"Dog and Dragon" by Dave Freer

  • Bill Garthright
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2012
      FYI, I read Dave Freer's new fantasy, "Dog and Dragon" (sequel to
      "Dragon's Ring") this week and wrote up a few comments here:

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/2012/04/dog-and-dragon-by-dave-freer.html

      Basically, I thought it was entertaining - Freer has the knack of
      writing appealing characters - but I was still disappointed. "Dragon's
      Ring" was better than I expected, but the sequel doesn't add anything.
      It's VERY light-weight and goes exactly where you always know it's going
      to go.

      It was fun enough for an idle afternoon, but Freer can do better than
      this, and I hope he does. I really like the kinds of characters he
      writes, but I need more substance than this.

      Anyway, that's pretty much what my review says, only in a lot more
      words! Heh, heh. But there's a link to the earlier book, too, if you're
      curious about that (and I'd definitely read that one first).

      I haven't been reading much fantasy lately, so I haven't had anything to
      say here. Hmm,... I did re-read "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie
      Willis last week. I think that one is great - very funny - but it's
      humorous science fiction more than fantasy. Still, if you like Victorian
      era comedies, with some romance, you might check it out:

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/2012/04/to-say-nothing-of-dog-by-connie-willis.html

      Of course, it's not new. It was first published in 1998. It was just a
      re-read for me, but I thought I'd write some comments about it.

      Bill

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/

      --
      Life is sacred? Who said so, God? Hey, if you read history you'll
      realize that God is one of the leading causes of death, has been for