Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: This month I have been mostly readin'...

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
      << Anybody else read anything worth mentioning
      > lately? - Leigh >>>

      Since the third of the Bujold "Sharing Knife" I've been in a real reading slump. However I picked up the newest Mercedes Lackey book "Foundation" ... apparantly the first of a new "Companions" series ... and sat up until waaay past my usual bedtime so I could finish it.

      I liked her other series in this world, I mean let's face it, a horse person is going to like telepathic horses with human level intelligence, though I think this may be my favorite of any of them so far ...

      Sharon in KY

    • kara fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
        Hi, I was just wondering who the author of "Path of Fury" is so that I can read his/her books. Thanks

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
          The author of "Path of the Fury" is David Weber. He's a very prolific author and I've liked a lot of his books ... have a lot of them on my personal bookshelves that I enjoy re-reading.

          His "Honor Harrington" series is probably his best known series. I have all of the early Harrington books ... they are great and read something like "Path". I also particularly liked "The Apocolypse Troll", a stand alone and the "Mutineer's Moon" trilogy.

          He does have a strong tendency to get carried away with political involvement, especially noticeable in the last few years and while I did read the last two of the Harrington books, just to more or less finish out the "story" ... I don't own them.

          Sharon in KY

        • William C. Garthright
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
            > His "Honor Harrington" series is probably his best known series. I have all of the early Harrington books ...
            >
            > He does have a strong tendency to get carried away with political involvement, especially noticeable in the last few years

            I agree, Sharon. I enjoyed David Weber's first two Honor Harrington
            books, though they followed the now-standard pattern of C. S. Forester's
            Horatio Hornblower (except for being set in space), always ending with
            the usual climactic battle against overwhelming odds. But they were
            enjoyable, if you didn't take them too seriously.

            As the series went on, though, they got increasingly talky, and
            heavy-handed into politics, though I kept reading for awhile. Later, he
            started writing similar books, set in the same universe, but with
            different characters. "The Shadow of Saganimi" was pretty good, I
            thought, though it followed the standard space navy formula exactly. But
            I couldn't believe how bad "Crown of Slaves" was (though it was
            co-authored by Eric Flint, who's one of my favorite authors). Too much
            talk, and ridiculous characters!

            I've enjoyed other David Weber books, including his collaborations with
            Steve White ("Insurrection," "Crusade," etc.), which are more space navy
            warfare books (again, they're all alike, but they're exciting enough)
            and others with Eric Flint in Flint's "1632" series. I've also got his
            1995 fantasy, "Oath of Swords," but I must admit that I don't really
            remember it.

            There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its
            people became too reasonable. - Sam Harris
          • Sharon
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 12, 2008
              <<<But I couldn't believe how bad "Crown of Slaves" was (though it was
              co-authored by Eric Flint, who's one of my favorite authors). Too much
              talk, and ridiculous characters! Bill >>>>

              Eric Flint is one of my favorite authors too ... I have re-read "Mother of Demons" I don't know how many times and same for the first two books in the 1832 series. The first book ... by Eric Flint only, is just a great fun read. The second, co-authored with David Weber, gets a lot more involved with history and politics ... you can sure see the Weber influence. After that, for me, unfortunately, it was all downhill. The last two I picked up at the library in the hopes that it might improve again I don't think I even finished. Too many people, too much history, too much politics ... and while I can handle some of that if the characters are really great, since I insist on character-driven books for the most part ... a couple of the co-authors he's using with this series don't seem to be able to do characters well.

              Oh, well ...

              Sharon

            • William C. Garthright
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 13, 2008
                > Eric Flint is one of my favorite authors too ... I have re-read "Mother of Demons" I don't know how many times and same for the first two books in the 1632 series.

                Yes, Sharon, same here. I've re-read "Mother of Demons" many times. And
                the "1632" series as well. At his best, Eric Flint writes entertaining
                stories with wonderful characters. His fiction is always optimistic, and
                his characters aren't supermen, but they're very capable and
                unrealistically decent. That doesn't bother me, though. I guess I'm just
                a sucker for that kind of thing.

                However, Flint has become VERY prolific. He seems to have any number of
                books he's writing at the same time, often with various co-authors. And
                unfortunately, the quality is getting pretty uneven. I think he needs to
                slow down.

