How much do books cost?

  • Hans De Witte
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hi everybody,

      I was wondering how much regular paperback novels cost where you live.

      Here in Belgium stores that sell English fantasy & SF are hard to find. And the few stores that do stock them, charge way too much (in my opinion).

      An example: in a store called FNAC, I bought “Unseen Academicals” (a Discworld novel) for my wife, who recently discovered the series (I’m currently re-reading it). It cost me around 10 euro (13.25 dollars, or 8.47 pounds).

      There are a few second-hand stores, but most of those sell them for 4-5 euro, which I consider too high for a second-hand book. There’s one store I discovered that sells quite a few for only 1-2 euro though, but their selection is limited.

      Greetings from Belgium,

      Hans

      ________________________________

      Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

      Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
      1. Juridische vermeldingen

      Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

      2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

      http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
        I am waiting for the new Stephen Donaldson to drop in price - currently $42
        Australian (hardcover). Around $38-$40 American I would say with the
        strength of the Aussie dollar at present. Paperbacks around $20. One of our
        variety stores, Big W usually has paperbacks at 35% off rrp but the
        selection of fantasy is limited. Methinks you have it cheap!!

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
          Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
            At 12:46 AM -0800 12/4/10, craig herbertson wrote:
            >Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

            I mostly buy used hardbacks with dust jackets online which in the US is almost always cheaper than using a meatspace store. Generally, I try Amazon 1st and then <http://bookkfinder.com> advanced search.

            Unless a book is rare or desirable, like a Dune 1st edition, I can usually find a used hardcover that is cheaper than a new paperback even with shipping & handling. And, so far in the US there is no sales tax for these. I get a lot of these from the UK, occasionally from the continent.

            Bill
          • Christina Maness
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
              Wow that is very high! I usually pay around $13 to $18 American dollars for a
              new release hard cover. And around $6.00 to $12 dollars for a paper pack.

               "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
              dream only by night."

              Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
              Read my blog at- http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 5, 2010
                I agree - it's often cheaper to buy books from the UK or the US via Amazon (including the postage!) than it is to buy books in Australia - particularly if it's a new book just out which we won't get for another few months. USD13.25 is cheap for us Aussies! A new trade paperback can cost AUD$29.00 (USD28.75 / 21.45 Euros / GBP18.22 at today's exchange rate)

                Elizabeth Coutts

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 9, 2010
                  Speaking as someone who lives in teh UK, I weould say £8.47 is fairly
                  average for a paperback book over here. Some are a lot more expensive,
                  depending on the author and the thickness of the book. I don't think
                  you're being overcharged!

                  Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
                  My Website <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/> ~ My Blog
                  <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/> ~ My Space
                  <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn> ~ My Polkerdot Banner Page
                  com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201> ~
                  Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
                  Available now: 'STARQUEST'
                  <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&produc\
                  ts_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2> ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
                  FATE'
                  <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                  &products_id=909> (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
                  'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
                  <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                  &products_id=1003> : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)

                  "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love the science
                  fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic romance,
                  Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
                  <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

                • phoebemattdj@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 10, 2010
                    During December BookStrand is doing a holiday giveaway with three ebooks
                    and mine is one of them. It is the first book of the urban fantasy Mudflat
                    series and won the 2009 EPIC Award for best fantasy. Title is Tarbaby
                    Trouble. To get a free download, go to
                    http://www.bookstrand.com/tarbaby-trouble and I hope you will enjoy it.

                    Phoebe Matthews
                    http://phoebematthews.com