Susan Cooper

  • Eoin
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2000
      Just saw someone inquire if they would include Susan Cooper's Dark is
      rising sequence in their top ten, too right, I remember reading it
      for the first time in my teens and have still gone back to it time
      and time again, bar the first volume (over sea, under stone, I think)
      it remains one of the most moving and accessible works of fantasy in
      print, there was a British reprint in one volume a few years back but
      I haven't seen much of it in circulation since, although it should be
      obtainable in the individual volumes. Would you believe that it is
      mainly promoted as a childrens/teens item, again it could be read by
      a younger age group but i think a lot of the subtlety would be lost.
      I can still remember the poem.................Odd what things stick
      in your mind. Has anyone else read "The Chosen" by Pinto, would like
      to hear your views. Eoin.
    • Edith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2000
        Yes!! The Dark is Rising series was the first fantasy i read... and
        i loved it!! Over Sea Under Stone nearly turned me off it, but my
        friend who recommended it to me told me to keep reading... it stays
        one of my fave series... tho twas a looooooooooong time ago when i
        read it...

        I've seen an edition where they put all 5 books into one volume,
        anyone else seen it?

        yours in fantasy,
        Edith

        --- In Fantasy_Books@egroups.com, "Eoin " <takhisis@o...> wrote:
        > Just saw someone inquire if they would include Susan Cooper's Dark
        is
        > rising sequence in their top ten, too right, I remember reading it
        > for the first time in my teens and have still gone back to it time
        > and time again, bar the first volume (over sea, under stone, I
        think)
        > it remains one of the most moving and accessible works of fantasy
        in
        > print, there was a British reprint in one volume a few years back
        but
        > I haven't seen much of it in circulation since, although it should
        be
        > obtainable in the individual volumes. Would you believe that it is
        > mainly promoted as a childrens/teens item, again it could be read
        by
        > a younger age group but i think a lot of the subtlety would be
        lost.
        > I can still remember the poem.................Odd what things stick
        > in your mind. Has anyone else read "The Chosen" by Pinto, would
        like
        > to hear your views. Eoin.
      • The Bookdragon Review
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2000
          >Yes!! The Dark is Rising series was the first fantasy i read... and
          >i loved it!!
          >
          >I've seen an edition where they put all 5 books into one volume,
          >anyone else seen it?

          It's available through the SciFi Book Club.

          Blessings,
          Melanie C. Duncan, Editor/Publisher
          The Bookdragon Review (ISSN 1527-0157)
          http://www.bookdragonreview.com