RE: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Fantasy

  • craig herbertson
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 7 12:13 AM
      Yes,

      Again just to be controversial  - the four greatest fantasy works:

      Eddison - The worm Ouroborous is set on Mercury
      Tolkien - Lord of the Rings is set on Earth
      Lindsay - A Voyage to Arcturus is set largely on Arcturus
      Peake - Gormenghast Trilogy is set ina  fantasy world that appears to resemble earth.

      So I think the planet doesn't count. Is it the use of magic.? None in Peake. None really in Lindsay.

      It's one of these strange things where the mind just tells you that 'this is fantasy and this is not.'

      From: kelwin <darklordjamie@...<mailto:darklordjamie%40ntlworld.com>>

      To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Monday, 6 February, 2012, 22:09

      i like fantasy that is in its own world like the lord of the rings, the sword of trooth, the wheel of time and the inheritens cicle.

      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 8 8:21 PM
        Or it could be both. Slipstream. Scifi and fantasy are nice categories to throw things under, but a lot of stuff just isn't a comfortable fit.

        Sent from my iPhone