Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list

  • Phillip Pearson
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
      Hi Rick.

      No, I have not read the Daverie. I will check into it, though.

      I am not completely deaf. In fact, I majored in music theory in college.
      I have played the guitar (electrical) for going on 17 years. I was born
      80% deaf in one ear and 20% deaf in the other. I can hear, but not as good
      as most people. I have a strange condition where it gets worse as I get
      older (I'm 31 now), but volume in not the problem. The problem is clarity.
      I hate when people mumble. I can carry on a normal conversation because I
      have taught myself to read lips and pay attention. Unfortunately, that is
      real hard to do when watching TV or a movie as they tend to mumble or
      sometimes something is said without the person facing the screen. Movies
      are worse because they tend to always have loud music playing over the
      important parts which makes it harder to hear. I have looked into hearing
      aids, but my condition is one in which all a hearing aid does is make the
      mumbling louder, not clearer. To answer another of your questions, yes,
      closed caption does scroll by fast, but I have taught myself to read
      extremely fast (I have taken tests that have timed me at over 600 words per
      minute with 88% understanding - which is supposed to be good). Part of the
      reason I can read fast is due to my training how to read sheet music as I
      play it. You have to be quick. I assume you just play by ear?
      You said earlier that you cannot imagine not hearing the glorious sounds
      of music. I agree. However, there are birds chirping, rivers flowing and
      wind blowing, but the greatest sound in the world to me is the sound of my
      son's laughter.

      Peace and long life,
      Phil

      >From: "Texan Hawk" <r_claypo@...>
      >
      >BY: "Phillip Pearson" <pnlpearson@...>
      >
      >Hi,
      >
      >Have you read the daverie (I don't know how it's spelled), the first book
      >is
      >Daggerspell? I highly recommend it.
      >
      >I can't immagin not being able to hear and the take in the beauti of music.
      >My love is my clasical guitar, and were I to loose hearing, I think I'd end
      >up
      >dieing. How fast does the close caption m move on the screen? I would
      >immagin it'd have to move rather fast correct?
      >
      >peace,
      >Rick

    • Sylver Leah
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
        Rick,

        >Why do you put Shanara in the top ten? I read them, and liked them >well
        >enough, but I just didn't see anything to warent such high >reviews.

        I loved the Shannara novels. I have always had a fascination for Druids,
        and it was interesting the fashion in which Brooks depicted them. I have to
        admit that I didn't like the Heritage of Shannara books as much as the
        original three and the prequel, First King. They are simply epic fantasies,
        that have a very neatly woven storyline. Easy to read, not confusing, and
        beautiful imagery. One thing I've always hated in writing is too much
        detail, or too little detail. Brooks, like Tolkien, has just the right
        amount of detail in the right spots. Neither of them put too much detail
        into unimportant things. Suffice to say, for instance, that a character has
        a red shirt. If there is nothing special about the shirt, nothing more is
        written. If the shirt is a talisman, something will be said, or if the
        shirt is unique to identifying a character. I don't need to know that the
        shirt was made from fine wool, dyed by hand, and stiched very carefully by
        just the right sized needle. There are many books that I've read, and those
        types of minute details bore the hell out of me. That is why I like the
        Shannara novels.

        >I have not read enough to make a really valid top 10 so I won't post >it.
        >I read Tolkien in 2nd grade, and didn't know unti 12th grade >about fantasy
        >as such.

        If you read Tolien in 2nd grade, I'm assuming you read the Hobbit. The
        Hobbit was written for children, actually came out of stories Tolkien
        himself told his own children. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy can be read by
        children, but they have deeper meaning when you get older. I read them once
        a year, and each time, I get more and more out of it. That is probably the
        reason that Tolkien's works have lasted so long. There is always something
        new to be discovered.

