What is everyone here reading?

  • jakoseto
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hello! I am new here and was wondering what books are popular around here? What is everyone reading? I am currently reading Orcs by Stan Nicolls.
      -Dan
      http://danielsteeves.blogspot.com/
    • Hans De Witte
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2012
        I've got about a hundred books on my "to read" list.

        Right now I've almost finished Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's a fun light read, but doesn't bring all that much extra if you've seen the movie.

        My previous read was the Kelvin series of books by Piers Anthony, which was okay.

        I don't know what I'll read next - any suggestions are welcome. I prefer light fantasy (with the occasional exception), humor is optional. Oh, and I've got a soft spot for stories where somebody from our world enters a world of fantasy

        Lorin Silver

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
          Cornelia Funke books are great- though I have not read Inkheart yet.
          You might want to check out Dragon Champion by EE Knight- its not as light of a read and probably longer than the Funke books I've read anyways, but its pretty fast paced and interesting story.
          -Daniel

          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

          > I've got about a hundred books on my "to read" list.
          >
          > Right now I've almost finished Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's a fun light read, but doesn't bring all that much extra if you've seen the movie.
          >
          > My previous read was the Kelvin series of books by Piers Anthony, which was okay.
          >
          > I don't know what I'll read next - any suggestions are welcome. I prefer light fantasy (with the occasional exception), humor is optional. Oh, and I've got a soft spot for stories where somebody from our world enters a world of fantasy
          >
          > Lorin Silver

        • craig herbertson
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
            I didn't like Inkheart much - thought ti was a great concept but might have suffered a bit in translation.

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
              I just finished Inkheart a few minutes ago. It was fairly decent – I think I might give the second book a go – I rate it a 7 out of 10. Let me just write that down…

              I’ve been keeping a list of all the books that I’ve read (at least the ones I remember), with genre, score, and a very short synopsis. It was great fun trying to remember all of the books – lots were sold, lots were simply borrowed from libraries. There’s 460 fantasy/SF books that I remember reading, but there have to be gaps somewhere, and I haven’t included all the Star Trek books that I’ve read (yet).

              Daniel, thanks for the tip, I might just check that out!

              Lorin Silver

              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

              > I've got about a hundred books on my "to read" list.

              > Right now I've almost finished Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's a fun light read, but doesn't bring all that much extra if you've seen the movie.

              > My previous read was the Kelvin series of books by Piers Anthony, which was okay.

              > I don't know what I'll read next - any suggestions are welcome. I prefer light fantasy (with the occasional exception), humor is optional. Oh, and I've got a soft spot for stories where somebody from our world enters a world of fantasy

              > Lorin Silver

            • Gloria Oliver
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
                HI! Nice to meet you. I'm currently reading the current installment of the Ice and Fire Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin (forgot the name. Doh!). Enjoying it!

                Gloria Oliver
                www.gloriaoliver.com
                Unveiling the Fantastic

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
                  I like harry potter books. I have read them more than once. I also like lord of the rings and the inherritance sycle books by christopher powlene.

                  Ian McNamara
                • kelwin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
                    I like all the books ian mcnamara said but i also like the wheel of time. i just really like fantasy books and don't much bother with the others.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 3, 2012
                      Awesome! That's next on my "to read" list- I've been putting it off because I don't want to have to wait again for the next one. I started reading the series after the 1st three books were out so was able to read them one after another but then I had to wait for the next one. I was thinking of rereading A Game of Thrones but then I found it on audio cd at the library- hey its only 28 cds!
                      -Daniel

                      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Oliver <gioliver@...> wrote:

                      > HI! Nice to meet you. I'm currently reading the current installment of the Ice and Fire Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin (forgot the name. Doh!). Enjoying it!
                      >
                      > Gloria Oliver
                      > www.gloriaoliver.com
                      > Unveiling the Fantastic
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • robina_williams
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 4, 2012
                        Hello Daniel,

                        I have just finished "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman. It's a great read: an exciting plot, strong characters and a fascinating setting. I think Neil Gaiman is a brilliant writer. I also particularly enjoyed reading his fantasies "American Gods" and "Neverwhere."

