Re: Would it be against the rules...

  • ireand
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2000
      No. You shall be banished into the darkness of hades.
      Please note the implicit sarcasm.

      Actually that reminds me. A few days ago I was having a discusion with a friend about the line that seperates science fiction and fantasy. Book shops plave then together in the same catagories, and I know that this infuriates many people. What do you all think the differance is. Where is the line?

      Tim.
      Your friendly list mederator
      Would it be a terrible breach of etiquette for me to announce some upcoming of some old (but still readable) sci-fi and fantasy books that I unearthed? If there are no objections, I'll be glad to share the auction site I am using, and my User-ID there, to make it easy to find my stuff. :)

      --David the StoryTeller

    • David Fernau
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2000
        Hey, folks...

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2000
          The line between sci-fi and fantasy, O great and wise moderator, depends on the author. For some, such as Asimov and Tolkien, the question is moot, because they do not go outside their respective genres at all. For some, such as Piers Anthony, the line is practically nonexistent, at least in some books, because he weaves them together so well.

          However, if you were talking a more general line than the above author-specific ruminations, my own idea would be that both sci-fi and fantasy can be lumped, if one wants to, into the broader category of "speculative fiction," which could also include horror. The hallmark of speculative fiction could probably best be defined as fiction which includes elements which are either impossible or very highly improbable in the "real world." Science fiction, then, can be defined as a story in which these impossible elements are arrived at through some branch of science or technology, and fantasy can be described as a story where the impossible is achieved through magic. The REAL trick comes when you remember the old quote that goes something like "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Now, considering all that, could fantasy be seen as a special type of sci-fi, or could sci-fi be viewed as an offshoot of fantasy? An interesting question, and one which I could probably write for days on, but it is late, and I've probably bored everyone on the list enough already. :)

          By the way, if you wanna check my auctions, see http://auctions.yahoo.com/booth/storytellerd (I think I got that URL right)... I've got about 70 books to sell, so in order to keep them from all closing at once, I'm going to list about 10 a day for the next week... and the first 10 are up now. :)

          --David