        Geannie. (Sylver.)
      • Mythik
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
          I was just going to add Katherine Kerr!!.... she is FANTASTIC

          shes got 3 series set in Deverry (a celtic-based fantasy world)

          the first is the Epic Deverry series
          [Daggerspell/Darkspell/Dawnspell-the Bristling woods/Dragonspell-the
          southern sea]

          the next, the westlands cycle
          [Time of Exile/ Time of Omens/Time of War/Time of Justice]

          and the third, the Dragon Mage series
          [The Red Wyrven/The Black Raven/The Fire Dragon(release nov2000)/.... (still
          writing!)]

          if you havent read them, do it .... now!!! *grins*
          she and tad williams are my most favourite (in the whole wide wide world :)

          ********Also i dont know if any international ppl out there have heard of
          her, but Sara Douglas' first series (the Axis Trilogy) is completely
          breathtaking [Battleaxe/Enchanter/Starman] she is a (newish) Australian
          fantasy writer********

          unfortunately i have to do the right thing and warn you off the second
          series- the writing is still good, but the content/plot gets too disturbing
          (and not in a good way!!!!) and the characters have no endearing qualities
          at all (it absolutely ruins Faraday, who was probably one of the best
          characters in the first series *bahh!*

          ===Mythik
          Elfwood Gallery 132:
          http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lothlorien/artists/bronwyn/bronwyn.html

          > Hi,
          >
          > Have you read the daverie (I don't know how it's spelled), the first book
          is
          > Daggerspell? I highly recommend it.
          >
          > I can't immagin not being able to hear and the take in the beauti of
          music.
          > My love is my clasical guitar, and were I to loose hearing, I think I'd
          end up
          > dieing. How fast does the close caption m move on the screen? I would
          > immagin it'd have to move rather fast correct?
          >
          > peace,
          > Rick
          >

          > Origin: Atomnos BBS * 412-766-8149

        • Texan Hawk
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
            RE: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list
            BY: "Phillip Pearson" <pnlpearson@...>

            Hi,

            That's great that you majored in music. I'd like to take more courses, but I
            don't have the money right now. I've forgotten a lot of things, remembered a
            lot that I learned. i really need to get back into formal training.

            There is brl sheet music, but I don't know it at all. I play by ear, and mess
            around with friends. I love improv and am rather good at it I've been told.

            I'll look up the spelling of the series I was talking about, but it's very
            good. There are a lot of flashbacks, and it can get anoying. I also like C S
            Friedmen, she writes darker material, but I enjoy it highly.

            Do you have full range for music or is your knowledge more paper? I've lost
            some high end because my ears were really infected, it's amasing I have as
            much hearing as I do. I can't hear computer moniters any more for example.

          • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 25, 2000
              Top tens...

              1. Sheri S Tepper: The True Game
              (King's Blood Four, Necromancer Nine, Wizard's Eleven)

              2. Guy Gavriel Kay: Tigana

              3. Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time

              4. Melanie Rawn: Dragon Prince Trilogy
              (Dragon Prince, Star Scroll, Sunrunner's Fire)
              : Dragon Star Trilogy
              (Stronghold, Dragon Token, Skybowl)

              5. Janny Wurts: Wars of Light and Shadow
              (Curse of the Mistwraith, Ships of Merior, Warhost of Vastmark,
              Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy, and more to come!)
              : Cycle of Fire
              (Stormwarden, Keeper of the Keys, Shadowfane)

              6. C S Friedman: Coldfire Trilogy
              (Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, Crown of Shadows)

              7. Katherine Kurtz: Deryni Chronicles
              (Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate, High Deryni)
              (The Bishop's Heir, The King's Justice, The Quest for Saint Camber)
              (Camber of Culdi, Camber the Heretic, Saint Camber)
              (Heirs of Gwynedd, King Javan's Year, The Bastard Prince)

              8. Katharine Kerr: Deverry Sequence

              9. Mercedes Lackey: Valdemar Books

              10. Kate Elliott: King's Dragon sequence

              There are others, but these are my faves.

              Rob Kerr
            • Texan Hawk
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                RE: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list
                BY: "Mythik" <citadel@...>

                The southern sea? Where does that fit in? I've read the others, is a uk
                release?

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                  RE: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Top ten list
                  BY: robert_kerr@...

