANGE is one of those rights.

        However, illegally copying something and spreading that copy around
        (even for free) is different. Pirating copies of a Web-book (or even
        a chapter, Prolgue, etc.) is illegal in most places (as I understand
        it... I'm not a lawyer, though... don't sue me if I'm wrong).

        Dan
      • Lysander
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2001
          Ahhhh- Just go to the library already! All the books you can read-
          FREE!

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2001
            Lysander wrote:

            > Ahhhh- Just go to the library already! All the books you can read-
            > FREE!

            But you see, the library is a bit different. They pay a small amount to
            the author or publisher everytime someone borrows a book. In the end you
            still pay for it, through your tax.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2001
              Yeah... but you are going to be paying that library tax whether you
              get it from the library or you buy it from the store. So why not take
              advantage of your tax money?
              -dan

              --- In Fantasy_Books@y..., Camilla Johansson <maandotter@c...> wrote:

              > Lysander wrote:
              > >
              > > Ahhhh- Just go to the library already! All the books you can read-
              > > FREE!
              > >

              > But you see, the library is a bit different. They pay a small
              amount to
              > the author or publisher everytime someone borrows a book. In the
              end you
              > still pay for it, through your tax.
              >
              > Camilla

              **

              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2001
                Lysander skrev:

                > Yeah... but you are going to be paying that library tax whether you
                > get it from the library or you buy it from the store. So why not take
                > advantage of your tax money?
                > -dan

                Yes, why not? :)