Re: [Fantasy_Books] Hi everyone!

  • Christina Maness
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 18, 2010
      Bill,
      I hope I can get it hopping again after all I came here to talk books lol. I
      haven't heard of the ones you mentioned either. Maybe we can find a common
      ground to talk on. I can recommend a very good book if you don't like the
      repetition of the usual fantasy books. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is such a
      great book, it is totally different than anything I have ever read. It is set in
      the future, after the world has basically destroyed its self with war and only a
      portion of the worlds population remains. Its set so far into the future that
      they have already found their feet again so to speak and are living under the
      rule of a president but not a president as we know one to be. All that remains
      of the world's population is 12 Districts and each district has its own means of
      trade, such as the main characters district is 12 and it is a poor yet hard
      working arrangement of people. They are minors who work hard for little pay and
      live in poverty. They supply and trade with other districts for things they need
      such as crops. A different district is mostly known for growing crops and
      another district is known for its orchards. The story comes in on the MC who
      must participate in the Hunger Games, which are a annual tradition that
      the Capital (which is district 1 and is where the president and the upper class
      live) has forced the districts to participate in for many many years. Each year
      a one boy and one girl from each of the 12 districts that are of age (12 to
      16) are put into an arena (which is mostly an out door area that is enclosed by
      an invisible doom ) from which they cannot escape. They must fight to the death,
      until there is only one left. That one is the winner. It is televised for all to
      watch. It is a Young Adult book but it brings a powerful message about war and
      its after effects. The MC a girl who changes all the rules and forever changes
      the Hunger Games.

      That is my personal view of the book. It has romance, suspense , action, humor
      and anything else you could want out of good book. The best part is its a
      trilogy. Book 2 is called Catching Fire, and book 3 is Mocking Jay.

      Sorry I tend to get carried away when it comes to books I love :) I meant to
      keep it shorter. Thanks for the welcome :)

      :)
      Christina
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
      dream only by night."

      Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
      Read my blog at- http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

      ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 18, 2010
          All over the spectrum actually. I tend to follow authors more than book genre.
          Too many authors I love write in more than one of them.   Yourself?
           Gloria Oliver
          www.gloriaoliver.com
          Unveiling the Fantastic

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 18, 2010
            Well I enjoy Fiction of many types, but my fav is YA Fantasy/Horror but, same
            as you, some of my fav authors write in other genres, so I tend to read it just
            because they wrote it, no matter what its about. But to pick up a book from an
            unknown (to me) author it has to really grab me and most likely be from my fav
            genre. When I start reading a book if it doesn't grab me and suck me in by the
            end of the first 2 chapters then I stick it on my book shelf never to be read.
            Nothing more sad than a book that's not been read :(

            :)

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 18, 2010
              Hi Christina - have you read Garth Nix' Old Kingdom series starting with
              Sabriel?

              Traci Harding?

              I am a George RR Martin-Donaldson-Tad Williams-Guy Gavriel
              Kay-Gaiman-Gemmel-Hobbs-McCaffrey-Le Guin-Tolkien-King-etc fan myself but I
              also read the books my 17 year old collects (Harding, Brent Weekes, Pullman,
              Jonathan Stroud, Jordan as well as the Eragon, Artemis Fowll and Charlie
              Bone books. He got into fantasy via Harry Potter and Deltora...).

              Cheers

              Peta

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
                Hi,

                Coming out of “lurk mode” (which hardly ever happens) for a bit…

                That’s the second time somebody’s recommended the Hunger Games! Perhaps I should give it a try after all, though it’s not my preferred genre. But I do enjoy young adult fiction.

                As for myself, I like reading the lighter side of fantasy. I’m currently re-reading all the Discworld novels (right now I’m halfway through Soul Music), but my favorite series are (and will probably always be) the “Incarnations of Immortality” and the “Apprentice Adept” series by Piers Anthony.

                Other favorites include Dave Duncan’s “Reluctant Swordsman” trilogy, and his “A Man of his Word” series and the sequel series “A Handful of Men”. I also enjoyed the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, and basically any series/book where somebody is transported to a world of fantasy.

