i'm new - eye of the world discussions?

  • loriw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 12, 2012
      I'm new to this group and I read all sorts of fantasy books.

      Are there any discussions of "Eye of the World" on this list? A friend of mine and I are reading it and i would love to see another discussion, perhaps with a list of questions?

      I'll read the instructions and rules and look forward to participating.
      Thanks,
      Lori
    • Bill Garthright
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 20, 2012
        > Are there any discussions of "Eye of the World" on this list?

        Lori, there hasn't been much discussion of ANYTHING on this list for
        awhile. Too bad, but I usually just lurk, myself.

        Regarding "Eye of the World" - and the whole Wheel of Time series - it's
        been awhile since I read them, so... I don't know what I can say. I had
        some problems with the series right from the start, but other parts were
        so good that I couldn't wait for a new book in the series. It was badly
        flawed, but still lots of fun.

        Eventually, though, the story stopped going anywhere at all. We'd get an
        entire book with nothing happening, absolutely NO closer to any kind of
        resolution. It looked like the series was going to be a lifetime project
        (which it was, for the author), sort of a guaranteed income sort of
        thing. So I stopped reading it entirely.

        I stuck it out for ten books, which is probably three or four more than
        I should have. And I have absolutely no desire to get the others now.
        But hey, maybe you've got a different opinion? I know that a new author
        is finishing the series. Have you read that far in it? What do you think?

        Bill

        http://garthright.blogspot.com/

        --
        There is a rumor going around that I have found God. I think this is
        unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 21, 2012
          Hi,

          I agree on WOT. Some people love it because of the huge world building. I hated it because of the poor editing, unresolved plot ends, and ubnlikable characters.

          The dynamics between the women and men got old very quickly. Last I read, there wre a couple groups of women, trying to out do each other.

          The first 3 books ended with this confrontation, bad Starwars dialog, and nothing happening.

          Part of the problem lies in the desire of the public for doorstop series that go on and on and on forever.

          In today's world, a fantasy author gets locked into a series, and gets flack when she tries to do anything else. This, sadly, means that authors can't expand, try nw and completely different worlds.

          Brandon, whatever his name, will do a good job with the series i think. Apparently, he views Jordan as the best fantasy writer, and will, out of love for the series,finish it as Jordan would want. All that said, people are more than likly going to argue on forums over Jordan would have made this character act this way or anothyer. It's WWJD do, ut this time, it's not what would Jesus do but what would Jordan do. Hmmm, we've got 2 of those going on. In appleland, it's, What would Jobs do.

          I need to read the last 2 book in a Song of Ice and Fire that were put out. Havn't been in the mood for doorstop novels as of late. I do prefer Martin's work .. I just hope the past 2 novels won't have changed my mind on tht score.

          twitter
          http://twitter.com/richardclayppol
          last.fm
          http://www.last.fm/user/lord_of_beer
          msn
          bellevue.bat@...
          skype
          lord_of_beer
          > Are there any discussions of "Eye of the World" on this list?

          Lori, there hasn't been much discussion of ANYTHING on this list for
          awhile. Too bad, but I usually just lurk, myself.

          Regarding "Eye of the World" - and the whole Wheel of Time series - it's
          been awhile since I read them, so... I don't know what I can say. I had
          some problems with the series right from the start, but other parts were
          so good that I couldn't wait for a new book in the series. It was badly
          flawed, but still lots of fun.

          Eventually, though, the story stopped going anywhere at all. We'd get an
          entire book with nothing happening, absolutely NO closer to any kind of
          resolution. It looked like the series was going to be a lifetime project
          (which it was, for the author), sort of a guaranteed income sort of
          thing. So I stopped reading it entirely.

          I stuck it out for ten books, which is probably three or four more than
          I should have. And I have absolutely no desire to get the others now.
          But hey, maybe you've got a different opinion? I know that a new author
          is finishing the series. Have you read that far in it? What do you think?

          Bill

          http://garthright.blogspot.com/

          --
          There is a rumor going around that I have found God. I think this is
          unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is
          empirical evidence that they exist. - Terry Pratchett

        • jamie
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 21, 2012
            I like the wheel of time but i do think robert jordan tried to put too much in. it makes a good series but i can see how some people would not like it. The problem is there is not enough really great fantasy serieses. people go to a bit of horrer in to or put it on earth. That works and many people like that but i do not class that as real fantasy. I liked george r r martin’s books at first but gave up when every good char and all of my favourite chars got killed. I am not saying it is not good but just imagine if the fellowship and all the elves and all things good got killed in lord of the rings. I just could not go on with it.

            JAMIE COADY ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL, ONE RING TO FIND THEM. ONE RING TO BRING THEM ALL, AND IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM.

[...]

            mailto:bellevue.bat%40gmail.com
            skype
            lord_of_beer

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 21, 2012
              Hi,

              There's good fantasy. The Deryni Chronicles being one example.

              I've grown to slightly come to the feeling of a member who used to be in here. Tolkien's world, while bassed on myth, had it's own narrow propigandist feel. I respect Tolkien, but can't say as I love his world.