                        "Good Omens," that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett is a terrific book also.

                        Robina ~
                        www.robinawilliams.com

                        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "jakoseto" <jakoseto@...> wrote:

                        > Hello! I am new here and was wondering what books are popular around here? What is everyone reading? I am currently reading Orcs by Stan Nicolls.
                        > -Dan
                        > http://danielsteeves.blogspot.com/

                      • Bill B.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 5, 2012
                          At 3:01 AM +0000 2/3/12, jakoseto wrote:
                          >Hello! I am new here and was wondering what books are popular around here?

                          I just started The Neveryona series by Samuel R. Delany. Superficially a fantasy.

                          BB
                        • Hans De Witte
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 5, 2012
                            Robina,

                            Thanks for the tip. I've only read "Good Omens", but really liked that (there are rumours that it might be turned into a movie or mini series). I did enjoy the animated Coraline as well, so I'm putting a few Neil Gaiman books on my "to read" list.

                            Lorin Silver

                            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>, "jakoseto" <jakoseto@...> wrote:

                            > Hello! I am new here and was wondering what books are popular around here? What is everyone reading? I am currently reading Orcs by Stan Nicolls.
                            > -Dan
                            > http://danielsteeves.blogspot.com/

                            ________________________________

                            Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

                            Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
                            1. Juridische vermeldingen

                            Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

                            2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

                            http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

                          • Ian McNamara
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 5, 2012
                              What are his books about? Never read any of them before. I'm only just starting to get in to this jonra so still a baby in it smiley.

                              Ian McNamara
                            • robina_williams
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
                                I didn't know there was talk of possibly turning Good Omens into a movie. Please will you post the info if you hear more? I greatly like the premise and characters of Good Omens.

                                Thanks,

                                Robina ~
                                www.robinawilliams.com

                                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

                                > Robina,
                                >
                                > Thanks for the tip. I've only read "Good Omens", but really liked that (there are rumours that it might be turned into a movie or mini series). I did enjoy the animated Coraline as well, so I'm putting a few Neil Gaiman books on my "to read" list.
                                >
                                > Lorin Silver

                              • jakoseto
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
                                  I am going to start reading that book in about 30 minutes! I started listening to A Game of Thrones on audio the other day and then realized I'd better wait until I read the latest book first so I don't get the two plots too confused. I've read Game of Thrones before but want to listen to the audiobook version to read/hear the story again.
                                  - Daniel C.
                                  http://danielsteeves.blogspot.com/

                                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Oliver <gioliver@...> wrote:

                                  > HI! Nice to meet you. I'm currently reading the current installment of the Ice and Fire Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin (forgot the name. Doh!). Enjoying it!
                                  >
                                  > Gloria Oliver
                                  > www.gloriaoliver.com
                                  > Unveiling the Fantastic
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • Mark
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
                                    Wheel of time was one of my favorites. Still is, I suppose, but my interest flagged when so much time passed between books, not to mention there were a couple books where the story seemed stalled. However, I picked them up again when Sanderson took over. The pace seems to be flowing well and Sanderson is doing a credible job.

                                    Mark Eller

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:55 AM, "kelwin" <darklordjamie@...> wrote:

                                    > I like all the books ian mcnamara said but i also like the wheel of time. i just really like fantasy books and don't much bother with the others.

                                  • kelwin
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 8, 2012
                                      yes i know what you mean. at some times it does seam as if it is just drifting but they are my second favourite.

                                      Wheel of time was one of my favorites. Still is, I suppose, but my interest flagged when so much time passed between books, not to mention there were a couple books where the story seemed stalled. However, I picked them up again when Sanderson took over. The pace seems to be flowing well and Sanderson is doing a credible job.

                                      Mark Eller

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:55 AM, "kelwin" <darklordjamie@...> wrote:

                                      > I like all the books ian mcnamara said but i also like the wheel of time. i just really like fantasy books and don't much bother with the others.

                                    • Hans De Witte
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                        Robina, here's what I read...

                                        From bleedingcool.com quoting Discworld News:

                                        "Meanwhile, on this side of the Atlantic, progress is being made on another Gaiman-to-TV production, the adaptation of his novel Good Omens, written with Terry Pratchett.

