Re: This month I have been mostly readin'...

  • Phoebe Matthews
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
      This week I finished Lilith Saintcrow's "Night Shift" first book in her new Jill Kismit series,
      and now I'm reading the second, "Hunter's Prayer." I liked the first one, but I think the
      second is better as the characters become more alive. Pace is always fast. (Mudflat series
      - http://phoebematthews.com)
      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L." <leighlo@...> wrote:

      > Just a few thoughts on recent reads to try to spur a bit of life back
      > into the list and outweigh the spam messages :)
      >
      > The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
      > Multiple recommendations on this list swayed me into reading this,
      > and I found it... good, but not great. The past/present structure is
      > interesting, the dialogue classy and the setting beautifully
      > realised, but the plot drags almost unbearably for the first few
      > chapters and doesn't really pick up until the halfway point when the
      > Grey King is introduced. It's also a bit implausible just how much
      > punishment Lynch's characters can take and keep on fightin'. Still,
      > it did get me invested enough by the end to care about the sequel.
      >
      > Odd and the Frost Giants - Neil Gaiman
      > Very brief novel (more of a short story) written for World Book Day.
      > It's a lighthearted take on Norse legend with the feel of a parable
      > or fable, though I'm not sure what exactly the message was. Beyond
      > that there's nothing particularly bad about the execution, although
      > the length doesn't allow for any real depth of plot or character, or
      > for the unmistakable Gaiman magic to shine through.
      >
      > Infernal Devices - Philip Reeve
      > Third in the sequence that began with Mortal Engines, and sadly not a
      > patch on either that or the second book, Predator's Gold. Reeve seems
      > to have lost interest in both the story and the readers to the point
      > where he's either sidelining or actively demonising his previous
      > characters, and the new ones just don't match up. It didn't feel like
      > he enjoyed writing this at all, and the feeling can't help but rub
      > off after a while. Still, maybe it's all a big setup and everything
      > that felt wrong about this volume is neatly resolved in the final
      > book...?
      >
      > Any counter-opinions? Anybody else read anything worth mentioning
      > lately?
      >
      > - Leigh

    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
        << Anybody else read anything worth mentioning
        > lately? - Leigh >>>

        Since the third of the Bujold "Sharing Knife" I've been in a real reading slump. However I picked up the newest Mercedes Lackey book "Foundation" ... apparantly the first of a new "Companions" series ... and sat up until waaay past my usual bedtime so I could finish it.

        I liked her other series in this world, I mean let's face it, a horse person is going to like telepathic horses with human level intelligence, though I think this may be my favorite of any of them so far ...

        Sharon in KY

      • kara fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
          Hi, I was just wondering who the author of "Path of Fury" is so that I can read his/her books. Thanks

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
            The author of "Path of the Fury" is David Weber. He's a very prolific author and I've liked a lot of his books ... have a lot of them on my personal bookshelves that I enjoy re-reading.

            His "Honor Harrington" series is probably his best known series. I have all of the early Harrington books ... they are great and read something like "Path". I also particularly liked "The Apocolypse Troll", a stand alone and the "Mutineer's Moon" trilogy.

            He does have a strong tendency to get carried away with political involvement, especially noticeable in the last few years and while I did read the last two of the Harrington books, just to more or less finish out the "story" ... I don't own them.

            Sharon in KY

          • William C. Garthright
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
              > His "Honor Harrington" series is probably his best known series. I have all of the early Harrington books ...
              >
              > He does have a strong tendency to get carried away with political involvement, especially noticeable in the last few years

              I agree, Sharon. I enjoyed David Weber's first two Honor Harrington
              books, though they followed the now-standard pattern of C. S. Forester's
              Horatio Hornblower (except for being set in space), always ending with
              the usual climactic battle against overwhelming odds. But they were
              enjoyable, if you didn't take them too seriously.

              As the series went on, though, they got increasingly talky, and
              heavy-handed into politics, though I kept reading for awhile. Later, he
              started writing similar books, set in the same universe, but with
              different characters. "The Shadow of Saganimi" was pretty good, I
              thought, though it followed the standard space navy formula exactly. But
              I couldn't believe how bad "Crown of Slaves" was (though it was
              co-authored by Eric Flint, who's one of my favorite authors). Too much
              talk, and ridiculous characters!

              I've enjoyed other David Weber books, including his collaborations with
              Steve White ("Insurrection," "Crusade," etc.), which are more space navy
              warfare books (again, they're all alike, but they're exciting enough)
              and others with Eric Flint in Flint's "1632" series. I've also got his
              1995 fantasy, "Oath of Swords," but I must admit that I don't really
              remember it.

