New Release! Daughter of Night, Historical fantasy romance

  • celticchick09
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2012
      Title: Daughter of Night
      Release date: July 24, 2012
      Genre: Historical fantasy romance
      Publisher: Mundania Press
      Author Website: http://www.kelleyheckart.com/
      Buy links:
      Mundania Press (in ebook formats and trade paperback):
      Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Of-Night-ebook/dp/B008OCANEO/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343182822&sr=1-14&keywords=kelley+heckart
      Barnes & Noble Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/daughter-of-night-kelley-heckart/1112220212?ean=2940015001952
      Buy links on author website: http://kelleyheckart.com/daughter_of_night.html

      Their destiny began in the ancient land of Anatolia.

      In 1326 BC, Crete is the last remaining sacred place for the Great Goddess, but changes began to threaten the old gods, the Titans. Forced to become an ally to the power hungry Olympian gods, Rhea hangs on to the secret of the star metal, the one key that would make Zeus and the other young gods invincible. When this secret is stolen, Rhea must find the Dactyl and the goddess who betrayed Her before Zeus does.

      Becuille is a daughter of Night, a servant of the Great Goddess created to impart Her vengeance on mortal and immortal wrongdoers. Made mortal by Rhea, she is sent to find the ones who betrayed the Great Goddess. In the land of Hatti, she meets a proud and handsome prince. When love binds her to him, her loyalties are torn.

      Callileon, a prince of the Hatti, has closed off his heart to love only to rediscover it in the arms of the mysterious and fiery slave girl he has purchased. He is caught up in a dangerous world of power hungry gods, jealous goddesses and potent magic, which even the Fates cannot steer him away from.

      Can two mortals fight the will of the gods?

      Excerpt, Rated PG:
      The servant hurried to do his bidding, struggling with buckets of water brought from the outside well. Using tongs, she reached for a hot stone to add to the bath.
      Callileon stopped her. "No. This will be a cold bath." He hoped the shock of the cold water would bring Inaras out of her drugged stupor. "Help me undress her."
      Inaras struggled while they took off her tunic. One flailing leg kicked Callileon in the balls, causing him to fall to his knees in agony. His ire raised, he yelled, "That's enough, you insufferable little witch, you are taking a bath." Picking her up, he flung her into the large bathing basin, half immersing himself in the bath. Water sloshed on to the clay floor. She screamed as the cold water shocked her body. He held her down, stroking her head.
      "I hate you," she screamed, trying to fight him.
      He held on, tenderly stroking her hair away from her face. "I am only doing this because I love you." Tears burned his eyelids. "I cannot stand to see you suffer," he whispered.
      Finally, she calmed down, allowing him to touch her. He held her shivering body tight, kissing her forehead. When her eyes became focused, he pulled her out of the cold bath. Zunia handed him a warm drying cloth, which he wrapped around Inaras's shivering body.
      She looked up at him with somber eyes, her teeth chattering. "Please do not leave me."
      With the servant's help, they dressed Inaras in a warm tunic. He carried her to bed and covered her with warm blankets, stroking her cheek. She closed her eyes, falling asleep. He left her side and sat near the fire to dry his wet clothes, shifting to accommodate his aching balls. The kick she had delivered to his sensitive man parts had been like a kick from an untamed horse. He could not help smiling at her unbridled spirit. The smile faded and he stared into the fire, brooding.
      "My lord, I found the pipe." Zunia handed it to him.
      "You may go now, but return at daybreak."
      "Yes, my lord." She left the room.
      He held the smooth clay pipe, feeling rage at the instrument that threatened to destroy the one he loved, but he knew the pipe was not his true enemy. Whatever had driven Inaras to hide behind the poppy demons was the true enemy. Clutching the pipe in his fist, he threw it into the fire. The pipe broke in two pieces. He watched with satisfaction as the flames consumed the evil pipe, crackling and spitting.
      Inaras called out his name. He helped her from the bed.
      "I feel as if I am going to be sick." Shaking and sweating, she leaned against him, groaning. Holding her up, he half carried her to the bathing room and to the squatting hole. Retching violently, she emptied her body of the demon poppies. He held her hair back from her face and when she finished, he held her trembling body. He wiped her sweating forehead with a wet cloth and dripped cool drops of water into her mouth. Carrying her back to bed, he realized how much weight she had lost, how fragile she had become. He covered her with blankets, staring down at her sleeping face.
      In sleep, her face looked so innocent. He realized that he knew very little about her, but he had seen her tender side when she calmed the mare with her beautiful, enchanting lullaby. It was difficult for him to comprehend that such an innocent looking woman could be capable of killing four armed warriors with her bare hands. Had she commanded the King Horse? A dread feeling came over him that Ninuba could have been speaking true about Inaras when she called her a sorceress of black magic.
      Kelley Heckart, Historical fantasy romance author