Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list

  • Sylver Leah
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
      Rick,

      >Why do you put Shanara in the top ten? I read them, and liked them >well
      >enough, but I just didn't see anything to warent such high >reviews.

      I loved the Shannara novels. I have always had a fascination for Druids,
      and it was interesting the fashion in which Brooks depicted them. I have to
      admit that I didn't like the Heritage of Shannara books as much as the
      original three and the prequel, First King. They are simply epic fantasies,
      that have a very neatly woven storyline. Easy to read, not confusing, and
      beautiful imagery. One thing I've always hated in writing is too much
      detail, or too little detail. Brooks, like Tolkien, has just the right
      amount of detail in the right spots. Neither of them put too much detail
      into unimportant things. Suffice to say, for instance, that a character has
      a red shirt. If there is nothing special about the shirt, nothing more is
      written. If the shirt is a talisman, something will be said, or if the
      shirt is unique to identifying a character. I don't need to know that the
      shirt was made from fine wool, dyed by hand, and stiched very carefully by
      just the right sized needle. There are many books that I've read, and those
      types of minute details bore the hell out of me. That is why I like the
      Shannara novels.

      >I have not read enough to make a really valid top 10 so I won't post >it.
      >I read Tolkien in 2nd grade, and didn't know unti 12th grade >about fantasy
      >as such.

      If you read Tolien in 2nd grade, I'm assuming you read the Hobbit. The
      Hobbit was written for children, actually came out of stories Tolkien
      himself told his own children. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy can be read by
      children, but they have deeper meaning when you get older. I read them once
      a year, and each time, I get more and more out of it. That is probably the
      reason that Tolkien's works have lasted so long. There is always something
      new to be discovered.

      Geannie. (Sylver.)
    • Mythik
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
        I was just going to add Katherine Kerr!!.... she is FANTASTIC

        shes got 3 series set in Deverry (a celtic-based fantasy world)

        the first is the Epic Deverry series
        [Daggerspell/Darkspell/Dawnspell-the Bristling woods/Dragonspell-the
        southern sea]

        the next, the westlands cycle
        [Time of Exile/ Time of Omens/Time of War/Time of Justice]

        and the third, the Dragon Mage series
        [The Red Wyrven/The Black Raven/The Fire Dragon(release nov2000)/.... (still
        writing!)]

        if you havent read them, do it .... now!!! *grins*
        she and tad williams are my most favourite (in the whole wide wide world :)

        ********Also i dont know if any international ppl out there have heard of
        her, but Sara Douglas' first series (the Axis Trilogy) is completely
        breathtaking [Battleaxe/Enchanter/Starman] she is a (newish) Australian
        fantasy writer********

        unfortunately i have to do the right thing and warn you off the second
        series- the writing is still good, but the content/plot gets too disturbing
        (and not in a good way!!!!) and the characters have no endearing qualities
        at all (it absolutely ruins Faraday, who was probably one of the best
        characters in the first series *bahh!*

        ===Mythik
        Elfwood Gallery 132:
        http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lothlorien/artists/bronwyn/bronwyn.html

        > Hi,
        >
        > Have you read the daverie (I don't know how it's spelled), the first book
        is
        > Daggerspell? I highly recommend it.
        >
        > I can't immagin not being able to hear and the take in the beauti of
        music.
        > My love is my clasical guitar, and were I to loose hearing, I think I'd
        end up
        > dieing. How fast does the close caption m move on the screen? I would
        > immagin it'd have to move rather fast correct?
        >
        > peace,
        > Rick
        >

        > Origin: Atomnos BBS * 412-766-8149

      • Texan Hawk
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
          RE: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list
          BY: "Phillip Pearson" <pnlpearson@...>

          Hi,

          That's great that you majored in music. I'd like to take more courses, but I
          don't have the money right now. I've forgotten a lot of things, remembered a
          lot that I learned. i really need to get back into formal training.

          There is brl sheet music, but I don't know it at all. I play by ear, and mess
          around with friends. I love improv and am rather good at it I've been told.

          I'll look up the spelling of the series I was talking about, but it's very
          good. There are a lot of flashbacks, and it can get anoying. I also like C S
          Friedmen, she writes darker material, but I enjoy it highly.

          Do you have full range for music or is your knowledge more paper? I've lost
          some high end because my ears were really infected, it's amasing I have as
          much hearing as I do. I can't hear computer moniters any more for example.

        • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 25, 2000
            Top tens...

            1. Sheri S Tepper: The True Game
            (King's Blood Four, Necromancer Nine, Wizard's Eleven)

            2. Guy Gavriel Kay: Tigana

            3. Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time

            4. Melanie Rawn: Dragon Prince Trilogy
            (Dragon Prince, Star Scroll, Sunrunner's Fire)
            : Dragon Star Trilogy
            (Stronghold, Dragon Token, Skybowl)

            5. Janny Wurts: Wars of Light and Shadow
            (Curse of the Mistwraith, Ships of Merior, Warhost of Vastmark,
            Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy, and more to come!)
            : Cycle of Fire
            (Stormwarden, Keeper of the Keys, Shadowfane)

            6. C S Friedman: Coldfire Trilogy
            (Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, Crown of Shadows)

            7. Katherine Kurtz: Deryni Chronicles
            (Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate, High Deryni)
            (The Bishop's Heir, The King's Justice, The Quest for Saint Camber)
            (Camber of Culdi, Camber the Heretic, Saint Camber)
            (Heirs of Gwynedd, King Javan's Year, The Bastard Prince)

            8. Katharine Kerr: Deverry Sequence

            9. Mercedes Lackey: Valdemar Books

            10. Kate Elliott: King's Dragon sequence

            There are others, but these are my faves.

