Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Fantasy

  • craig herbertson
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 30, 2011
      Jack Vance is simply brilliant. I have most of his work - not some of the more difficult to obtain stuff - and I constantly reread it. His humour is spot on and his observation of character is addictive. When he writes about food you feel hungry.

      From: Bill Garthright <billg@... <mailto:billg%40inebraska.com> <mailto:billg%40inebraska.com> >

      To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Saturday, 26 November, 2011, 17:02

      > Here's a question, is Pern Fantasy?

      Rick, I'd say that's a good example of why science fiction and fantasy

      can be so difficult - even impossible - to separate. McCaffrey's stories

      about Pern started out as fantasy, I think, but she started introducing

      more SF elements as she continued.

      And then, science fiction doesn't have to be plausible, or even

      possible, so can you really say that flying, telepathic dragons aren't

      science fiction? It's all speculative fiction. SF just tends to have an

      explanation, even if it's just implied, that's not magical.

      On Pern, they didn't cast a spell or pray to a god for those dragons,

      they bred them from smaller creatures that were native to the planet.

      Realistic? No, of course not. But that's still science fiction, I'd say

      (if I actually had to pick one or the other).

      Still, I suspect that "Dragonflight" is very popular with fantasy fans -

      maybe even more popular than with SF fans.

      Bill

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/

      --

      New documentary, "Sarah Palin: The Undefeated" - from the same people

      who made "Lindsay Lohan: The Unarrested" - Rob Kutner

    • Mark
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 8 8:21 PM
        Or it could be both. Slipstream. Scifi and fantasy are nice categories to throw things under, but a lot of stuff just isn't a comfortable fit.

        Sent from my iPhone