CHARLES SAUNDERS LATEST FANTASY - A MUST READ!

  • Amy Harlib
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2010
      aharlib@...
      Any author would kill to get a review like this! I couldn't agree more with every word!
      Y'all must read this book!

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010
        > Any author would kill to get a review like this! I couldn't agree more with every word!
        > Y'all must read this book!

        I didn't read the whole review, Amy, because it warned about spoilers,
        and I thought I might want to start with the first in the series. So I
        checked out the reviews (for the first book) at Amazon.com, instead.

        Most of the reviews were very positive, but they praised the fact that
        it had an African hero and setting, instead of commenting much about the
        fantasy itself. I'm always glad to see more diversity in fantasy, but
        that's not why I'd read the book.

        The hero seemed to be compared to Tarzan and Conan - a superhero kind of
        he-man, I guess you'd say - and those aren't the kinds of fantasy that
        appeal to me. Well, I don't need any more books anyway, but I thought
        I'd see if you'd disagree with that. Is there more here than just that
        it has an African hero?

        Bill

        http://garthright.blogspot.com/

        --
        You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality.
        Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. - Malcolm X
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010
          aharlib@...

          That whole comparison to Tarzan and Conan was a marketing gimmick by the
          publisher and is unfortunate because it puts off readers just like you.

          The Imaro stories are about a character with more depth than just a he-man,
          yes, he's physically strong and powerful but he also has a lot of emotional
          issues too and the setting is a brilliant alternate universe magical Africa
          that is just fascinating and wonderful to read about and the supporting
          characters in the stories are vivid and fun and include feisty women too!
          There's lots of fantasy in these books - shamanic wizardry and weird
          creatures and monsters and supernatural beings.

          Definitely give Imaro a try and Saunder's Dossouye series too.

          Cheers!
          Amy
          >> Any author would kill to get a review like this! I couldn't agree more
          >> with every word!
          >> Y'all must read this book!
          >

          > I didn't read the whole review, Amy, because it warned about spoilers,
          > and I thought I might want to start with the first in the series. So I
          > checked out the reviews (for the first book) at Amazon.com, instead.
          >
          > Most of the reviews were very positive, but they praised the fact that
          > it had an African hero and setting, instead of commenting much about the
          > fantasy itself. I'm always glad to see more diversity in fantasy, but
          > that's not why I'd read the book.
          >
          > The hero seemed to be compared to Tarzan and Conan - a superhero kind of
          > he-man, I guess you'd say - and those aren't the kinds of fantasy that
          > appeal to me. Well, I don't need any more books anyway, but I thought
          > I'd see if you'd disagree with that. Is there more here than just that
          > it has an African hero?
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > http://garthright.blogspot.com/
          >
          > --
          > You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality.
          > Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. - Malcolm X

        • William C. Garthright
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2010
            > That whole comparison to Tarzan and Conan was a marketing gimmick by
            > the publisher and is unfortunate because it puts off readers just
            > like you.

            OK, I'll give it a try sometime. Thanks for the tip, Amy.

            Bill

            http://garthright.blogspot.com/

            --
            In the dark halls of Abu Ghraib and the detention cells of Guantanamo,
            we have compromised our most precious values. What could have been a