Fwd: Odyssey Writing Workshop 2009

  • Tim Andrews
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "Susan Sielinski" <susansielinski@...>
      Date: Feb 5, 2009 10:30 AM
      Subject: Odyssey Writing Workshop 2009
      To: <Fantasy_Books-owner@yahoogroups.com>

      Dear *Fantasy_Books* List Owner,

      If the members of Fantasy_Books are interested in writing science fiction,
      fantasy, or horror, they might be interested in the Odyssey Writing
      Workshop. The 2009 workshop will be held from June 8 to July 17 at Saint
      Anselm College <http://www.anselm.edu/> in Manchester, New Hampshire.
      Odyssey provides a great opportunity for writers to improve their skills and
      receive feedback from editors and authors. More information can be found in
      the press release below, or on the workshop website www.odysseyworkshop.org.
      The director, Jeanne Cavelos <http://www.sff.net/odyssey/jcbio.html>, is
      always happy to answer questions and discuss the workshop. She can be
      reached by email at jcavelos@....

      I'd appreciate it if you'd consider forwarding this to your list.

      Thank you,

      Susan Sielinski

      Odyssey Administrator

      susansielinski@...

      www.odysseyworkshop.org

      ****************************

      Publicity Release

      January 2009

      ODYSSEY WRITING WORKSHOP

      ANNOUNCES SUMMER 2009 SESSION

      * *

      *About Odyssey*

      Since its inception in 1996, Odyssey has earned a place as one of the most
      respected workshops in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror writing
      community. Odyssey is for developing writers whose work is approaching
      publication quality and for published writers who want to improve their
      work. The six-week workshop combines an intensive learning and writing
      experience with in-depth feedback on student manuscripts. Top authors,
      editors, and agents have served as guest lecturers, including George R. R.
      Martin, Harlan Ellison, Jane Yolen, Terry Brooks, Robert J. Sawyer, Ben
      Bova, Nancy Kress, Elizabeth Hand, Jeff VanderMeer, Donald Maass, Sheila
      Williams, Shawna McCarthy, and Dan Simmons. Fifty-three percent of Odyssey
      graduates go on to professional publication.

      The program is held every summer on Saint Anselm College's beautiful campus
      in Manchester, NH. Saint Anselm is one of the finest liberal arts colleges
      in the country, dedicated to excellence in education, and its campus
      provides a unique, lovely setting and state-of-the art facilities for
      Odyssey students. College credit is available upon request.

      Jeanne Cavelos, Odyssey's director, founder, and primary instructor, is a
      best-selling author and a former senior editor at Bantam Doubleday Dell
      Publishing, where she won the World Fantasy Award for her work. Being a
      writer/editor makes Cavelos uniquely suited to provide students with
      constructive and professional critiques of their work. "I give the same
      unflinchingly honest, concrete, detailed feedback that I provided as a
      senior editor," Cavelos said. Her typewritten critiques average around
      1,000 words, and her handwritten line edits on manuscripts are extensive.
      In addition, she guides students through the six weeks, gaining in-depth
      knowledge of their work, providing detailed assessments of their strengths
      and weaknesses in private meetings, and helping them target their weaknesses
      one by one.

      Odyssey class time is split between workshopping sessions and lectures. An
      advanced, comprehensive curriculum covers the elements of fiction writing in
      depth. Students learn the tools and techniques necessary to strengthen their
      writing.

      The workshop runs from June 8th to July 17th, 2009. Class meets for four
      hours in the morning, five days a week. Students spend about eight hours
      more per day writing and critiquing each

      other's work. Prospective students, aged eighteen and up, apply from all
      over the world. The early admission application deadline is JANUARY 31st,
      and the regular admission deadline is APRIL 8th. Tuition is $1900, and
      housing is $700 for a double room and $1400 for a single.

      *Meet Our 2009 Writer-in-Residence*

      Odyssey's 2009 writer-in-residence is Carrie Vaughn, *New York
      Times*bestselling author and Odyssey 1998
      graduate<http://www.sff.net/odyssey/gl09bio.html#cv>.
      Carrie is the author of the phenomenally popular "Kitty" novels, about a
      werewolf who hosts a talk radio show. The first novel, *Kitty and the
      Midnight Hour *has over a hundred thousand copies in print. Books five and
      six of the series, *Dead Man's Hand *and *Kitty Raises Hell*, will appear in
      2009. Carrie's short stories have appeared in *Realms of Fantasy*, *Weird
      Tales*, George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards series, and other anthologies. She
      has a Master's degree in English Literature from the University of Colorado
      at Boulder and has been a lifelong science fiction fan and reader.

      *Other Guest Lecturers*

      Odyssey is pleased to welcome its 2009 guest lecturers: bestselling author
      Jeffrey A. Carver; award-winning authors Melissa Scott, Patricia Bray, and
      Jack Ketchum, and Editor-in-Chief of the Ace and Roc science fiction/fantasy
      imprints, Ginjer Buchanan.

      *Odyssey Graduates*

      If you're reading science fiction, fantasy, and horror, you're reading the
      work of Odyssey graduates. If you've read recent issues of some of the top
      fiction magazines in the field--*Realms of Fantasy*, *Asimov's*,
      *Analog*, *Weird
      Tales*, *Fantasy Magazine*, *Intergalactic Medicine Show*--you've read
      stories by Odyssey graduates Theodora Goss, David Barr Kirtley, Eric James
      Stone, Clayton Kroh, Larry Hodges, Matthew S. Rotundo, James Maxey, Carrie
      Vaughn, Carl Frederick, and Andrea Kail.

      If you've been to the bookstore lately, you've seen books by Odyssey
      graduates, including *Superpowers* by David J. Schwartz, published by Random
      House; *Dragonforge* by James Maxey, published by Solaris Books;
      *Maledicte*by Lane Robins, published by Del Rey;
      *Bloodstone* by Barbara Campbell, published by DAW; *Red Dragon Codex* by R.
      D. Henham, published by Mirrorstone Books; *The Mirror* by Natalia Lincoln,
      published by Space & Time Books; *The Eunuch's Heir* by Elaine Isaak,
      published by HarperCollins; and *Kitty and the Silver Bullet* by Carrie
      Vaughn, published by Warner.

      *Comments from the Class of 2008*

      "I sold three novels before I came to Odyssey. I just wish I had gone to
      Odyssey *before* I wrote them--they would have been better books. Odyssey
      freakin' rocks!"

      --J. Justin Gustainis, author of *Evil Ways*

      "You will never be more eager to work yourself to the bone. Nor will you
      have as much reward for doing it. The six weeks at Odyssey have done more
      for my writing career than my bachelor's degree in creative writing. I only
      wish I'd known about it sooner."

      --Breanna Wojcik

      *Other Odyssey Resources and Services*

      The Odyssey website www.odysseyworkshop.org
      <http://www.sff.net/odyssey>offers free podcasts, writing and
      publishing tips, a class syllabus, and
      more information about how to apply. An overview of the Odyssey Critique
      Service is also available on the website at
      http://www.sff.net/odyssey/crit.html. This service provides authors with
      professional-level feedback on their writing, done with the thoroughness and
      depth for which Odyssey is known.

      Those interested in applying to the workshop should visit the website,
      phone/fax (603) 673-6234, or e-mail jcavelos@....