Re: [Fantasy_Books] Digest Number 238

  • Mike DePaoli
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2000
      In regard to David Eddings: I can't stand him. Okay, sure the Belgariad
      was good. That was when he was more modest, because he wasn't as famous
      yet. The Mallorean was good up to the Sorceress of Darshiva, but then
      his ego started to show. And it never stopped showing since. Both the
      Elenium and Tamuli series was a grand show of self-congratulation. "hey
      look at me I'm a big fat famous fantasy writer who can write anything
      he wants despite the fact that his second two series plotted almost exactly
      like his first two." His characters were never really in any danger.
      He resurrected some of his characters (!) By the end of The Hidden City
      I said to myself "I will never read another Eddings book again." And
      I haven't. And I'm happier for it.

      --
      Mike DePaoli
      mikedepaoli@... - email

      FREE voicemail, email and fax, all in one place. Sign Up Now! http://www.mybc.com
    • Jason Coplen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2000
        Mike DePaoli wrote:

        > In regard to David Eddings: I can't stand him. Okay, sure the Belgariad
        > was good. That was when he was more modest, because he wasn't as famous
        > yet. The Mallorean was good up to the Sorceress of Darshiva, but then
        > his ego started to show. And it never stopped showing since. Both the
        > Elenium and Tamuli series was a grand show of self-congratulation. "hey
        > look at me I'm a big fat famous fantasy writer who can write anything
        > he wants despite the fact that his second two series plotted almost exactly
        > like his first two." His characters were never really in any danger.
        > He resurrected some of his characters (!) By the end of The Hidden City
        > I said to myself "I will never read another Eddings book again." And
        > I haven't. And I'm happier for it.
        >
        > --

        *LOL* Oh my god! I agree so wholeheartedly I'm almost in tears from
        laughing. Eddings was good when I was a teen, but now I refuse to read
        his stuff. I give a few authors that treatment - Terry Goodkind, Stephen
        King, and L. Sprague de Camp (pretentious bastard if I ever read
        one)....to name a few.

        Maybe I just grew up..nah! I'm more into fantasy now than I was as a
        teen :)

        Registered Linux User #193037

        http://www.olendiak.com