              Martin's deving a more dark, more mature world imho. In war, good people die, and bad don't. This isn't the tipical fantasy series, person leave, goes through adventures, and returns hoe changed for the better.

              My least fav series out of the 3 mainstream doorstop series is SOT. Nevermind glairing paralels to WOT. His preachy style got on my nerves rather quickly, most of all when FOTF came around. If you want to be the next Aynd Ran, that's fine, but do we need so many books, then a tie in book to proove a point? I also got miffed that Goodkind always got pissy about his material being classified as fantasy, and not as a philosophical work.

              I miss the old convesattions that used to go on around here. At least there are still some interesting ones in the Tim Power's fan group. sadly, yahoogroups is not what it once was.

              twitter
              http://twitter.com/richardclayppol
              last.fm
              http://www.last.fm/user/lord_of_beer
              msn
              bellevue.bat@...
              skype
              lord_of_beer
              I like the wheel of time but i do think robert jordan tried to put too much in. it makes a good series but i can see how some people would not like it. The problem is there is not enough really great fantasy serieses. people go to a bit of horrer in to or put it on earth. That works and many people like that but i do not class that as real fantasy. I liked george r r martin’s books at first but gave up when every good char and all of my favourite chars got killed. I am not saying it is not good but just imagine if the fellowship and all the elves and all things good got killed in lord of the rings. I just could not go on with it.

              JAMIE COADY ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL, ONE RING TO FIND THEM. ONE RING TO BRING THEM ALL, AND IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM.

              > Are there any discussions of "Eye of the World" on this list?

              Lori, there hasn't been much discussion of ANYTHING on this list for
              awhile. Too bad, but I usually just lurk, myself.

              Regarding "Eye of the World" - and the whole Wheel of Time series - it's
              been awhile since I read them, so... I don't know what I can say. I had
              some problems with the series right from the start, but other parts were
              so good that I couldn't wait for a new book in the series. It was badly
              flawed, but still lots of fun.

              Eventually, though, the story stopped going anywhere at all. We'd get an
              entire book with nothing happening, absolutely NO closer to any kind of
              resolution. It looked like the series was going to be a lifetime project
              (which it was, for the author), sort of a guaranteed income sort of
              thing. So I stopped reading it entirely.

              I stuck it out for ten books, which is probably three or four more than
              I should have. And I have absolutely no desire to get the others now.
              But hey, maybe you've got a different opinion? I know that a new author
              is finishing the series. Have you read that far in it? What do you think?

              Bill

              http://garthright.blogspot.com/

              --
              There is a rumor going around that I have found God. I think this is
              unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is
              empirical evidence that they exist. - Terry Pratchett

            • Kat Hooper
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 21, 2012
                I must agree with Richard about Goodkind and with what others have said
                about WOT getting really slow. Brandon Sanderson is a great writer, though,
                and I think the series is picking up again. We've got them all reviewed at
                FanLit (www.fantasyliterature.com), if you want to know about particular
                books. There are a couple that could easily be skipped!

                Kat
                www.fantasyliterature.com

                Website <http://www.fantasyliterature.com>
                Twitter<http://twitter.com/FanLit>
                Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/fantasyliterature> RSS
                feed<http://fantasyliterature.com/feed/>
                Email newsletter<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=FantasyLiteratureNewsInterviews>

              • jamie
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 21, 2012
                  talking about books being skipped well i started at book 11. but most series has a few books that are not neccessary to read but that is just the way it is.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
                    Hi,

                    I'm blind, and the only books I have access to from the library of congress are: Warbreaker, and The way of kings. Of course, this is subjective, but are either of these any good?

                    The Way of Kings looks like a beast, clocking in at around 43 hours in audio.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
                      Book 11 on whicbh series, TWOT? In that world, it would leave a lot of dangling backstory. If you mean SOT, Goodkind must think we're stupid, so he keeps reminding us of past events every few pages, so you're not missing much. Actuall, wait, you are. You're missing the first couple of books, which don't get preachy.

                      Interestingly enough, Goodkind said that those who don't understand or appriciate his work are like children throwing rocks through windows, and destorying beauty and things they don't understand.

                      I need to start the rainwilds serries by Hobb. I enjoyed the first 3 series in that universe, but I'm araid that this will juust drag out. Anyone read her other series that starts with Shamon's ctrossing?

                      I'm really looking forward to reading Mike Resnic's the Iron Draon's daughter.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
                        i could never get in to them.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
                          it is the wot series. i like sot but after the third book it drags.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 22, 2012
                            The first 3 books always ended with this showdown. You can not denye me I denye you blah blah blah. I liked the stories of older times, and some of the ideas presented.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
                              > sadly, yahoogroups is not what it once was.

                              Some groups are; some groups aren't. I belong to a science fiction group
                              which has 800 to 1200 posts a month. Of course, I can't keep up with
                              many groups like that, anyway. :-)

                              Bill

                              http://garthright.blogspot.com/

                              --
                              Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Give him a religion,
                              and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. - Timothy Jones