                  I love the Coldfire trilogy, very good. the Whell of time got really old in
                  my humble oppinion. I read the last book, and will most likely read the
                  others, but it rambles way too much.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                    its the last in the first series.... Dragonspell is the actual title, "the
                    southern sea" is the extra descriptive bit tacked onto the title... i think
                    she added it to tie dawnspell and dragonspell together because they were
                    originally intended to be one volume but got too big.....

                    it was the australian release actually, maybe in uk they released it as one
                    volume, im not sure, but yeah, the last two here were Dawnspell-the
                    bristling woods, and Dragonspell-the southern sea

                    ===Mythik
                    Elfwood Gallery 132:
                    http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lothlorien/artists/bronwyn/bronwyn.html

                    > The southern sea? Where does that fit in? I've read the others, is a uk
                    > release?
                    >
                    > Rick

                  • aiofelsie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 26, 2000
                      Top ten? ooooooh, this is really hard.....

                      1. Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time.
                      2. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover Series.
                      3. Geroge R Martin, A Song of Fire and Ice
                      4. Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrrow and Thorn
                      5. Mercedes Lackey, from the Black Gryphon right through to Owlknight.
                      6. Katherine Kerr, Deverry, Westlands and Dragon Mage series.
                      7. Melanie Rawn, all the Dragon series.
                      8. Patricia Kennealy, the Keltiad.
                      9. Andre Norton, Witch World series.
                      10. Ursula Le Guin, Earthsea series.

                      Well, that's my list..it only took me an hour to do, and I had to leave so
                      may favs offf! ah well *grin*

                      Opinions, anyone?

                      ;-)

                      aiofelsie.

                      "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
                    • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 27, 2000
                        aiofelsie wrote:

                        > Top ten? ooooooh, this is really hard.....
                        >
                        > 1. Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time.

                        Yep.

                        > 2. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover Series.

                        I've always thought of this as SF rather than fantasy.

                        > 3. Geroge R Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire

                        Hmm. Wouldn't make my top ten.

                        > 4. Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrrow and Thorn

                        Again, wouldn't make my top ten, but only because it's too
                        slow getting started. Otherland, now, would make my top SF ten.

                        > 5. Mercedes Lackey, from the Black Gryphon right through to Owlknight.

                        Is it just me, or is M. Lackey starting to target the younger market
                        with her novels? The earlier books in the Valdemar series dealt with
                        adult issues in a refreshing way, but all her recent books seem to be
                        aimed at the pre-teen/teen market. I hope the trend doesn't continue.

                        > 6. Katherine Kerr, Deverry, Westlands and Dragon Mage series.

                        Yep.

                        > 7. Melanie Rawn, all the Dragon series.

                        Yep, and the Exiles series, and The Golden Key (Diviner's Key due soon!)

                        > 8. Patricia Kennealy, the Keltiad.

                        Haven't read these (see up group).

                        > 9. Andre Norton, Witch World series.

                        Wouldn't make my top ten, but then I haven't read them for ages.

                        > 10. Ursula Le Guin, Earthsea series.

                        Thought about putting this one in, but others pre-empted it. Still
                        very good, though.

                        Hey, would anyone put Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" Sequence in their
                        top ten?

                        Rob Kerr
                      • Elspeth Ryan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 27, 2000
                          On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 robert_kerr@... wrote:

                          > Hey, would anyone put Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" Sequence in their
                          > top ten?

                          hmm..haven't read that....putting it on my "must read list". *grin*

                          ;-)

                          aiofelsie.
                        • Dannielle Spindler-Swart
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 28, 2000
                            >From: "Ethan Chase" <AHobbs3ACE@...>

                            >I am going to be forward and push on you my favorite top ten fantasy
                            >series,

                            How interesting that you do not include the Tolkein books, nor the
                            Eddings books, which seem to be standard fare among the Fantasy fans.
                            For personal favorites, I would have only two to "push" others to read:
                            "A Man of His Word" and "A Handful of Men" tetralogies by Dave Duncan,
                            plus his newest set of three concurrent books set in Chivial, "The Gilded
                            Chain", "Lord of the Fire Lands", and "Sky of Swords".
                            My other recommendation is Elizabeth Moon's "Deed of Paksenarrion"
                            trilogy. Incredibly good!

                            Dannielle

                            "Live never to be ashamed if anything you say or do is published around the
                            world. Even if what is said is untrue." -- Bach, "Illusions"