RE: [Fantasy_Books] InkHeart movie

  • The Bohemian Piano
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
      G'day,

      I'd not heard of InkHeart until this email, then saw the books for sale
      through my daughter's school. Being true to marketing, there was very
      little useful detail concerning these books in the flyer. Can you give me a
      rough Synopsis, without spoilers, or some other sort of review, please? I'd
      love to hear more about it!

      The Bohemian Piano

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
        German novel. Essentially, a man reads books and the characters come to life. Its a bit harry potterish. I suspect in German it was a very good novel and conceptually it is very good. Its a kind of crossover novel and quite dark at times. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

        Craig

        Address: Alte Bahnhof Str 167, 44892 Bochum
        handi: 0177 474 5718 Fax: 0234 5414884craigherbertson.com           contact@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
          Cornelia Funke's Ink books are very popular here in the US, kids really
          enjoy them. I haven't read them yet, but I've had my Library of Athena series
          compared to them, just for the whole 'books coming to life' aspect.

          Christine
          _www.christine-norris.com_ (http://www.christine-norris.com)

          In a message dated 3/10/2009 9:24:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          craigherbertson@... writes:

          German novel. Essentially, a man reads books and the characters come to
          life. Its a bit harry potterish. I suspect in German it was a very good novel and
          conceptually it is very good. Its a kind of crossover novel and quite dark
          at times. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

          Craig

          Address: Alte Bahnhof Str 167, 44892 Bochum
          handi: 0177 474 5718 Fax: 0234 5414884craigherberthandi:
          _contact@craigherbercontact@_ (mailto:contact@...)

          I loved the book so was a little nervous about going to the movie but oh

          gosh, it is

          gorgeous, true to not only the story but also the atmosphere and characters..

          Fantasy lovers

          should enjoy this one. I hope they will continue and make the next two

          books with this

          great cast. I adored them all and of course, as a book lover, I wanted to

          own auntie's

          library! Helen M is fabulous as the auntie.

          steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
          %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

        • Kat Hooper
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
            We've got a synopsis and review of Inkheart (and some other Cornelia Funke
            novels) here: http://www.fantasyliterature.net/funkecornelia.html

            I hope that's helpful.

            Kat

            _____

            <http://www.christine-norris.com> e-norris.com)

            craigherbertson@ <mailto:craigherbertson%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com writes:

            German novel. Essentially, a man reads books and the characters come to
            life. Its a bit harry potterish. I suspect in German it was a very good
            novel and
            conceptually it is very good. Its a kind of crossover novel and quite dark
            at times. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

            Craig

            Address: Alte Bahnhof Str 167, 44892 Bochum
            handi: 0177 474 5718 Fax: 0234 5414884craigherberthandi:
            _contact@craigherbercontact@_ (mailto:contact@craigherber
            <mailto:contact%40craigherbertson.com> tson.com)

            --- On Tue, 10/3/09, The Bohemian Piano <_bpiano@iinet.
            <mailto:_bpiano%40iinet.bpiano> bpiano_
            From: The Bohemian Piano <_bpiano@iinet. <mailto:_bpiano%40iinet.bpiano>
            bpiano_ (mailto:bpiano@iinet. <mailto:bpiano%40iinet.net.au> net.au) >
            To: _Fantasy_Books@Fantasy_BookFan_ (mailto:Fantasy_Books@
            <mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com)

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
              I checked out this page and it is beautiful plus has a good review. The story is not a Harry Potter type, which pretty much centers around the children. This book has a child but the story really centers around the adults. Daughter is following Dad who is searching for Mom who disappeared because of his mistakes in using his magic. Thanks for the link.

              --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Kat Hooper" <Kat@...> wrote:

              > We've got a synopsis and review of Inkheart (and some other Cornelia Funke
              > novels) here: http://www.fantasyliterature.net/funkecornelia.html
              >

              > I hope that's helpful.
              >

              > Kat
              >

              > _____

            • craig herbertson
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
                I should have added that I'm difficult to please. most readers of modern fantasy would probably like Inkheart. I like Eddison and David Lindsay, William Morris, Kenneth Morris Lord Dunsany, Peake. At an absolute stretch I would say I found Tim Powers 'Drawing of the Dark' a well written, intelligent novel but didn't particularly enjoy it. On the grounds of being an anchronism I should have probably not made an attempt to review the book.

                She seems like a nice person too. And I agree on reflection its not particularly Harry Potter. I was thinking there of the modern concept of fantasy and how the they are often located in this dull world