Re: [Fantasy_Books] Hi!!!

  • robert_kerr@computacenter.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 2:00 AM
      From: "Solemn Sage " <01457@...>

      > I am one of those new members you have been talking about.

      A belated welcome!

      > I have read all of Eddings, all of Goodkind, and have read an
      > assorted few by some lesser known authors. Since I have finished
      > most of the books I have found, my question to all of you is, What
      > other books are really great? I would love a few suggestions!

      You might be interested to know of a new Eddings book due out later
      this year (I believe) - The Redemption of Althalus. Goodkind...well,
      I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Personally I find him too
      derivative (but then, I'm a jaded, cynical reader). If you read him
      before you rad Robert Jordan, I guess I can see why you like him so
      much, and I'll admit that there is some small merit in his books when
      considered on those terms.

      > Of course, my taste is different, because I like so many others claim
      > that I am a writer in the genre as well. (I have only been published
      > once, so don't try too hard to find anything...) So I struggle to
      > find out what has and is being published, to keep up with the market
      > - so to speak.

      Once is considerably more than many who claim to be writers. Kudos to
      you! Who published you? How long did it take?

      Welcome again!

      Rob Kerr
    • Sylver Leah
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 2:42 PM
        Jack Whyte is a Scottish born, Canadian Author. You can pick up his books
        in the states, but they are under a different collective name than the Dream
        of Eagles Cycle, as It is called in Canada. The novels are titled as
        follows:

        The Skystone
        The Singing Sword
        The The Eagles Brood
        The Saxon Shore
        The Sorcerer

        In actuality, I think that there are two different titles under the Sorcerer
        Heading, the Metamorphosis and the Fort at River's Bend. I'm not sure.
        I've read them all, and a new title will be out this year, Uther. The Story
        of Uther Pendragon.

        The way that he writes these books is interesting. He portrays Camelot as a
        settlement called Camulod. Camulod comes about with the dream of a couple
        of ex-Roman soldiers in Britain. Arthur is born eventually from a union
        between Uther (who is part Roman, part Celtic.) It's very amazing how he's
        put the whole legend into a more historical point of view, rather than myth
        or legend. Merlin in these books is actually Athur's cousin. The web site,
        official, but I don't think has been updated in an age or so, is
        www.camulod.com

        Geannie (Sylver)

        Could you please send me some info about the Whyte books, cause I'm actually
        studing a bit of Arthurian legend at the moment, and how it has been
        adapted, and i do'nt seem to have heard of the Deam of Eagles.

        Many thanks

        Tim
        Your friendly list moderator

      • aiofelsie
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26 11:03 PM
          Well, I'm a new member also. Haven't been posting at all because of
          pressures in real life.

          Anyway.

          I have been reading fantasy and science fiction since I was about 5 years
          old. Andre Norton, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Mercedes Lackey, Tolkien, CS
          Lewis, Robert Jordan, Patricia Kennealy, Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg,
          David Brin, Anne McCaffrey, Katherine Kerr, Greg Egan, Terry Pratchet, Terry
          Brooks, David Eddings, Raymond E Fiest, Brian Aldiss, Sara Douglas, Frank
          Herbert, Julian May, Larry Niven, Douglas Adams and William Gibson are just
          a few of my favourite authors. I read alot :)

          That's my little bit

          ;-)

          aiofelsie.