Sci Fantasy

  • mechxpilotxraven2097
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hello,
      I am just wondering if anyone here could suggest any Science-Fantasy genre books to read. Thank you.

      -Raven
    • William C. Garthright
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
        > I am just wondering if anyone here could suggest any Science-Fantasy genre books to read.

        I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by science fantasy. I read a lot
        of science fiction, if that's what you mean. But that's a pretty broad
        category.

        There's an active Yahoo group called ClassicScienceFiction that would
        give you some good ideas, too. There are lots of good people discussing
        science fiction of all kinds there.

        Or is there really a genre called science fantasy? That would seem to be
        an oxymoron, don't you think?

        Bill

        http://garthright.blogspot.com/

        --
        Paying lip-service to "energy independence," while sabotaging it
        relentlessly, is something diametrically opposite to patriotism. - David
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2010
          What I would term as 'Science Fantasy' is a story which has futuristic
          and fantasy elements combined. I've always termed what I write myself as
          being 'science fantasy'. It's certainly not hard core Science Fiction,
          but I do my research and try to make any scientific elements plausible.
          My futuristic stories have characters with starships and computers, but
          the worlds they visit often have a medieval feel to them, with horses or
          similar animals for transport, and are sparsely populated, often becasue
          the inhabitants have given up techology in order to protect their
          planet. Therefore it's a mixture of science fiction and fantasy - or
          'space opera' even.

          Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
          My Website <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/> ~ My Blog
          <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/> ~ My Space
          <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn> ~ My Polkerdot Banner Page
          com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201> ~
          Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
          Available now: 'STARQUEST'
          <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&produc\
          ts_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2> ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
          FATE'
          <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
          &products_id=909> (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
          'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
          <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
          &products_id=1003> : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)

          "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love the science
          fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic romance,
          Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
          <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

        • Ruth Arnell
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2010
            My first thought would be the Liaden books by Lee and Miller.

            ________________________________

            ~
            <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=1003>
            : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)

            "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love the science
            fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic romance,
            Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
            <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

          • Dale Jory
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2010
              The Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley,
              The Warlock In Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff,
              The Dragons of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey,
              Cycle of Fire Trilogy by Janny Wurts

              Some could be a stretch but these sprung to mind.

              Dale

              > What I would term as 'Science Fantasy' is a story which has
              > futuristic
              > and fantasy elements combined. I've always termed what I
              > write myself as
              > being 'science fantasy'.  It's certainly not hard core
              > Science Fiction,
              > but I do my research and try to make any scientific
              > elements plausible.
              > My futuristic stories have characters with starships and
              > computers, but
              > the worlds they visit often have a medieval feel to them,
              > with horses or
              > similar animals for transport, and are sparsely populated,
              > often becasue
              > the inhabitants have given up techology in order to protect
              > their
              > planet. Therefore it's a mixture of science fiction and
              > fantasy - or
              > 'space opera' even.
              >
              > Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
              > My Website  <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/>  ~
              > My Blog
              > <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/>  ~ My Space
              > <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn>  ~ My
              > Polkerdot Banner Page
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWildRosePress/http/www.polkadotbanner.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201>
              >   ~
              > Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > Available now: 'STARQUEST'
              > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2>
              >    ~*~  'DANCING WITH
              > FATE'
              > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=909>
              >   (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
              > 'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
              > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=1003>
              >   : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)
              >
              > "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love
              > the science
              > fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic
              > romance,
              > Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
              > <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

              >     Fantasy_Books-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Hans De Witte
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 9, 2010
                First one I'd think of (beside The Warlock in Spite of Himself) would be the "Apprentice Adept" series by Piers Anthony.

                Then there's Piers Anthony's "Kill-o-Byte" (virtual reality plus a bit of fantasy),

                And one of my favorite Star Trek The Next Generation novels "Masks".

                The Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley,
                The Warlock In Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff,
                The Dragons of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey,
                Cycle of Fire Trilogy by Janny Wurts

                Some could be a stretch but these sprung to mind.

