Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: All Gone...............

  • Dale Jory
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2001
      I have enjoyed the Shannara series though i would
      class it as lite fantasy, a good read but nothing
      outstanding. The rest of the series is similar in
      format to Sword of Shannara so if you aren't enjoying
      Sword then you probably wll not enjoy the others.

      Dale

      --- Peta <petas@...> wrote:
      > I have
      > been ploughing through Terry Brooks' The Sword of
      > Shannara but
      > must say that I am not overly impressed. I find it
      > very predictable -
      > very Middle Earthian in fact. What do other people
      > think of the
      > Shannara series. Does it get any better?
      >
      > Peta

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
        RE: [Fantasy_Books] Re: All Gone...............
        BY: "Peta" <petas@...>

        I hear a lot of people compare the Sword of Shanra to the middleearth of
        Tolkien. I've even seen some rewviews on amazon.com, which appear to strethc
        the point. I.e, the companions are the same in number as those in the LOTR.

        The darklord in boh are kind of simular, but how many series have a darklord?
        I think one of the most laughable was Master Dark in Magic's Price.

        The series does improove as it devolopes, but nothing great. Some might argue,
        and I agree that the second series in this world is better. Not great, but
        better.

        must end this email.
        /s

        These books aren't bad. I jprefer them to sertin authors who go on and

        Origin: Atomnos BBS * 412-766-8149
      • Jason Coplen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
          > RE: [Fantasy_Books] Re: All Gone...............
          > BY: "Peta" <petas@...>
          >
          > I hear a lot of people compare the Sword of Shanra to the middleearth of
          > Tolkien. I've even seen some rewviews on amazon.com, which appear to
          strethc
          > the point. I.e, the companions are the same in number as those in the
          LOTR.

          > The darklord in boh are kind of simular, but how many series have a
          darklord?
          > I think one of the most laughable was Master Dark in Magic's Price.

          Um, Jordan has a dark lord. Damn him for using the same generic name I used
          in my roleplaying games years earlier!

          > The series does improove as it devolopes, but nothing great. Some might
          argue,
          > and I agree that the second series in this world is better. Not great,
          but
          > better.

          I quit reading the first Shannara novel due to boredom. I don't know about
          the rest of them books.

          > must end this email.
          > /s
          >
          > These books aren't bad. I jprefer them to sertin authors who go on and

          Jordan rambles on badly. Quite a few modern authors do the same.

          http://www.olendiak.com/

          Remberest thou? Enormous gongs of stone
          Were stricken, and the storming trumpeteers
          Acclaimed my deed to answering tides of spears,
          And spoke the names of monsters overthrown-
          Griffins whose angry gold, and fervid store
          Of sapphires wrenched from mountain-plunged mines-
          Carnelians, opals, agates, almandines,
          I brought to thee some scarlet eve of yore.

          In the wide fane that shrined thee Venus-wise,
          The fallen clamors died...I heard that tune
          Of tiny bells of pearl and melanite,
          Hung at thy knees, and arms of dreamt delight;
          And placed my wealth before thy fabled eyes,
          Pallid and pure as jaspers from the moon.
          ~Clark Ashton Smith