                If you haven't read them, you might want to try his Rivers of War
                series: "1812: The Rivers of War" and "1824: The Arkansas War." They are
                alternate history which start from a single small event. In this
                history, unlike our own, the young Sam Houston escapes serious injury in
                the War of 1812, and that leads to many eventual consequences, such as
                the Trail of Tears migration of the Cherokee being taken voluntarily,
                along with free blacks, to form their own homeland in Arkansas and
                Oklahoma. I think it's fascinating.

                I also like "Rats, Bats, and Vats" (2000) and the sequel, "The Rats, the
                Bats, and the Ugly" (2004), both with Dave Freer. I actually like the
                sequel the best, but they're both hilarious and exciting. (The romance
                between the man, Fitzhugh, and his chocolate-craving rat, Ariel, is
                great!) And I enjoyed "The Shadow of the Lion" (2002) and its sequels,
                written with Mercedes Lackey and Dave Freer. Those are historical
                fantasies, set in a 16th Century Venice with magic and gods.

                I like Flint enough that I've been buying every book he writes, but I've
                been disappointed often enough, too (especially lately). I just think
                he's got too much on his plate these days.

                Bill

                PS. Another thing I like about Eric Flint is his work with the Baen Free
                Library (http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm). He's got a
                large number of his own books there, free to download, including most of
                those mentioned above. I want to own the books I like, but it's sure
                nice to be able to try them first!

                --
                A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
                foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 14, 2008
                  <<<At his best, Eric Flint writes entertaining stories with wonderful characters. His fiction is always optimistic, and
                  his characters aren't supermen, but they're very capable and unrealistically decent. That doesn't bother me, though. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing.>>>

                  I read for entertainment and that is what I enjoy reading ... good story with great characters and DECENT characters. My other 'favorite' genre is mystery and I've really gotten disgusted with all of the "dysfunctional" characters there ... I mean, a serial killer cop as a HERO? Sorry ... doesn't work for me.

                  <<<However, Flint has become VERY prolific. He seems to have any number of books he's writing at the same time, often with various co-authors. And unfortunately, the quality is getting pretty uneven. I think he needs to slow down. >>>

                  That seems to have happened with several of the very popular authors ... other than Flint, David Weber and Anne McCaffrey come to mind. And it is often these co-authored books that end up losing me as a "buy it as soon as it comes out whether I've read it or not" customer.

                  I'm not sure just why it happens (money maybe?) but other authors, that I like just as well, seem to have managed to avoid that. I sometimes wish they would write faster, but seems like for most people one, possibly two, books per year seems to be the practical limit.

                  I'll see what else the library may have by Flint and try a couple of the other series if they have them.

                  Sharon

                • William C. Garthright
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 14, 2008
                    > My other 'favorite' genre is mystery and I've really gotten disgusted with all of the "dysfunctional" characters there ... I mean, a serial killer cop as a HERO? Sorry ... doesn't work for me.

                    Me, neither. I like mysteries, but I HAVE to like the characters - I
                    mean, really like them. Most mysteries don't do much for me. I prefer
                    the old-fashioned kind of British mysteries like Agatha Christie and
                    Dorothy Sayers. Right now, my favorite author is Reginald Hill. I've
                    gotten hooked on his Dalziel and Pascoe series.

                    Oddly enough, though, I don't think I would have liked them much if I
                    hadn't seen the first one, "A Clubbable Woman," on TV. That gave me a
                    clear idea of the characters, which I don't think the book alone would
                    have done. As I continued to read the series, though, I got to know the
                    characters better and better (and he kept adding characters here and
                    there, as the series continued).

                    I like Sharyn McCrumb's Appalachian mysteries, too, though I don't
                    usually like fantasy elements (ghosts, etc.) in mysteries. I haven't
                    read her most recent books, though.

                    So, Sharon, what mystery authors do you like? Our tastes seem to be
                    similar, and I don't read enough mysteries to be very familiar with them.

                    > I sometimes wish they would write faster, but seems like for most people one, possibly two, books per year seems to be the practical limit.

                    And then, some authors don't write nearly fast enough. Connie Willis,
                    for example, is one of my very favorite authors, but I sure wish she'd
                    write more!

                    Heh! I guess I'm never satisfied, huh?

                    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to
                    continue that counts. - Winston Churchill