Re: [Fantasy_Books] Hi everyone!

  • Christina Maness
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
      Hans,
      Yes Hunger Games is very, very good! I have never heard of any of the books
      you've mentioned but I agree that I to love to read books where the character is
      transported to another world, although my meaning of "transported to "another
      world"" may differ from yours. How do you feel about the Harry Potter
      books? Harry enters another word in that series.

      Oh and glad I could pull you out of lurking, even if just briefly :)

      :)
      Christina
       "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
      dream only by night."

      Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
      Read my blog at- http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
        Christina,

        Sure, you could say that Harry Potter gets transported to a world of fantasy, even if that world exists within our world. Either way, I loved the Harry Potter books!
        More famous examples of this type of fantasy include the “Kingdom for Sale – Sold” series by Terry Brooks, the “Fionavar Tapestry” trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay and the “Spellsinger” series by Alan Dean Foster.

        Besides those I mentioned before, a few of my favorite authors include: Christopher Stasheff, Robert Asprin, Raymond E Feist, Rick Cook and Simon Hawke.

        Greetings from Belgium,

        Hans

        PS: ah, I see a Poe quote. Since I know Nevermore by heart, I’ll type one of my favorite parts…
        “And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain thrilled me, filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before”
        Edgar Allan Poe, “The Raven”.

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
          Hans,
          Lol, glad you like the quote. I have read The Raven, but not since I was in
          school lol. It is a very good poem. I chose this quote because it sort
          of reflects my feelings toward authors and myself as a writer. I think everyone
          should do alittle day dreaming now and again :)

          Other authors I read include: Cassandra Clare, Stephenie Meyer, P.C. Case &
          Kristen Cast, Christopher Pike, Alyson Noel, Richelle Mead, Rick Rhordan, L.J.
          Smith, Jean Auel.

          :)

          Van: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>

          From: William C. Garthright
          <billg@...<mailto:billg%40inebraska.com><mailto:billg%40inebraska.com>>

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
            Peta,
            The only names I reconized there were Tolkien and King, but I havent read any of
            thier books. Of course I have read Harry Potter. I also went to the midnight
            movie premiere of Deathly Hollows Part I last night (very good).

            lol
            :)

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
              > That’s the second time somebody’s recommended the Hunger Games!

              Yes, it's been strongly recommended to me, too, Hans.

              > The only names I reconized there were Tolkien and King...

              That's kind of funny, Christina, because I didn't recognize a single
              author you mentioned - oh, with the exception of Jean Auel, I guess. I
              am, however, familiar with all of the authors Peta likes. Apparently,
              you and I have completely different tastes (or else it's just an
              age-related thing).

              > ...but I haven't read any of their books.

              You haven't read Tolkien? Really? You probably should, since he's so
              very important in fantasy. I think fantasy fans just assume that
              everyone's read some Tolkien (and maybe HP Lovecraft?).

              However, I should note that I had a hard time getting into "The Lord of
              the Rings," since it's slow going at first. It took me halfway through
              the first book to get hooked, but then I couldn't put the trilogy down.
              That was a long time ago, but I've read it many times since then.

              On the other hand, I've never been fond of the little I read of Stephen
              King. Oh, well, different tastes...

              Bill

              http://garthright.blogspot.com/

              --
              For only $399, you can send your kids away to spend a few days this
              summer with Ollie North, professional traitor, frolicking about on a
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 20, 2010
                As did my son.

                You may enjoy Stardust by Neil Gaiman (there was a good movie based on the
                book with Michelle Pfeiffer in the role of a witch and Robert de Niro as a
                cross-dressing pirate captain). I love Neil Gaiman. Also as I mentioned the
                Old Kingdom books starting with Sabriel by Garth Nix. Both have characters
                living in "our world" who travel to an adjoining "fairy" world.

                Cheers

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 20, 2010
                  I am not particularly a Stephen King fan - but I did really like the Stand
                  and to a lesser extent the Dark Tower series.