                Hans

                --
                When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
                realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked
                Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

                ________________________________

                Neem eens een kijkje op onze website www.vlm.be

                Vlaamse Landmaatschappij Juridische informatie & e-mail disclaimer:
                1. Juridische vermeldingen

                Vlaamse Landmaatschappij, NV burgerlijke vennootschap met handelsvorm, Gulden Vlieslaan 72, 1060 Brussel, 0236.506.685, RPR Brussel

                2. Disclaimer, Privacy en gebruiksvoorwaarden van de site:

                http://www.vlm.be/algemeen/siteoverzicht/Pages/wettelijke.aspx

              • Christina Maness
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
                  Hans,
                  Yes Hunger Games is very, very good! I have never heard of any of the books
                  you've mentioned but I agree that I to love to read books where the character is
                  transported to another world, although my meaning of "transported to "another
                  world"" may differ from yours. How do you feel about the Harry Potter
                  books? Harry enters another word in that series.

                  Oh and glad I could pull you out of lurking, even if just briefly :)

                  :)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
                    Christina,

                    Sure, you could say that Harry Potter gets transported to a world of fantasy, even if that world exists within our world. Either way, I loved the Harry Potter books!
                    More famous examples of this type of fantasy include the “Kingdom for Sale – Sold” series by Terry Brooks, the “Fionavar Tapestry” trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay and the “Spellsinger” series by Alan Dean Foster.

                    Besides those I mentioned before, a few of my favorite authors include: Christopher Stasheff, Robert Asprin, Raymond E Feist, Rick Cook and Simon Hawke.

                    Greetings from Belgium,

                    Hans

                    PS: ah, I see a Poe quote. Since I know Nevermore by heart, I’ll type one of my favorite parts…
                    “And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain thrilled me, filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before”
                    Edgar Allan Poe, “The Raven”.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
                      Hans,
                      Lol, glad you like the quote. I have read The Raven, but not since I was in
                      school lol. It is a very good poem. I chose this quote because it sort
                      of reflects my feelings toward authors and myself as a writer. I think everyone
                      should do alittle day dreaming now and again :)

                      Other authors I read include: Cassandra Clare, Stephenie Meyer, P.C. Case &
                      Kristen Cast, Christopher Pike, Alyson Noel, Richelle Mead, Rick Rhordan, L.J.
                      Smith, Jean Auel.

                      :)

                      Van: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>

                      From: William C. Garthright
                      <billg@...<mailto:billg%40inebraska.com><mailto:billg%40inebraska.com>>

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
                        Peta,
                        The only names I reconized there were Tolkien and King, but I havent read any of
                        thier books. Of course I have read Harry Potter. I also went to the midnight
                        movie premiere of Deathly Hollows Part I last night (very good).

                        lol
                        :)
                        Christina

                         "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
                        dream only by night."

                        Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
                        Read my blog at- http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

                        ________________________________

                        Thank you Gloria :) What kind of books do you enjoy reading?

                        :)
                        Christina

                        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who
                        dream only by night."

                        Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"
                        Read my blog at- http://vampgirl30.blogspot.com

                      • William C. Garthright
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 19, 2010
                          > That’s the second time somebody’s recommended the Hunger Games!

                          Yes, it's been strongly recommended to me, too, Hans.

                          > The only names I reconized there were Tolkien and King...

                          That's kind of funny, Christina, because I didn't recognize a single
                          author you mentioned - oh, with the exception of Jean Auel, I guess. I
                          am, however, familiar with all of the authors Peta likes. Apparently,
                          you and I have completely different tastes (or else it's just an
                          age-related thing).

                          > ...but I haven't read any of their books.

                          You haven't read Tolkien? Really? You probably should, since he's so
                          very important in fantasy. I think fantasy fans just assume that
                          everyone's read some Tolkien (and maybe HP Lovecraft?).

                          However, I should note that I had a hard time getting into "The Lord of
                          the Rings," since it's slow going at first. It took me halfway through
                          the first book to get hooked, but then I couldn't put the trilogy down.
                          That was a long time ago, but I've read it many times since then.

                          On the other hand, I've never been fond of the little I read of Stephen
                          King. Oh, well, different tastes...

                          Bill

                          http://garthright.blogspot.com/

                          --
                          For only $399, you can send your kids away to spend a few days this
                          summer with Ollie North, professional traitor, frolicking about on a
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 20, 2010
                            As did my son.

