"Bound in Blood" by P.C. Hodgell

  • William C. Garthright
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2010
      I just finished "Bound in Blood" (2010) by P.C. Hodgell, the fifth in
      her Kencyrath fantasy series. If you're curious, I've got more details
      here...

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/2010/03/bound-in-blood-by-pc-hodgell.html

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/yhaqsna

      ... but basically, I was disappointed because nothing much new happens.
      It seems like just a continuation of the previous book, "To Ride a
      Rathorn." True, that book is my favorite in the series, but I still
      expect a new book to have something new to offer - new insights, new
      characters, new situations, whatever.

      Furthermore, it's been 28 years since the first book, "God Stalk," was
      published. This is only the fifth book in the series, and we don't seem
      to be getting anywhere. I'm wondering if we're ever going to see the
      conclusion of this. (As it turns out, I'm almost exactly the same age as
      the author, and I'm not sure I've got another 28 years in me.)

      But I really have enjoyed this series. I loved the first book, and
      although the second dragged a little, the third and fourth were also
      great. Is anyone else here a fan?

      Bill

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/

      --
      I have no problem with any of the substantive criticism of President
      Obama from the right or left. But something very dangerous is happening.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2010
        Not a fan Bill and unlikely to be. It sounds like another Wheel of Time and
        Game of Thrones saga. I am terrified that GRRMartin is not going to be able
        to see his story out. I dread going to his website as he looks older every
        new picture (of course he is).

        I am also waiting for the next instalment of the Clan of the Cave Bear
        series. I read the first book when I was still at high school. 30 years on
        and I'm not sure if Jean M Auel is still alive!!

        Hang in there Bill !!

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2010
          > Not a fan Bill and unlikely to be. It sounds like another Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones saga.

          Well, it's not THAT bad, Peta. :-)

          The big problem is just that she apparently writes very slowly - 9 years
          between the second and third book, and 12 years between the third and
          fourth? Between their publication dates, anyway. And "Bound in Blood" is
          the only one which hasn't moved the story forward.

          That was my big problem with the Wheel of Time series. I really enjoyed
          the early books (though I had some problems with them even then), but
          eventually, the series just stopped going anywhere, it seemed. I stuck
          with them far too long, but eventually, I gave up. (And since Jordan
          died before he ever finished, I guess that was the right decision, huh?)

          > I am terrified that GRRMartin is not going to be able to see his story out. I dread going to his website as he looks older every new picture (of course he is).

          I read the first book, "A Game of Thrones," but it didn't appeal to me
          enough to continue the series. However, I made a note of your highly
          favorable opinion of it, posted earlier here, so I've been wondering if
          I needed to give it another try. I guess now I won't, at least until I
          know if the series will ever be finished.

          > I am also waiting for the next instalment of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I read the first book when I was still at high school. 30 years on and I'm not sure if Jean M Auel is still alive!!

          Wow, is that series still going on? My parents just raved about it, so I
          read the first two or three books. I enjoyed the first (again, I had
          some problems with it, but I really liked the idea), but it quickly
          changed into something too ridiculous for me. Well, I might have been
          better off thinking of it as pure fantasy, I don't know.

          I think I prefer Jack London's "Before Adam" (1907), although I must
          admit that it's been decades since I read it, so I really don't remember
          that much about it.

          http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/310

          Bill

          http://garthright.blogspot.com/

          --
          A scientist looks around, observes phenomena, and then tries to explain
          them. If these explanations fail, then they are modified or discarded.
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15, 2010
            I absolutely loved the first book in the series, Mystic and Rider, so I was excited to find the sequel, Thirteenth House. But I have to say, I was disappointed. Maybe I was expecting a little more romance, like her other books and especially like the previous book, but it was pretty depressing and the ending left me wondering if it was really going to turn out or not. The heroine ultimately did the right thing, and it seemed as if all was not lost, but it wasn't really a true happy ending, just sort of a hope that it might be, but only temporarily.
            Anyone read it? Thoughts?
            Warm wishes,
            Donna
            ~
            Donna Hatch
            Believe in happy endings…

            The Stranger She Married, Book 1 of the Rogue Hearts Series -- a Golden Quill Finalist
            Coming Soon: Queen in Exile, a fantasy
            Coming April 2010: The Guise of a Gentleman; Book 2 of the Rogue Hearts Series
            http://www.donnahatch.com
            http://donnahatch.blogspot.com/
            http://historicalhussies.blogspot.com/
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 15, 2010
              A Game of Thrones has been picked up for a series and a pilot is/has been
              produced. There are some stills on GRRM's website. May not go any further of
              course, but would love to see some footage.

              Cheers