Re: [Fantasy_Books] Terry Prachett signing experience

  • gatewayhm@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2000
      At last I get some time to sit down and tell you all what happened.

      We arrived an hour early, and slowly the queue got longer and longer. He
      finally arrived, settled at the table and one at a time, we all approached.

      The guy in front laid 5 books down, and a PC game booklet. He looked a little
      peeved about it, but signed them all anyways, then he told the guy to move along
      quickly before they (us, we were next) kill him! Ha! So, we gave him a book
      each (my daughter and I) and said we had only bought two as we heard that the
      unsigned ones would be more rare. He told us that actually, after making a
      positive guess, he had came to the conclusion that only about 7% of his books
      had been signed. so I said I'd bring some more next time :).

      We then told him we'd meet him at the church later for the reading. He seemed
      surprised to be in a church and asked us if it really was a church. We said we
      didn't know as we hadn't been there before, but we'll see!

      Well, later came a long, and it really was a church and it was packed! We were
      one of the first ones there, so got a front seat.

      Terry came in after an introduction, and he didn't read, but just told us all
      about how he started writing. He had lots of little funny stories and we were
      all laughing a lot!

      Then he opened the floor up for questions. I jumped up and asked if there would
      be any more books about the witches as they are my favourite. He said there
      would be eventually, then someone asked what book he had just read, what film he
      had just seen and which play he had last seen. Well, he the last play he saw
      was Men At Arms: the last film was Galaxy Quest: and the last book he read was
      The History of Making Snuff!. In his bag for the plane he had a book about
      finding real live Yetis. :)

      He talked about new publications coming up, Discworld conventions, then he said
      he would sign some more books, but only put his scribble in so as to do as many
      as possible in the time left. As I had just got two more books while there, I
      jumped up and got them signed. I thanked him for a very enjoyable evening to
      which he replied, Oh yes, you were down there in the front laughing so much.
      You want to be Nanny Ogg when you grow up don't you? Yes I replied, then he
      said, keep it up, you're doing really well!

      In a week George R. R. Martin, and I am going to try and get my three books
      signed then too!

      Lots of regards to all. Still in cloud nine.

      Valerie.