                                        Here's Pratchett, as per Discworld News<http://pjsmprints.com/news/index.html>:

                                        There has been one hell of a lot of rumours regarding a Good Omens adaptation over the past few weeks, mostly started by me at the SFX Weekender. So, ladies and gentleman, I can hereby exclusively reveal that - YES - Neil and myself have shaken hands and received groats from Rod Brown sealing a TV deal. An official announcement from Prime Focus will follow in a couple of weeks time. However, I can reveal right now that Terry Jones (yes, the Python) and Gavin Scott (not a Python, but he gets it) are already on the job. It's been a long time coming, but it's looking good.

                                        Note the mention of Rod Brown, the man from Prime Focus Productions. They're the folk behind the previous Discworld miniseries, and while it's not really a surprise to see they're behind Good Omens, I don't think anybody really knew until now."

                                        Lorin Silver

                                        ________________________________

                                        Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

                                        Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
                                        1. Juridische vermeldingen

                                        Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

                                        2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

                                        http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

                                      • Chelsea G
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                          I read one of the Discworld novels a while back. More sex than I expected. Currently I'm reading Magician:The Apprentice and Magician:The Master, which are the first two books in Raymond E. Feist's THE RIFTWAR. Aliens from another dimension invade a medieval Tolkienesque D&D type world. It's what I would call good pulp trash.
                                          Chelsea
                                        • Hans De Witte
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                            I'm a big fan of (most) Discworld novels myself, so I'm trying to think which one has sex in it. Unless you count Nanny Ogg's innuendo ("A wizard's staff has a knob on the end"), I can't honestly think of anything. This could mean that: a) I have a dirty mind and have become insensitive to minor sex scenes; b) YOU have a dirty mind and see sex in the littlest things; or c) You read the one book that's a little more "mature" than the other Discworld novels.
                                            I'm guessing c is the most likely option, though I still can't think of it. Which book was it?

                                            I do know that Piers Anthony became more obsessed with sex the older he got - compare the early Xanth novels to the later ones and you'll see. Or read his sex-filled Chromagic series...

                                            I really enjoyed reading (and re-reading) the Magician book(s) and the two sequels. Not really light fantasy, but not that heavy either - just the way I like it. If you like it, I recommend the two sequels. Read the other books only if you really really liked it, though. If you're looking for something less fantasy and more serious (more political, less "questy"), Feist's Empire trilogy is set in the "other dimension" of the Magician books. It's recommended by many, including myself.

                                            Lorin Silver

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                              Thank you for the information. That's very helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble.

                                              Discworld: I absolutely love the Discworld books. They're my favorites. Terry Pratchett creates great characters, and is a very witty writer. He writes with a light touch, yet there's a degree of darkness at the heart of his books. I find his Discworld wholly convincing -- and very contemporary despite its period dress.

                                              I have read Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale and enjoyed it, although I found it a bit spooky.

                                              Robina ~
                                              www.robinawilliams.com

                                              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hans De Witte <hans.dewitte@...> wrote:

                                              > Robina, here's what I read...
                                              >
                                              > From bleedingcool.com quoting Discworld News:
                                              >
                                              > "Meanwhile, on this side of the Atlantic, progress is being made on another Gaiman-to-TV production, the adaptation of his novel Good Omens, written with Terry Pratchett.
                                              >
                                              > Here's Pratchett, as per Discworld News<http://pjsmprints.com/news/index.html>:
                                              >
                                              > There has been one hell of a lot of rumours regarding a Good Omens adaptation over the past few weeks, mostly started by me at the SFX Weekender. So, ladies and gentleman, I can hereby exclusively reveal that - YES - Neil and myself have shaken hands and received groats from Rod Brown sealing a TV deal. An official announcement from Prime Focus will follow in a couple of weeks time. However, I can reveal right now that Terry Jones (yes, the Python) and Gavin Scott (not a Python, but he gets it) are already on the job. It's been a long time coming, but it's looking good.
                                              >
                                              > Lorin Silver

                                            • craig herbertson
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                                Must admit I struggle to think of any sex in the disc world series. There's a little bit of mild innuendo