Re: [Fantasy_Books] War oriented fantasy

  • Dianne Hughes
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2000
      What about the Lois McMaster Bujold Vorkosigan series, some of them
      are about war in space, though not actually lobbing shells at one another
      but good books all the same.
      Dianne Hughes

    • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2000
        telefone@... wrote:

        > Can anyone suggest some good war oriented fantasy novels? In the vein
        > of Chris Bunch or the like?

        Elizabeth Moon: The Deed of Paksenarrion (series name, and collected title)
        comprises three books: Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and
        Oath of Gold

        Steve Erikson: Gardens of the Moon

        Guy Gavriel Kay: Tigana

        Michelle West: The Sun Sword (series name)
        comprises: The Broken Crown, The Uncrowned King, and The Shining Court thus far.
        Series is not yet complete

        Mary Gentle: Grunts

        Military fantasy is not yet a greatly explored sub-genre, though there are
        authors who seem to be interested in it to the exclusion of all else. If
        you've already read Chris Bunch and Allan Cole, read Elizabeth Moon
        first of those above -- she was in the US Marine Corps, so her military
        knowledge is first rate. She writes a mean story, too. Since Deed, she
        has moved toward SF (which is also really good). There is a prequel to
        Deed, called The Legacy of Gird, which is also good.

        There is a lot of fantasy which has a war as its background, but concentrates
        on other issues: Melanie Rawn's second Dragon trilogy is a good example.
        I think though, from the wording of your request, that you are looking for
        authors who make the _military_, rather than war, their focus. Hope this
        list comes in useful.

        Rob Kerr
      • Ethan Chase
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 23, 2000
          If you want to read an awesome war oriented Fantasy , pick up John
          Marco's Jackal of Nar and the just released The Grand Design. These
          are his first two books and they are phenomenal. You can visit his
          website http://www.tyrantsandkings.com to read a sample chapter I
          believe. But as I said, he is phenomenal!
        • Ethan Chase
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 23, 2000
            If you haven't read Raymond E Fiest's Riftwar Saga, well run, don't
            walk to your closest book store or computer terminal, (I guess you
            wouldn't have to run to that since you are sitting there) and get
            these books. They are awesome. Magician Apprentice/magician
            Master/Silverthorn/A Darkness at Sethanon. Probably one of my
            favorite war fantasy. And then there is the other series by Feist
            and Wurts that takes place on the otherside of the Rift. The Empire
            trilogy Daughter of the Empire/Servant of the Empire/Mistress of the
            Empire. Also awesome
          • Sarah Moench
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2000
              I know this is late, but I just joined and was browsing the archives. I'm
              assuming the original poster (joe I think) was referring to the Sten series
              by Chris Bunch and Alan Cole. They are a fun read.

              If you haven't tried The Mageworld series you are really missing out. The
              series is by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald. There is a main trilogy
              which is:
              The Price of the Stars
              Starpilot's Grave
              By Honor Betray'd

              There is a prequel called The Gathering Flame and a pre-prequel called The
              Stars Asunder, but don't read either until after the trilogy. Otherwise
              there are some major spoilers in store.

              These are great books. Space opera/war between worlds/convoluted without
              ever losing the reader.

              You might also check out the Deathstalker series by Simon Green. Or his
              Hawk and Fisher stories which are being re-released.

              If you try/have tried the Mageworld books, please let me know what you
              think.

              Sarah (back to the archives to see what else I've missed.)