Stirring the pot

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
      On the assumption that we all like to talk fantasy literature when we
      aren't reading fantasy literature, I'll throw the following to the group:

      Give me your top five fantasy series/novels (Lord of the Rings counts
      as one entry). Bonus points if you can identify why the series/novel
      appeals to you so much.

      Here's hoping we don't all agree...that would be boring.

      Shep
    • craig herbertson
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
        LoR\; Tolkein
        The Worm Ouroborous: trilogy Eddison
        A Voyage to Arcturus: Lindsay
        The Dying Earth trilogy: Vance
        Gormenghast: Peake

        In no order

        Craig

        Address: Alte Bahnhof Str 167, 44892 Bochum
        handi: 0177 474 5718 Fax: 0234 5414884craigherbertson.com           contact@...

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
          In no particular order

          1. LOTR - Do I really need to explain this one?
          2. Aegypt series by Crowley - Most people consider this literature but it is
          so deep. I enjoy because while it starts off slow it speeds up, and every
          single character breathes. It makes you think and there is something very
          human about it.
          3. Discworld by Terry Pratchett (in fact, just about anything by Terry
          Pratchett). Wyrd Sisters was the first book that made me laugh when I was
          suffering from Depression.
          4.Hero and the Crown - First fantasy book I read where the main hero is a
          girl and that's why I love it.
          5. Watership Down-love the language.

          Chris
          (who if you ask tomorrow every thing beside LOTR and Discworld might change).

          In a message dated 1/7/2009 1:48:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          mashepardson@... writes:

          On the assumption that we all like to talk fantasy literature when we
          aren't reading fantasy literature, I'll throw the following to the group:

          Give me your top five fantasy series/novels (Lord of the Rings counts
          as one entry). Bonus points if you can identify why the series/novel
          appeals to you so much.

          Here's hoping we don't all agree...that would be boring.

          Shep

        • William C. Garthright
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
            > Give me your top five fantasy series/novels (Lord of the Rings counts as one entry). Bonus points if you can identify why the series/novel appeals to you so much.

            These are just the books I remember right now. As Chris said, I might
            make different selections tomorrow.

            1) Lord of the Rings - yeah, big surprise, huh?

            2) Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion series - I love her
            character-based fiction, and I really like the unique system of gods in
            this fantasy world (and the relative absence of magic). I can't say
            enough about these three books, especially the first two.

            3) C. J. Cherryh's Fortress series (except for the last one, which was
            really unnecessary, I thought) - Another of my favorite character-based
            authors. Like Bujold, Cherryh comes up with very likable characters.

            4) David Eddings' Belgariad - Nothing unique at all, but lots of fun.
            And after the Belgariad, he wrote the same story all over again (with
            pretty much the same characters) in the Mallorean. One of those authors
            who had ONE story in him, and no more.

            5) The Liaden series by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee - I'm not sure if
            these books belong here, because they are romantic space opera, with
            some fantasy elements (lots of psychic powers). Again, I like the
            characters (notice the pattern here?), and I usually like some romance
            in my fiction, too (although this series almost goes overboard there).

            The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the
            palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. - H. L. Mencken
          • Sharon
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
              In no particular order and my criteria was that I have had the books in my personal "library" for many years and re-read them often. I don't watch TV or go to movies, I read for entertainment so any books that are on my shelves must entertain me or they don't stay.

              The "series" were more difficult that the single books, because in many series (including the ones that I picked) there are often one or two that didn't appeal to me as much as the others, consequently I don't re-read often, or at all. But these are the ones with the majority of the series definite long-term favorites that I re-read at least once a year, if not more.

              Emma Bull: War of the Oaks
              This was my first 'urban fantasy' favorite and is still my favorite after all of the others than have appeared since this one was published in 1987. Wonderful characters and interesting plot held together with music.

              Robin McKinley: Beauty
              I've always liked fairy stories and this was probably the first of the "rewritten for modern youth/adults" fairy tales I read. Again, although there are other authors who have done this also and done it well, this remains my absolute favorite. The characters are vivid, the tension between Beauty and her "Beast" seems reasonable, if any fairy story can be "reasonable" and while I have others from this specific genre that I like, it is this book I would pick if I were told I could only keep one book out of the retold fairy tales.

              Robin McKinley: The Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown
              Not sure if two books can really be a "series" but this is a book and it's prequel, definitely go together.
              Classic fantasy, bold, very individual female protagonists and although the plots are very typical, the author presents the characters so vividly and they are so definitely individual, the plot manages to feel more unique than it actually is.

