Re: What is everyone here reading?

  • robina_williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
      I didn't know there was talk of possibly turning Good Omens into a movie. Please will you post the info if you hear more? I greatly like the premise and characters of Good Omens.

      Thanks,

      Robina ~
      www.robinawilliams.com

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

      > Robina,
      >
      > Thanks for the tip. I've only read "Good Omens", but really liked that (there are rumours that it might be turned into a movie or mini series). I did enjoy the animated Coraline as well, so I'm putting a few Neil Gaiman books on my "to read" list.
      >
      > Lorin Silver

    • jakoseto
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
        I am going to start reading that book in about 30 minutes! I started listening to A Game of Thrones on audio the other day and then realized I'd better wait until I read the latest book first so I don't get the two plots too confused. I've read Game of Thrones before but want to listen to the audiobook version to read/hear the story again.
        - Daniel C.
        http://danielsteeves.blogspot.com/

        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Oliver <gioliver@...> wrote:

        > HI! Nice to meet you. I'm currently reading the current installment of the Ice and Fire Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin (forgot the name. Doh!). Enjoying it!
        >
        > Gloria Oliver
        > www.gloriaoliver.com
        > Unveiling the Fantastic
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
          Wheel of time was one of my favorites. Still is, I suppose, but my interest flagged when so much time passed between books, not to mention there were a couple books where the story seemed stalled. However, I picked them up again when Sanderson took over. The pace seems to be flowing well and Sanderson is doing a credible job.

          Mark Eller

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:55 AM, "kelwin" <darklordjamie@...> wrote:

          > I like all the books ian mcnamara said but i also like the wheel of time. i just really like fantasy books and don't much bother with the others.

        • kelwin
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
            yes i know what you mean. at some times it does seam as if it is just drifting but they are my second favourite.

            Wheel of time was one of my favorites. Still is, I suppose, but my interest flagged when so much time passed between books, not to mention there were a couple books where the story seemed stalled. However, I picked them up again when Sanderson took over. The pace seems to be flowing well and Sanderson is doing a credible job.

            Mark Eller

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:55 AM, "kelwin" <darklordjamie@...> wrote:

            > I like all the books ian mcnamara said but i also like the wheel of time. i just really like fantasy books and don't much bother with the others.

          • Hans De Witte
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
              Robina, here's what I read...

              From bleedingcool.com quoting Discworld News:

              "Meanwhile, on this side of the Atlantic, progress is being made on another Gaiman-to-TV production, the adaptation of his novel Good Omens, written with Terry Pratchett.

              Here's Pratchett, as per Discworld News<http://pjsmprints.com/news/index.html>:

              There has been one hell of a lot of rumours regarding a Good Omens adaptation over the past few weeks, mostly started by me at the SFX Weekender. So, ladies and gentleman, I can hereby exclusively reveal that - YES - Neil and myself have shaken hands and received groats from Rod Brown sealing a TV deal. An official announcement from Prime Focus will follow in a couple of weeks time. However, I can reveal right now that Terry Jones (yes, the Python) and Gavin Scott (not a Python, but he gets it) are already on the job. It's been a long time coming, but it's looking good.

              Note the mention of Rod Brown, the man from Prime Focus Productions. They're the folk behind the previous Discworld miniseries, and while it's not really a surprise to see they're behind Good Omens, I don't think anybody really knew until now."

              Lorin Silver

              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

              > Robina,
              >
              > Thanks for the tip. I've only read "Good Omens", but really liked that (there are rumours that it might be turned into a movie or mini series). I did enjoy the animated Coraline as well, so I'm putting a few Neil Gaiman books on my "to read" list.
              >
              > Lorin Silver

              ________________________________

              Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

              Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
              1. Juridische vermeldingen

              Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

              2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

              http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

            • Chelsea G
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                I read one of the Discworld novels a while back. More sex than I expected. Currently I'm reading Magician:The Apprentice and Magician:The Master, which are the first two books in Raymond E. Feist's THE RIFTWAR. Aliens from another dimension invade a medieval Tolkienesque D&D type world. It's what I would call good pulp trash.
                Chelsea
              • Hans De Witte
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                  I'm a big fan of (most) Discworld novels myself, so I'm trying to think which one has sex in it. Unless you count Nanny Ogg's innuendo ("A wizard's staff has a knob on the end"), I can't honestly think of anything. This could mean that: a) I have a dirty mind and have become insensitive to minor sex scenes; b) YOU have a dirty mind and see sex in the littlest things; or c) You read the one book that's a little more "mature" than the other Discworld novels.
                  I'm guessing c is the most likely option, though I still can't think of it. Which book was it?

                  I do know that Piers Anthony became more obsessed with sex the older he got - compare the early Xanth novels to the later ones and you'll see. Or read his sex-filled Chromagic series...

                  I really enjoyed reading (and re-reading) the Magician book(s) and the two sequels. Not really light fantasy, but not that heavy either - just the way I like it. If you like it, I recommend the two sequels. Read the other books only if you really really liked it, though. If you're looking for something less fantasy and more serious (more political, less "questy"), Feist's Empire trilogy is set in the "other dimension" of the Magician books. It's recommended by many, including myself.

                  Lorin Silver

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                    Thank you for the information. That's very helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble.

                    Discworld: I absolutely love the Discworld books. They're my favorites. Terry Pratchett creates great characters, and is a very witty writer. He writes with a light touch, yet there's a degree of darkness at the heart of his books. I find his Discworld wholly convincing -- and very contemporary despite its period dress.

                    I have read Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale and enjoyed it, although I found it a bit spooky.

                    Robina ~
                    www.robinawilliams.com

                    --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

                    > Robina, here's what I read...
                    >
                    > From bleedingcool.com quoting Discworld News:
                    >
                    > "Meanwhile, on this side of the Atlantic, progress is being made on another Gaiman-to-TV production, the adaptation of his novel Good Omens, written with Terry Pratchett.
                    >
                    > Here's Pratchett, as per Discworld News<http://pjsmprints.com/news/index.html>:
                    >
                    > There has been one hell of a lot of rumours regarding a Good Omens adaptation over the past few weeks, mostly started by me at the SFX Weekender. So, ladies and gentleman, I can hereby exclusively reveal that - YES - Neil and myself have shaken hands and received groats from Rod Brown sealing a TV deal. An official announcement from Prime Focus will follow in a couple of weeks time. However, I can reveal right now that Terry Jones (yes, the Python) and Gavin Scott (not a Python, but he gets it) are already on the job. It's been a long time coming, but it's looking good.
                    >
                    > Lorin Silver

                  • craig herbertson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                      Must admit I struggle to think of any sex in the disc world series. There's a little bit of mild innuendo