Re: [Fantasy_Books] Hello All...New to Group

  • William C. Garthright
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2008
      Welcome to the group, Jim.

      I don't read a lot of fantasy - new fantasy, anyway - but I always like
      to talk about books. These days, I spend too much time on the Internet
      to read as much as I used to. And when I do read, it's usually to
      re-read books that I already own.

      The past week or so, I've been re-reading the Liaden series by Sharon
      Lee and Steve Miller. They are... um, romantic space opera, I guess,
      with some fantasy elements (psychic powers). Well, I like
      character-based fiction, and I guess I'm a sucker for romance (at least,
      in my science fiction and fantasy).

      And right now, I'm re-reading Joy Chant's fantasy, "Red Moon and Black
      Mountain" (1971). I have to admit, I don't remember a bit of it. But
      that's not surprising, since I forget most books I read after awhile. I
      should stop buying books entirely, and just re-read my collection. Long
      before I got to the end, I'd have forgotten the first again, so I could
      keep up the rotation permanently. But I have a hard time keeping myself
      from buying more, especially when I find them used.

      Good to have you with us.

      It's a sad fact that 50 percent of marriages in this country end in
      divorce. But hey, the other half end in death. You could be one of the
      lucky ones! - Richard Jeni
    • jamesfhenry
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
        Thanks for the welcome note Bill, and sorry for the belated response -
        between the holidays and trying to finish the first draft of my
        latest novel, I haven't been spending much time online lately.

        I agree with you about re-reading books. I tend to have a pretty good
        memory for plot details, but every time I read a book I find some
        detail that I either forgot about or just plain missed the first
        time. That's particularly the case with the Harry Potter books,
        because whenever Rowling published a new one, I tended to read it
        from start to finish. It usually took about a day to do. Then I would
        re-read it at a slower pace.

        By the way, I had a good chuckle over the Richard Jeni quote at the
        bottom of your post. T'is true!

        Jim

        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Garthright"
        <billg@...> wrote:

        > Welcome to the group, Jim.
        >
        > I don't read a lot of fantasy - new fantasy, anyway - but I always
        like
        > to talk about books. These days, I spend too much time on the
        Internet
        > to read as much as I used to. And when I do read, it's usually to
        > re-read books that I already own.
        >
        > The past week or so, I've been re-reading the Liaden series by
        Sharon
        > Lee and Steve Miller. They are... um, romantic space opera, I
        guess,
        > with some fantasy elements (psychic powers). Well, I like
        > character-based fiction, and I guess I'm a sucker for romance (at
        least,
        > in my science fiction and fantasy).
        >
        > And right now, I'm re-reading Joy Chant's fantasy, "Red Moon and
        Black
        > Mountain" (1971). I have to admit, I don't remember a bit of it.
        But
        > that's not surprising, since I forget most books I read after
        awhile. I
        > should stop buying books entirely, and just re-read my collection.
        Long
        > before I got to the end, I'd have forgotten the first again, so I
        could
        > keep up the rotation permanently. But I have a hard time keeping
        myself
        > from buying more, especially when I find them used.
        >
        > Good to have you with us.
        >
        > Bill
        >
        > --
        > It's a sad fact that 50 percent of marriages in this country end in
        > divorce. But hey, the other half end in death. You could be one of
        the
        > lucky ones! - Richard Jeni

      • jamesfhenry
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
          Thanks Gloria. Nice to be here.

          Jim Henry

          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Oliver <gioliver@...>
          wrote:

          > Well however it happened, welcome aboard!
          >
          > Gloria Oliver
          > Unveiling the Fantastic
          > www.gloriaoliver.com
          >

          > jamesfhenry wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi!
          > >
          > > I learned of this group when someone named Steve S. sent me an
          > > invitation to become friends on Grouply, saying we had this list
          in
          > > common. Curiously, when I checked my list of groups, this wasn't
          one
          > > of them. I've also had no luck adding Steve S. as a friend on
          > > grouply, as there was not a request for friends in my list of
          > > requests.
          > >
          > > So if you're Steve S. and you read this, just know I'm trying!
          > >
          > > Any way, this is a natural group for me to join because I am both
          > > fantasy reader and writer. I have one completed novel
          > > titled "Antiquity Calais: Standing at Armageddon" which I am
          shopping
          > > to publishers as we speak. I also recently participated in the
          > > NaNoWriMo contest in the month of November, and succeeded in
          writing
          > > 50,000 words during the month, which was the target. The book was
          > > still not finished, even a first draft, but I continue to work on
          > > that, and am hopeful that will be ready by spring. That book is
          the
          > > second book in the Universal Life Force Series, titled "Antiquity
          > > Calais Ascending Olympus."
          > >
          > > So that's what is new and exciting in my life. I'm looking
          forward to
          > > getting to know all of you.
          > >
          > > Jim Henry

        • jamesfhenry
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
            I've heard that, but so far all the mail I've gotten from them has
            ended up in my spam folder, so it's not that bigadeal.

            Jim

            --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, craig herbertson

            5414884craigherbertson.com           contact@...

          • craig herbertson