              Mercedes Lackey: The Fairy Godmother
              This is one of my "take to a desert island" books, right up there with "Beauty" as far as the author taking the basic framework of an old fairy tale and reworking it into a full length book with interesting, unique characters and an expanded, plot based on the original "Cinderella" story.

              Lois Bujold: The Chalion series
              Bujold's "Vorkosigan" series had always been one of my favorite SF series and when she came out with the first of this fantasy series, I was prepared to be disappointed ... and was, instead absolutely blown away with "The Curse of Chalion". Very unique primary character, not in the usual "hero" mold and set in a world with a completely different, well developed religious concept of gods which I also found fascinating.

              Sharon in KY
              Kaleidoscope Farm

            • Bill B.
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                1. LOTR

                The rest in no particular order (top 10, 5 are too few)

                Pendragon series by Stephen Lawhead
                Seven Rivers series or Bridei Cronicles (not sure which - all of her books) by Juliet Marillier
                Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
                Stone Dance of the Chameleon by RIcardo Pinto
                The Pern cycle by Anne McCaffrey
                Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercades Lackey
                Riftwar & Servent of the Empire trils,, Raymond Feist (and J. Wurts)
                Belgariad (+Polgara) by David Eddings
                Harry Potter - really fun

                Honorable mention to Perelandra trilogy

                Moving up when I finish it may be The Dark Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

                Bill

                >In a message dated 1/7/2009 1:48:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                >mashepardson@... writes:
                >
                >On the assumption that we all like to talk fantasy literature when we
                >aren't reading fantasy literature, I'll throw the following to the group:
                >
                >Give me your top five fantasy series/novels (Lord of the Rings counts
                >as one entry). Bonus points if you can identify why the series/novel
                >appeals to you so much.
                >
                >Here's hoping we don't all agree...that would be boring.
              • Kat Hooper
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Not in order (and excluding Tolkien):

                  * Robin Hobb's Farseer Saga
                  * Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series
                  * Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
                  * Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster
                  * Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

                  Kat

                  www.fantasyliterature.net

                • Steven Middaugh
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                    In no order:

                    Conan the Barbarian series by Robert E. Howard- Who doesn't want to feel macho in kicking butt against all kinds of monsters?  And no, you won't find cute little fairies in this one.
                    Myth Adventure by Robert Aspirin- Laugh out loud funny punster fantasy.
                    Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust - Loads of fun.
                    Lotr by Tolkien- Still fun with some seriousness along the way.  It's still adventuresome.
                    Harry Potter- Loads of fun.
                    Chronicles of Narnia- loads of fun.  Nevermind the theological undercurrents.  Never let that distract me.
                    John the Balladeer series by Manly Wade Wellman- Fantastic stuff with weird and spooky moments.  Can't help but like that mountain balladeer character known simply as John.
                    Kane series by Karl Edward Wagner- Some writer described that series as "Robert E. Howard on LSD."  It's an apt description.  It's a dark, scary series about an eternal wanderer named Kane who had some lofty ambitions which was purely out of boredom.  Love that series.

                    That's about it.  Hope this helps.
                    Darkomik77

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                      Top 5

                      1. A Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin. Love it because none of the
                      chaaracters are "safe". Enjoy the way the books are structured - each
                      chapter from a different character's point of view. There are characters you
                      loathe as the beginning who you grow to like. Lots of unexpected twists.

                      Deverry - Katharine Kerr - Enjoy the way past and present entwine.
                      Characters are old friends.

                      Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Donaldson. Love the Land. Enjoy Donaldson's
                      writing style (always have to have a dictionary to hand).

                      Pern series - McCaffrey Love the talking dragons!

                      Earthsea Le Guin. Love Ged. Did NOT like the series end.

                      Cheers,
                      Peta

                      Whoops - left out Lord of the Rings!

                      Whoops left out lots of other favs!

                      > On the assumption that we all like to talk fantasy literature when we
                      > aren't reading fantasy literature, I'll throw the following to the group:
                      >
                      > Give me your top five fantasy series/novels (Lord of the Rings counts
                      > as one entry). Bonus points if you can identify why the series/novel
                      > appeals to you so much.
                      >
                      > Here's hoping we don't all agree...that would be boring.
                      >
                      > Shep

                      > --
                      > 5:59 PM

                    • craig herbertson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                        That's the nice thing about these threads. Reminded me that Watership Down would definitely be battling for a place - Leguin's Earthsea series was also rather good.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                          At the moment my top books or series would be

                          "Hunters" duolopy and "The Sunsword Series" by Michelle West. Michelle has created a world rich with unique characters and history. Her books are not to everybodies taste but I always come back to them.