                Dale

                > What I would term as 'Science Fantasy' is a story which has
                > futuristic
                > and fantasy elements combined. I've always termed what I
                > write myself as
                > being 'science fantasy'. It's certainly not hard core
                > Science Fiction,
                > but I do my research and try to make any scientific
                > elements plausible.
                > My futuristic stories have characters with starships and
                > computers, but
                > the worlds they visit often have a medieval feel to them,
                > with horses or
                > similar animals for transport, and are sparsely populated,
                > often becasue
                > the inhabitants have given up techology in order to protect
                > their
                > planet. Therefore it's a mixture of science fiction and
                > fantasy - or
                > 'space opera' even.
                >
                > Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
                > My Website <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/> ~
                > My Blog
                > <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/> ~ My Space
                > <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn> ~ My
                > Polkerdot Banner Page
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWildRosePress/http/www.polkadotbanner.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201>
                > ~
                > Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Available now: 'STARQUEST'
                > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2>
                > ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
                > FATE'
                > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=909>
                > (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
                > 'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
                > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=1003>
                > : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)
                >
                > "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love
                > the science
                > fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic
                > romance,
                > Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
                > <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

                > Fantasy_Books-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                ________________________________

                Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

                Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
                1. Juridische vermeldingen

                Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

                2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

                http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

              • Kat Hooper
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                  Did anyone mention Andre Norton's Witch World?

                  Kat

                  www.fantasyliterature.com

                  The Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley,
                  The Warlock In Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff,
                  The Dragons of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey,
                  Cycle of Fire Trilogy by Janny Wurts

                  Some could be a stretch but these sprung to mind.

                  Dale

                  --- On Fri, 10/12/10, Ruth Arnell <emmanadine811@...
                  <mailto:emmanadine811%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                  > From: Ruth Arnell <emmanadine811@...
                  <mailto:emmanadine811%40yahoo.com> >
                  > Subject: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: Sci Fantasy
                  > To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>

                  > My first thought would be the Liaden
                  > books by Lee and Miller.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  &task=userProfile&user=201>
                  > ~
                  > Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  > Available now: 'STARQUEST'
                  > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info
                  <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_i
                  d=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2>
                  &products_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2>
                  > ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
                  > FATE'
                  > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info
                  <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&pro
                  ducts_id=909> &cPath=&products_id=909>
                  > (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
                  > 'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
                  > <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info
                  <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&pro
                  ducts_id=1003> &cPath=&products_id=1003>
                  > : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)
                  >
                  > "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love
                  > the science
                  > fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic
                  > romance,
                  > Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
                  > <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

                  > Fantasy_Books-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:Fantasy_Books-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                • Bill Garthright
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                    > What I would term as 'Science Fantasy' is a story which has futuristic and fantasy elements combined. I've always termed what I write myself as being 'science fantasy'. It's certainly not hard core Science Fiction, but I do my research and try to make any scientific elements plausible.

                    Thanks. I'd never heard the term before, and I guess I'd just consider
                    anything with "plausible" science as science fiction. In fact, even
                    books where the science ISN'T plausible might be science fiction,
                    including most of the examples given.

                    Don't get me wrong, I don't care what category a book is placed in. And
                    there's no clear-cut dividing line between science fiction and fantasy,
                    anyway - and no need for one, even if it WERE possible.

                    But science fiction has a long tradition of ESP and psychic powers. That
                    sort of thing isn't at all plausible (maybe it was more believable in
                    the early years of science fiction), but traditionally it's frequently
                    been a part of science fiction (and fantasy, no doubt). Likewise, I
                    don't consider planets at a medieval level of development to be fantasy,
                    necessarily, either.

                    On the other hand, I can see where the examples given would likely be of
                    interest to fans of both genres. In fact, when I blogged about some of
                    the recent books in the Liaden series, I think I posted the links here,
                    as well as in my science fiction groups, since I figured those books
                    would also be popular with fantasy fans. I did consider them science
                    fiction - space opera, as you say - but there's almost no science in them.

                    In fact, that might be my problem with "science fantasy." Where's the
                    science? And regarding the "fantasy" part, I guess I generally require
                    magic (secular or supernatural) to consider something fantasy. Hmm,...
                    psychic powers could be equivalent to magic, I suppose. I just don't know.

                    Anyway, thanks again for the explanation!

                    PS. In the 1800s, they called early stories (that we'd now consider
                    science fiction) "scientific romance." But I don't think those novels
                    necessarily included "romance" as we'd consider it these days. So I
                    suppose genre labels are always in a state of flux, at least to some extent.

                    Bill

                    http://garthright.blogspot.com/

                    --
                    I don't want to sound callous. I mean, even if I have nothing to offer,
                    that doesn't matter, because that still doesn't mean that what anybody