            Rob Kerr
          • Texan Hawk
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
              RE: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list
              BY: "Mythik" <citadel@...>

              The southern sea? Where does that fit in? I've read the others, is a uk
              release?

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                RE: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list
                BY: robert_kerr@...

                I love the Coldfire trilogy, very good. the Whell of time got really old in
                my humble oppinion. I read the last book, and will most likely read the
                others, but it rambles way too much.

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                  its the last in the first series.... Dragonspell is the actual title, "the
                  southern sea" is the extra descriptive bit tacked onto the title... i think
                  she added it to tie dawnspell and dragonspell together because they were
                  originally intended to be one volume but got too big.....

                  it was the australian release actually, maybe in uk they released it as one
                  volume, im not sure, but yeah, the last two here were Dawnspell-the
                  bristling woods, and Dragonspell-the southern sea

                  ===Mythik
                  Elfwood Gallery 132:
                  http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lothlorien/artists/bronwyn/bronwyn.html

                  > The southern sea? Where does that fit in? I've read the others, is a uk
                  > release?
                  >
                  > Rick

                • aiofelsie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                    Top ten? ooooooh, this is really hard.....

                    1. Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time.
                    2. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover Series.
                    3. Geroge R Martin, A Song of Fire and Ice
                    4. Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrrow and Thorn
                    5. Mercedes Lackey, from the Black Gryphon right through to Owlknight.
                    6. Katherine Kerr, Deverry, Westlands and Dragon Mage series.
                    7. Melanie Rawn, all the Dragon series.
                    8. Patricia Kennealy, the Keltiad.
                    9. Andre Norton, Witch World series.
                    10. Ursula Le Guin, Earthsea series.

                    Well, that's my list..it only took me an hour to do, and I had to leave so
                    may favs offf! ah well *grin*

                    Opinions, anyone?

                    ;-)

                    aiofelsie.

                    "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
                  • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 27, 2000
                      aiofelsie wrote:

                      > Top ten? ooooooh, this is really hard.....
                      >
                      > 1. Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time.

                      Yep.

                      > 2. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover Series.

                      I've always thought of this as SF rather than fantasy.

                      > 3. Geroge R Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire

                      Hmm. Wouldn't make my top ten.

                      > 4. Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrrow and Thorn

                      Again, wouldn't make my top ten, but only because it's too
                      slow getting started. Otherland, now, would make my top SF ten.

                      > 5. Mercedes Lackey, from the Black Gryphon right through to Owlknight.

                      Is it just me, or is M. Lackey starting to target the younger market
                      with her novels? The earlier books in the Valdemar series dealt with
                      adult issues in a refreshing way, but all her recent books seem to be
                      aimed at the pre-teen/teen market. I hope the trend doesn't continue.

                      > 6. Katherine Kerr, Deverry, Westlands and Dragon Mage series.

                      Yep.

                      > 7. Melanie Rawn, all the Dragon series.

                      Yep, and the Exiles series, and The Golden Key (Diviner's Key due soon!)

                      > 8. Patricia Kennealy, the Keltiad.

                      Haven't read these (see up group).

                      > 9. Andre Norton, Witch World series.

                      Wouldn't make my top ten, but then I haven't read them for ages.

                      > 10. Ursula Le Guin, Earthsea series.

                      Thought about putting this one in, but others pre-empted it. Still
                      very good, though.

                      Hey, would anyone put Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" Sequence in their
                      top ten?

                      Rob Kerr
                    • Elspeth Ryan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 27, 2000
                        On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 robert_kerr@... wrote:

                        > Hey, would anyone put Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" Sequence in their
                        > top ten?

                        hmm..haven't read that....putting it on my "must read list". *grin*

                        ;-)

                        aiofelsie.
                      • Dannielle Spindler-Swart
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 28, 2000
                          >From: "Ethan Chase" <AHobbs3ACE@...>

                          >I am going to be forward and push on you my favorite top ten fantasy
                          >series,

                          How interesting that you do not include the Tolkein books, nor the
                          Eddings books, which seem to be standard fare among the Fantasy fans.
                          For personal favorites, I would have only two to "push" others to read:
                          "A Man of His Word" and "A Handful of Men" tetralogies by Dave Duncan,
                          plus his newest set of three concurrent books set in Chivial, "The Gilded
                          Chain", "Lord of the Fire Lands", and "Sky of Swords".
                          My other recommendation is Elizabeth Moon's "Deed of Paksenarrion"
                          trilogy. Incredibly good!

                          Dannielle

                          "Live never to be ashamed if anything you say or do is published around the
                          world. Even if what is said is untrue." -- Bach, "Illusions"