Re: [Fantasy_Books] "Bound in Blood" by P.C. Hodgell

  • William C. Garthright
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2010
      > Not a fan Bill and unlikely to be. It sounds like another Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones saga.

      Well, it's not THAT bad, Peta. :-)

      The big problem is just that she apparently writes very slowly - 9 years
      between the second and third book, and 12 years between the third and
      fourth? Between their publication dates, anyway. And "Bound in Blood" is
      the only one which hasn't moved the story forward.

      That was my big problem with the Wheel of Time series. I really enjoyed
      the early books (though I had some problems with them even then), but
      eventually, the series just stopped going anywhere, it seemed. I stuck
      with them far too long, but eventually, I gave up. (And since Jordan
      died before he ever finished, I guess that was the right decision, huh?)

      > I am terrified that GRRMartin is not going to be able to see his story out. I dread going to his website as he looks older every new picture (of course he is).

      I read the first book, "A Game of Thrones," but it didn't appeal to me
      enough to continue the series. However, I made a note of your highly
      favorable opinion of it, posted earlier here, so I've been wondering if
      I needed to give it another try. I guess now I won't, at least until I
      know if the series will ever be finished.

      > I am also waiting for the next instalment of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I read the first book when I was still at high school. 30 years on and I'm not sure if Jean M Auel is still alive!!

      Wow, is that series still going on? My parents just raved about it, so I
      read the first two or three books. I enjoyed the first (again, I had
      some problems with it, but I really liked the idea), but it quickly
      changed into something too ridiculous for me. Well, I might have been
      better off thinking of it as pure fantasy, I don't know.

      I think I prefer Jack London's "Before Adam" (1907), although I must
      admit that it's been decades since I read it, so I really don't remember
      that much about it.

      http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/310

      Bill

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/

      --
      A scientist looks around, observes phenomena, and then tries to explain
      them. If these explanations fail, then they are modified or discarded.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2010
        I absolutely loved the first book in the series, Mystic and Rider, so I was excited to find the sequel, Thirteenth House. But I have to say, I was disappointed. Maybe I was expecting a little more romance, like her other books and especially like the previous book, but it was pretty depressing and the ending left me wondering if it was really going to turn out or not. The heroine ultimately did the right thing, and it seemed as if all was not lost, but it wasn't really a true happy ending, just sort of a hope that it might be, but only temporarily.
        Anyone read it? Thoughts?
        Warm wishes,
        Donna
        ~
        Donna Hatch
        Believe in happy endings…

        The Stranger She Married, Book 1 of the Rogue Hearts Series -- a Golden Quill Finalist
        Coming Soon: Queen in Exile, a fantasy
        Coming April 2010: The Guise of a Gentleman; Book 2 of the Rogue Hearts Series
        http://www.donnahatch.com
        http://donnahatch.blogspot.com/
        http://historicalhussies.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2010
          A Game of Thrones has been picked up for a series and a pilot is/has been
          produced. There are some stills on GRRM's website. May not go any further of
          course, but would love to see some footage.

          Cheers