Re: Asking for advice?

  • Vanessa
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
      First of all, congratulations on selling so many copies through your own efforts. That's really fantastic.

      I think you might consider just 'pretending you never did publish america." Just say you self published for friends who clamored for the story, then this grew to 6000 sales. And now you're looking for someone to help bring the story to a larger audience.

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "mlsbook1" <mlsbook1@...> wrote:

      > Well, first of all, sadly I have been a member of this group for over three years and have done little on it, simply because I am confused how to take full advantage this group. I am a childrens book writer of a fantasy series called Marky, Slash & Levy. I have two books published and a third ready to go and a short story soon to follow. I am a student of the Children's Institute of Literature in West Redding Conneticut (enjoy being enrolled). I have sold over 6,000 copies of my first two books,THE ADVENTURES OF MARKY, SLASH & LEVY and MARKY, SLASH & LEVY : RETURN TO MAVENWOOD. I have had hundreds of compliments of the storyline, but with success has come a setback...my first two books are with PUBLISH AMERICA I now feel is like a cancer on the series I have created. I thought when I signed on four years ago that they were a REAL publishing company. My books are really nice but the lack of editing is what my critics jab me with. I have lots of ideas about the series (which will finish with Book 4) and where I want to take Marky, Slash & Levy but feel trapped with Publish America being tagged to them. With Book 3: MARKY, SLASH & LEVY Vs. THE DOOMSDAY DEVICE edited and ready to go somewhere, I do not want it to be Publish America, with the wondeful emails I have gotten from my young readers I want to put the guys in a boat that will lead somewhere. I am looking for advice? To learn a bit more about the guys check out www.myspace.com/markyslashlevy
      >
      > Thank You,
      > L.B. Fox

    • Levi and Jennifer Fox
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
        LOL, I never that PA was such a plague in the book world. I like the way you put that!

        First of all, congratulations on selling so many copies through your own efforts. That's really fantastic.

        I think you might consider just 'pretending you never did publish america." Just say you self published for friends who clamored for the story, then this grew to 6000 sales. And now you're looking for someone to help bring the story to a larger audience.

        --- In Fantasy_Books@ yahoogroups. com, "mlsbook1" <mlsbook1@.. .> wrote:

        > Well, first of all, sadly I have been a member of this group for over three years and have done little on it, simply because I am confused how to take full advantage this group. I am a childrens book writer of a fantasy series called Marky, Slash & Levy. I have two books published and a third ready to go and a short story soon to follow. I am a student of the Children's Institute of Literature in West Redding Conneticut (enjoy being enrolled). I have sold over 6,000 copies of my first two books,THE ADVENTURES OF MARKY, SLASH & LEVY and MARKY, SLASH & LEVY : RETURN TO MAVENWOOD. I have had hundreds of compliments of the storyline, but with success has come a setback...my first two books are with PUBLISH AMERICA I now feel is like a cancer on the series I have created. I thought when I signed on four years ago that they were a REAL publishing company. My books are really nice but the lack of editing is what my critics jab me with. I have lots of ideas
        about the series (which will finish with Book 4) and where I want to take Marky, Slash & Levy but feel trapped with Publish America being tagged to them. With Book 3: MARKY, SLASH & LEVY Vs. THE DOOMSDAY DEVICE edited and ready to go somewhere, I do not want it to be Publish America, with the wondeful emails I have gotten from my young readers I want to put the guys in a boat that will lead somewhere. I am looking for advice? To learn a bit more about the guys check out www.myspace. com/markyslashle vy

        > Thank You,
        > L.B. Fox

      • Vanessa
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009
          I don't think there's anything wrong with publishamerica, but it gets a bad name. i think lulu is better for people who want to sell the book themselves and get some printed, as there's no gimmicks and no up front costs. the price per book is a little high, but i'm not sure many people can come up with 4 or $5000 a small print-run printer would charge for 1000 books. and with lulu if you don't sell any at least it doesnt cost you anything.

        • risseybug@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009
            PublishAmerica is a vanity press. Why? Because they have no editing (sorry,
            I don't consider what they do editing by any stretch of the imagination.),
            no distribution, and their primary customers are their own authors. The
            books are overpriced and they are difficult to deal with, especially if you
            question them on anything.

            You'd do better, if you really don't want to submit to publishers, to go
            through Lulu.

            Ultimately the best choice is an actual publisher, that pays you for your
            book and does real editing and tries to sell to book readers. Even a small
            press is better than PA.

            Christine
            _www.christine-norris.com_ (http://www.christine-norris.com)

            --- In _Fantasy_Books@Fantasy_BookFan_
            (mailto:Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com) , Levi and Jennifer Fox <mlsbook1@..m> wrote:

            > LOL, I never that PA was such a plague in the book world. I like the way
            you put that!

            Steps!
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377107x1201454434/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
            yExcfooterNO62)