                          "The Hammer of Darkness" by LE Modesitt Jr. I first read this book in my early teens and have reread it many times since. The underlying theme of power or use of power is to me one of the strenghts of the novel.

                          "The Malazan Empire - Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson. So far 8 out of the 10 planned novels have been released. The quality of the novels do range from poor to very good however overall I have enjoyed them very much. There is a huge cast of characters but the world building with the many different cultures and history is the main appeal to me.

                          "The Black Jewel" trilogy by Anne Bishop at times makes me laugh out loud and at other times grind my teeth.

                          "A Song for Arbonne" by Guy Gavriel Kay is probably my favourite of the novels written by Kay. His use of language and the images he describes made this a book I could not put down.

                          Other honourable mentions are

                          The early novels in the "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan
                          "The Lies of Locke Lamore" by Scott Lynch
                          "Rhapsody" by Elizabeth Haydon
                          "The Coldfire Trology" by CS Friedman
                          "Master of Whitestone" by Janny Wurts as well as "The Empire" trilogy in conjunction with Raymond Friest.
                          "The Riddlemaster Trilogy" by Patricia McKillip.

                          Dale

                          > On the assumption that we all like to talk fantasy
                          > literature when we
                          > aren't reading fantasy literature, I'll throw the
                          > following to the group:
                          >
                          > Give me your top five fantasy series/novels (Lord of the
                          > Rings counts
                          > as one entry). Bonus points if you can identify why the
                          > series/novel
                          > appeals to you so much.
                          >
                          > Here's hoping we don't all agree...that would be
                          > boring.
                          >
                          > Shep

                          Easy recipes for Christmas entertaining on Yahoo!Xtra Lifestyle- http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-recipes
                        • craig herbertson
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                            Conan good! Just finished the Wordsworth edition of solomon kane by Howard - absolutely fantastic. Very dark - no silly elves.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                              1. LOTR - Sweeping majesty combined with regular everyday folks, even
                              if they are hobbits.
                              "The Riddlemaster Trilogy" by Patricia McKillip
                              The Earthsea books by LeGuinn,
                              The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. The land and it's people are
                              just wonderful to read about.
                              The Last Herald Mage series by Mercedes Lackey. Good characters and an
                              interesting society. Written before Lackey got carried away.
                              FrankT
                            • Sharon
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                <<<The Last Herald Mage series by Mercedes Lackey. Good characters and an
                                interesting society. Written before Lackey got carried away. FrankT >>>

                                I liked this series as well, although I have to admit my judgement on books with horses can be less than discriminating. I have recently read the first of her new "Herald Mage" series ... Foundation ... and really liked it. Am hoping the others in this new series will be as good. Have you read it?

                                Sharon in KY
                                Kaleidoscope Farm

                              • ethiercn@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  I know. I am reading the other posts and going "how could I forget about".
                                  Like I said, it depends upon the day.

                                  Chris

                                  In a message dated 1/8/2009 1:20:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  craigherbertson@... writes:

                                  That's the nice thing about these threads. Reminded me that Watership Down
                                  would definitely be battling for a place - Leguin's Earthsea series was also
                                  rather good.

                                  Craig

                                • Ruth Arnell
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                    The interesting thing to me about these lists is seeing books I love and books I hate on the same person's list.

                                    My top five, at least today, because they change depending on mood.

                                    The Deed of Paksennarion cycle by Elizabeth Moon. Great high fantasy, but dark and realistic (or as realistic as you make fantasy) as well. Moon's military training shows in this one.
                                    The early Valdemar books by Lackey. I like how one other poster described it as before she got carried away. If I had to pick one, the one I typically go back to is By the Sword, which is Kerowyn's story. Listing that one after Paks, I'm starting to see a theme here.
                                    Charles deLint's Newford Chronicles. His collected short stories set in Newford. Urban fantasy that is amazing to me. Some of his longer fiction for me is hit or miss, but I always love his short stories. My other urban fantasy selection would have to have been War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. I saw that on another poster's list, so I won't go into more detail here.
                                    CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy. The best antagonist I have ever read in all of fiction. Not just fantasy. An amazingly realized world, with incredible culture and detail. This trilogy is the reason I am willing to buy her work in hardback.
                                    Lorna Freeman's Borderland's books. The first one is the best debut novel I have ever read, I think. Humorous, witty, interesting characters and clashes between cultures. Book two was also good. The third book has had problems with the publishers, and I don't know if we'll ever see it, but I hope so.

