Re: [Fantasy_Books] Hi everyone!

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 20, 2010
      I am not particularly a Stephen King fan - but I did really like the Stand
      and to a lesser extent the Dark Tower series.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
        Hi everybody,

        I was wondering how much regular paperback novels cost where you live.

        Here in Belgium stores that sell English fantasy & SF are hard to find. And the few stores that do stock them, charge way too much (in my opinion).

        An example: in a store called FNAC, I bought “Unseen Academicals” (a Discworld novel) for my wife, who recently discovered the series (I’m currently re-reading it). It cost me around 10 euro (13.25 dollars, or 8.47 pounds).

        There are a few second-hand stores, but most of those sell them for 4-5 euro, which I consider too high for a second-hand book. There’s one store I discovered that sells quite a few for only 1-2 euro though, but their selection is limited.

        Greetings from Belgium,

        Hans

        ________________________________

        Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

        Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
        1. Juridische vermeldingen

        Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

        2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

        http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
          I am waiting for the new Stephen Donaldson to drop in price - currently $42
          Australian (hardcover). Around $38-$40 American I would say with the
          strength of the Aussie dollar at present. Paperbacks around $20. One of our
          variety stores, Big W usually has paperbacks at 35% off rrp but the
          selection of fantasy is limited. Methinks you have it cheap!!

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
            Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
              At 12:46 AM -0800 12/4/10, craig herbertson wrote:
              >Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

              I mostly buy used hardbacks with dust jackets online which in the US is almost always cheaper than using a meatspace store. Generally, I try Amazon 1st and then <http://bookkfinder.com> advanced search.

              Unless a book is rare or desirable, like a Dune 1st edition, I can usually find a used hardcover that is cheaper than a new paperback even with shipping & handling. And, so far in the US there is no sales tax for these. I get a lot of these from the UK, occasionally from the continent.

              Bill
            • Christina Maness
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
                Wow that is very high! I usually pay around $13 to $18 American dollars for a
                new release hard cover. And around $6.00 to $12 dollars for a paper pack.

                 "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
                dream only by night."

                Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
                Read my blog at- http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 5, 2010
                  I agree - it's often cheaper to buy books from the UK or the US via Amazon (including the postage!) than it is to buy books in Australia - particularly if it's a new book just out which we won't get for another few months. USD13.25 is cheap for us Aussies! A new trade paperback can cost AUD$29.00 (USD28.75 / 21.45 Euros / GBP18.22 at today's exchange rate)

                  Elizabeth Coutts

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Speaking as someone who lives in teh UK, I weould say £8.47 is fairly
                    average for a paperback book over here. Some are a lot more expensive,
                    depending on the author and the thickness of the book. I don't think
                    you're being overcharged!

                    Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
                    My Website <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/> ~ My Blog
                    <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/> ~ My Space
                    <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn> ~ My Polkerdot Banner Page
                    com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201> ~
                    Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
                    Available now: 'STARQUEST'
                    <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&produc\
                    ts_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2> ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
                    FATE'
                    <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                    &products_id=909> (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
                    'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
                    <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                    &products_id=1003> : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)

                    "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love the science
                    fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic romance,
                    Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
                    <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

                  • phoebemattdj@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 10, 2010
                      During December BookStrand is doing a holiday giveaway with three ebooks
                      and mine is one of them. It is the first book of the urban fantasy Mudflat
                      series and won the 2009 EPIC Award for best fantasy. Title is Tarbaby
                      Trouble. To get a free download, go to
                      http://www.bookstrand.com/tarbaby-trouble and I hope you will enjoy it.

                      Phoebe Matthews
                      http://phoebematthews.com