Are you writing a vampire novel, too?

  • Bill Garthright
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2011
      I thought this blog post was kind of funny. PZ Myers is commenting on
      reading a vampire novel where the protagonist constantly moans about her
      curse, though it seems to involve nothing but beneficial changes:

      http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/01/are_you_writing_a_vampire_nove.php

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/45uuzpw

      Note that one of the commenters mentions the "Cursed with Awesome"
      trope, which is basically what Myers is saying:

      http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CursedWithAwesome

      *** WARNING - TvTropes.org will suck you in and drain away all your
      time, if you let it! ***

      It seems to me that vampire novels used to be horror stories, but are
      now romance, mostly. It's kind of funny, don't you think? Instead of
      being something to fear, vampirism has become wish-fulfillment. Yet
      authors still consider it to be a "curse," probably because that's what
      it was always supposed to be.

      Well, the whole idea seems to be getting pretty tired these days. I
      think fantasy authors need to move on to something fresh (though I don't
      know what that might be).

      Bill

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/

      --
      Either that wallpaper goes or I do. - Oscar Wilde, on his deathbed
    • Christina Maness
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2011
        Bill,
        That is pretty funny. But I have to say I have been "sucked" in to the whole
        "pretty vampire" genre. I love it and eat it up with a spoon :) I am actually
        writing a novel that's about vamps but my vamps like being vamps and don't think
        its a curse. That's the difference I guess. I love all forms of vampirism from
        Dracula to Edward Cullen. I am a bit partial to the Cullen age though. I've
        liked vampires since a very early age, I use to watch this show called Dark
        Shadows with my mom when I was about  5 or 6 and I loved it! I was excited to
        here its being made into a movie, and Johnny Depp is playing the lead roll, I
        think Johnny is gonna make a smokin vamp :) Anyway back to the subject at
        hand.....Though I love the new role vamps play in todays literature, I find it
        funny to watch others rant and rave about how they don't like it or are sick of
        reading it and hearing about it. All I can say is its just a matter of taste and
        opinion, I mean what writer out there doesn't wish their book would get the
        exposure that Twilight did? What ever the next a big thing is you can be sure
        there will always be haters. That's just the way it works, theres always
        backlash to great hypes. But I'm on the sparkly side so......:) Thanks for
        posting that link it was fun to read :)

        :)
        Christina

         "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
        dream only by night."

        Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
        Read my blogs at- http://bookadditcionsbychristina.blogspot.com and
        http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2011
          > That is pretty funny. But I have to say I have been "sucked" in to the whole "pretty vampire" genre. I love it and eat it up with a spoon:)

          You and a lot of other people, apparently. :-)

          I guess I have a couple of problems with it, Christina. The first is
          simply that it's being done to death. And that tends to be my biggest
          problem with fantasy in general. A fresh idea is great. But then
          everyone else seems to jump on the bandwagon. Some of those authors take
          the idea and put their own, fresh spin on it. But so often, it's just a
          blatant copy. There just seems like a huge lack of imagination in the
          fantasy genre. That seems really odd to me, because what else IS it but
          imagination?

          I also have a hard time suspending my disbelief. OK, it's just fantasy,
          but I still want it to make sense. If vampires have all these wonderful
          benefits, with no downside, then why isn't EVERYONE a vampire by now?
          (Or, if they have to kill in order to feed, why aren't ordinary humans
          extinct?)

          After all, in most tales, vampires are nearly immortal, and it's very
          easy to make new vampires. OK, it's probably easy to make new human
          beings, too - heh, heh - but it takes a lot longer. And once vampires
          start to run out of human beings, are they really going to starve to
          death in order to preserve the species?

          It's (slightly) different if vampirism has a lot of downsides. And one
          of the downsides is usually that they must kill human beings to survive.
          That means they can't live among humans without getting the community up
          in arms, determined to find and kill the menace that's among them. If
          there's no menace, then no one would be too worried, so why haven't
          vampires destroyed their environmental niche through overpopulation?

          > I use to watch this show called Dark Shadows with my mom when I was about 5 or 6

          Heh, heh. I remember that. I don't know what age I was, but I remember
          watching it when I was home sick from school.

          The funny thing was that, even though I'd only watch it once every
          couple of months or so, I could still follow the storyline. It moved
          THAT slowly! I used to think that was really funny. (But I never watched
          other soap operas, so maybe that's common to all of them?)

          I enjoyed it, though. I never liked scary stories (still don't), but
          this one never seemed very scary to me. Of course, that was a LONG time ago.

          > All I can say is its just a matter of taste and opinion

          Exactly! But this is why I enjoy book discussion groups. Everyone has a
          different opinion - there are all sorts of different tastes when it
          comes to reading - and none are any better than the rest.

          I don't care when people disagree with me about a book. Why should I?
          It's all just personal preference. In fact, a discussion group would get
          pretty boring if everyone agreed. (I belong to a very active science
          fiction group, and the discussions there get really interesting!)

          And most readers seem to understand that. I've rarely found a fan - of
          any genre of books - who gets upset when people disagree about a read.
          We all seem to understand that tastes differ. I really like that.

          Bill

          http://garthright.blogspot.com/

          --
          These, my worthy friend, are my ideas. . . It becomes a man of sense to
          think for himself; particularly in a case where all men are equally