                                    And I don't know if Lee and Miller's Liaden books count as fantasy either, but I had to agree with the other poster who listed them. They are great fun to read. Ever since they first time I read them I have wanted to meet one of the turtles.

                                    Ruth

                                  • Kat Hooper
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                      I find it interesting that a few of you have mentioned the early Lackey
                                      books.

                                      I've tried some of her recent stuff (The Enduring Flame, reviewed here:
                                      http://www.fantasyliterature.net/lackeymercedes.html) and found it rather
                                      standard at best and at some points actually dull and angsty. So I wrote her
                                      off.

                                      Do I need to go back and try the early stuff?

                                      Kat

                                      www.FanLit.net

                                    • Bill B.
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                        At 10:20 PM -0800 1/7/09, craig herbertson wrote:
                                        >That's the nice thing about these threads. Reminded me that Watership Down would definitely be battling for a place - Leguin's Earthsea series was also rather good.

                                        I agree. Now I have a bunch of books to find and re-read or new worlds to explore!

                                        Bill B.
                                      • ethiercn@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                          The Last Herald Mage Triolgy is great. And ground-breaking at the time it
                                          was put out because of the main character's sexuality.

                                          Chris

                                          In a message dated 1/8/2009 10:50:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                          Kat@... writes:

                                          Do I need to go back and try the early stuff?

                                          Kat

                                          steps!
                                          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215047751x1200957972/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
                                          cemailfooterNO62)

                                        • Denise Frangos
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                            Hi, just wanted to put in my two cents.

                                            1. Avalon series, Marion Zimmer Bradley. My first- who can forget
                                            their first. Loved the feminist twist on the stories of King Arthur.

                                            2. Wayfarer Redemption series, Sara Douglass. I liked the clean,
                                            crisp style of writing- very staight forward. I also loved the 2
                                            herorines in the story- both very different from each other and yet
                                            valuable.

                                            3. Symphony of Ages, Elizabeth Haydon. I loved the romance of this
                                            story- very sweet.

                                            4. Crown of Stars, Kate Elliot. The complexity in this story is
                                            almost too much to take in. One day I will get it. But the action is
                                            great.

                                            5. Sword of Shadows, J.V. Jones. This book is total escapism. The
                                            level of description is incredible in this book. I also loved the the
                                            development of characters- they are so complex and deep.
                                          • William C. Garthright
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                              > I know. I am reading the other posts and going "how could I forget about".

                                              Heh, heh. That's exactly what I was thinking as I read those posts,
                                              Chris. Maybe it would have been smarter to wait until everyone else
                                              posted before I chimed in.

                                              Then again, I would have had a harder time deciding between the bigger
                                              selection of books, no doubt.

                                              :-)

                                              A theory is what a law wants to be when it grows up. - Eugenie Scott
                                            • Frank T
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 10, 2009
                                                I didn't even know it was written.
                                                FrankT
                                                --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <sportpony@...> wrote:

                                                > <<<The Last Herald Mage series by Mercedes Lackey. Good characters
                                                and an
                                                > interesting society. Written before Lackey got carried away. FrankT
                                                >>>

                                                > I liked this series as well, although I have to admit my judgement on
                                                books with horses can be less than discriminating. I have recently read
                                                the first of her new "Herald Mage" series ... Foundation ... and really
                                                liked it. Am hoping the others in this new series will be as good. Have
                                                you read it?

                                                > Sharon in KY
                                                > Kaleidoscope Farm

                                              • Mervi
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 10, 2009
                                                  My current top 5 is:

                                                  Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust. I like the humor and for some
                                                  reason I quite like the insane and arrogant Dragaerans.
                                                  The Sandman comic book series by Neil Gaiman. Fully of mythological
                                                  and literary references as well as interesting characters.
                                                  The ElfQuest comic book series by Wendy and Richard Pini. I love the
                                                  art style and I love the elven characters even more.
                                                  Age of Unreason series by Gregory Keyes. Alternate history, religion,
                                                  steampunk, and magic.
                                                  The Shadow series by Anne Logston. Short books about elven thief.

                                                  Honorary mentions to Jacqueline Carey, Brandon Sanderson, Robin
                                                  McKinley, Diana Wynne Jones, and Patricia McKillip.

                                                  Mervi
                                                • Frank T
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 11, 2009
                                                    The Sandman comic books and Elfquest are great graphic novels. If
                                                    you are a fan of graphic novels I'd highly recommend the 100 Bullets
                                                    series.
                                                    FrankT--- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Mervi"