                  >> That’s the second time somebody’s recommended the Hunger Games!
                  >

                  > Yes, it's been strongly recommended to me, too, Hans.
                  >

                  >> The only names I reconized there were Tolkien and King...
                  >

                  > That's kind of funny, Christina, because I didn't recognize a single
                  > author you mentioned - oh, with the exception of Jean Auel, I guess. I
                  > am, however, familiar with all of the authors Peta likes. Apparently,
                  > you and I have completely different tastes (or else it's just an
                  > age-related thing).
                  >

                  >> ...but I haven't read any of their books.
                  >

                  > You haven't read Tolkien? Really? You probably should, since he's so
                  > very important in fantasy. I think fantasy fans just assume that
                  > everyone's read some Tolkien (and maybe HP Lovecraft?).
                  >
                  > However, I should note that I had a hard time getting into "The Lord of
                  > the Rings," since it's slow going at first. It took me halfway through
                  > the first book to get hooked, but then I couldn't put the trilogy down.
                  > That was a long time ago, but I've read it many times since then.
                  >
                  > On the other hand, I've never been fond of the little I read of Stephen
                  > King. Oh, well, different tastes...
                  >
                  > Bill
                  >
                  > http://garthright.blogspot.com/
                  >
                  > --
                  > For only $399, you can send your kids away to spend a few days this
                  > summer with Ollie North, professional traitor, frolicking about on a
                  > military base and pretending to be brave warriors with absolutely no
                  > risk. It's the perfect activity for young Republican
                  > chickenhawks-in-training. - PZ Myers

                • Hans De Witte
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
                    Hi everybody,

                    I was wondering how much regular paperback novels cost where you live.

                    Here in Belgium stores that sell English fantasy & SF are hard to find. And the few stores that do stock them, charge way too much (in my opinion).

                    An example: in a store called FNAC, I bought “Unseen Academicals” (a Discworld novel) for my wife, who recently discovered the series (I’m currently re-reading it). It cost me around 10 euro (13.25 dollars, or 8.47 pounds).

                    There are a few second-hand stores, but most of those sell them for 4-5 euro, which I consider too high for a second-hand book. There’s one store I discovered that sells quite a few for only 1-2 euro though, but their selection is limited.

                    Greetings from Belgium,

                    Hans

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
                      I am waiting for the new Stephen Donaldson to drop in price - currently $42
                      Australian (hardcover). Around $38-$40 American I would say with the
                      strength of the Aussie dollar at present. Paperbacks around $20. One of our
                      variety stores, Big W usually has paperbacks at 35% off rrp but the
                      selection of fantasy is limited. Methinks you have it cheap!!

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
                        Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
                          At 12:46 AM -0800 12/4/10, craig herbertson wrote:
                          >Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

                          I mostly buy used hardbacks with dust jackets online which in the US is almost always cheaper than using a meatspace store. Generally, I try Amazon 1st and then <http://bookkfinder.com> advanced search.

                          Unless a book is rare or desirable, like a Dune 1st edition, I can usually find a used hardcover that is cheaper than a new paperback even with shipping & handling. And, so far in the US there is no sales tax for these. I get a lot of these from the UK, occasionally from the continent.

                          Bill
                        • Christina Maness

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 5, 2010
                              I agree - it's often cheaper to buy books from the UK or the US via Amazon (including the postage!) than it is to buy books in Australia - particularly if it's a new book just out which we won't get for another few months. USD13.25 is cheap for us Aussies! A new trade paperback can cost AUD$29.00 (USD28.75 / 21.45 Euros / GBP18.22 at today's exchange rate)

                              Elizabeth Coutts

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Speaking as someone who lives in teh UK, I weould say £8.47 is fairly
                                average for a paperback book over here. Some are a lot more expensive,
                                depending on the author and the thickness of the book. I don't think
                                you're being overcharged!

                                Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
                                My Website <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/> ~ My Blog
                                <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/> ~ My Space
                                <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn> ~ My Polkerdot Banner Page
                                com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201> ~
                                Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
                                Available now: 'STARQUEST'
                                <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&produc\
                                ts_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2> ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
                                FATE'
                                <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                                &products_id=909> (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
                                'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
                                <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                                &products_id=1003> : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)

                                "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love the science
                                fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic romance,
                                Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
                                <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

                              • phoebemattdj@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 10, 2010
                                  During December BookStrand is doing a holiday giveaway with three ebooks
                                  and mine is one of them. It is the first book of the urban fantasy Mudflat
                                  series and won the 2009 EPIC Award for best fantasy. Title is Tarbaby
                                  Trouble. To get a free download, go to
                                  http://www.bookstrand.com/tarbaby-trouble and I hope you will enjoy it.

                                  Phoebe Matthews
                                  http://phoebematthews.com