Sci-Fi Fantasy. Where to draw the line.

  • Curtis Craddock
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      What line? Where? I've had many long discussions about drawing the
      line between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and most of the evidence points to
      the difference being marketing strategy. "Fantasy" books sell to
      Demographic A and "Science Fiction" books sell to demographic B,
      hence marketing departments like the terms, though the division is
      practically meaningless in terms of literary distinction.

      As a point to ponder. The term "Science Fiction" represents the
      broadest of all possible literary spectrums, including every possible
      situation from the creation to the eventual annihilation of every
      concievable universe. Therefore, all other forms of writing, being
      more limited, are subsets of Science-Fiction. (Try to convince the
      editors of the New Yorker of this and you will be forever banished
      from the annals of society--or at least from the pages of the New
      Yorker--but it's good for a laugh.)

      So what is everyone reading this week?

      Curtis Craddock