                            You may enjoy Stardust by Neil Gaiman (there was a good movie based on the
                            book with Michelle Pfeiffer in the role of a witch and Robert de Niro as a
                            cross-dressing pirate captain). I love Neil Gaiman. Also as I mentioned the
                            Old Kingdom books starting with Sabriel by Garth Nix. Both have characters
                            living in "our world" who travel to an adjoining "fairy" world.

                            Cheers

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 20, 2010
                              I am not particularly a Stephen King fan - but I did really like the Stand
                              and to a lesser extent the Dark Tower series.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
                                Hi everybody,

                                I was wondering how much regular paperback novels cost where you live.

                                Here in Belgium stores that sell English fantasy & SF are hard to find. And the few stores that do stock them, charge way too much (in my opinion).

                                An example: in a store called FNAC, I bought “Unseen Academicals” (a Discworld novel) for my wife, who recently discovered the series (I’m currently re-reading it). It cost me around 10 euro (13.25 dollars, or 8.47 pounds).

                                There are a few second-hand stores, but most of those sell them for 4-5 euro, which I consider too high for a second-hand book. There’s one store I discovered that sells quite a few for only 1-2 euro though, but their selection is limited.

                                Greetings from Belgium,

                                Hans

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 3, 2010
                                  I am waiting for the new Stephen Donaldson to drop in price - currently $42
                                  Australian (hardcover). Around $38-$40 American I would say with the
                                  strength of the Aussie dollar at present. Paperbacks around $20. One of our
                                  variety stores, Big W usually has paperbacks at 35% off rrp but the
                                  selection of fantasy is limited. Methinks you have it cheap!!

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
                                    Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 4, 2010
                                      At 12:46 AM -0800 12/4/10, craig herbertson wrote:
                                      >Germany is expensive - particularly for hardbacks second hand.

                                      I mostly buy used hardbacks with dust jackets online which in the US is almost always cheaper than using a meatspace store. Generally, I try Amazon 1st and then <http://bookkfinder.com> advanced search.

                                      Unless a book is rare or desirable, like a Dune 1st edition, I can usually find a used hardcover that is cheaper than a new paperback even with shipping & handling. And, so far in the US there is no sales tax for these. I get a lot of these from the UK, occasionally from the continent.

                                      Bill
                                    • Christina Maness

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 5, 2010
                                          I agree - it's often cheaper to buy books from the UK or the US via Amazon (including the postage!) than it is to buy books in Australia - particularly if it's a new book just out which we won't get for another few months. USD13.25 is cheap for us Aussies! A new trade paperback can cost AUD$29.00 (USD28.75 / 21.45 Euros / GBP18.22 at today's exchange rate)

                                          Elizabeth Coutts

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 9, 2010
                                            Speaking as someone who lives in teh UK, I weould say £8.47 is fairly
                                            average for a paperback book over here. Some are a lot more expensive,
                                            depending on the author and the thickness of the book. I don't think
                                            you're being overcharged!

                                            Lyn (Hywela Lyn)
                                            My Website <http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/> ~ My Blog
                                            <http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com/> ~ My Space
                                            <http://www.myspace.com/hywelalyn> ~ My Polkerdot Banner Page
                                            com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=201> ~
                                            Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/HywelaLyn>
                                            Available now: 'STARQUEST'
                                            <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&produc\
                                            ts_id=937&zenid=3970ce01157ee40c7692940d98b22aa2> ~*~ 'DANCING WITH
                                            FATE'
                                            <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                                            &products_id=909> (One of the `Song of The Muses' series)
                                            'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'
                                            <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=\
                                            &products_id=1003> : 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest)

                                            "If you are looking for action, danger, romance, and love the science
                                            fiction then look no further than Hywela Lyn's futuristic romance,
                                            Starquest! "THE PEN AND MUSE'
                                            <http://thepenmuse.blogspot.com/2008/11/pen-review-starquest.html>

                                          • phoebemattdj@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 10, 2010
                                              During December BookStrand is doing a holiday giveaway with three ebooks
                                              and mine is one of them. It is the first book of the urban fantasy Mudflat
                                              series and won the 2009 EPIC Award for best fantasy. Title is Tarbaby
                                              Trouble. To get a free download, go to
                                              http://www.bookstrand.com/tarbaby-trouble and I hope you will enjoy it.

                                              Phoebe Matthews
                                              http://phoebematthews.com