              There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its
              people became too reasonable. - Sam Harris
            • Sharon
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 12, 2008
                <<<But I couldn't believe how bad "Crown of Slaves" was (though it was
                co-authored by Eric Flint, who's one of my favorite authors). Too much
                talk, and ridiculous characters! Bill >>>>

                Eric Flint is one of my favorite authors too ... I have re-read "Mother of Demons" I don't know how many times and same for the first two books in the 1832 series. The first book ... by Eric Flint only, is just a great fun read. The second, co-authored with David Weber, gets a lot more involved with history and politics ... you can sure see the Weber influence. After that, for me, unfortunately, it was all downhill. The last two I picked up at the library in the hopes that it might improve again I don't think I even finished. Too many people, too much history, too much politics ... and while I can handle some of that if the characters are really great, since I insist on character-driven books for the most part ... a couple of the co-authors he's using with this series don't seem to be able to do characters well.

                Oh, well ...

                Sharon

              • William C. Garthright
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 13, 2008
                  > Eric Flint is one of my favorite authors too ... I have re-read "Mother of Demons" I don't know how many times and same for the first two books in the 1632 series.

                  Yes, Sharon, same here. I've re-read "Mother of Demons" many times. And
                  the "1632" series as well. At his best, Eric Flint writes entertaining
                  stories with wonderful characters. His fiction is always optimistic, and
                  his characters aren't supermen, but they're very capable and
                  unrealistically decent. That doesn't bother me, though. I guess I'm just
                  a sucker for that kind of thing.

                  However, Flint has become VERY prolific. He seems to have any number of
                  books he's writing at the same time, often with various co-authors. And
                  unfortunately, the quality is getting pretty uneven. I think he needs to
                  slow down.

                  If you haven't read them, you might want to try his Rivers of War
                  series: "1812: The Rivers of War" and "1824: The Arkansas War." They are
                  alternate history which start from a single small event. In this
                  history, unlike our own, the young Sam Houston escapes serious injury in
                  the War of 1812, and that leads to many eventual consequences, such as
                  the Trail of Tears migration of the Cherokee being taken voluntarily,
                  along with free blacks, to form their own homeland in Arkansas and
                  Oklahoma. I think it's fascinating.

                  I also like "Rats, Bats, and Vats" (2000) and the sequel, "The Rats, the
                  Bats, and the Ugly" (2004), both with Dave Freer. I actually like the
                  sequel the best, but they're both hilarious and exciting. (The romance
                  between the man, Fitzhugh, and his chocolate-craving rat, Ariel, is
                  great!) And I enjoyed "The Shadow of the Lion" (2002) and its sequels,
                  written with Mercedes Lackey and Dave Freer. Those are historical
                  fantasies, set in a 16th Century Venice with magic and gods.

                  I like Flint enough that I've been buying every book he writes, but I've
                  been disappointed often enough, too (especially lately). I just think
                  he's got too much on his plate these days.

                  Bill

                  PS. Another thing I like about Eric Flint is his work with the Baen Free
                  Library (http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm). He's got a
                  large number of his own books there, free to download, including most of
                  those mentioned above. I want to own the books I like, but it's sure
                  nice to be able to try them first!

                  --
                  A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
                  foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 14, 2008
                    <<<At his best, Eric Flint writes entertaining stories with wonderful characters. His fiction is always optimistic, and
                    his characters aren't supermen, but they're very capable and unrealistically decent. That doesn't bother me, though. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing.>>>

                    I read for entertainment and that is what I enjoy reading ... good story with great characters and DECENT characters. My other 'favorite' genre is mystery and I've really gotten disgusted with all of the "dysfunctional" characters there ... I mean, a serial killer cop as a HERO? Sorry ... doesn't work for me.

                    <<<However, Flint has become VERY prolific. He seems to have any number of books he's writing at the same time, often with various co-authors. And unfortunately, the quality is getting pretty uneven. I think he needs to slow down. >>>

                    That seems to have happened with several of the very popular authors ... other than Flint, David Weber and Anne McCaffrey come to mind. And it is often these co-authored books that end up losing me as a "buy it as soon as it comes out whether I've read it or not" customer.

                    I'm not sure just why it happens (money maybe?) but other authors, that I like just as well, seem to have managed to avoid that. I sometimes wish they would write faster, but seems like for most people one, possibly two, books per year seems to be the practical limit.

                    I'll see what else the library may have by Flint and try a couple of the other series if they have them.

                    Sharon

                  • William C. Garthright
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 14, 2008
                      > My other 'favorite' genre is mystery and I've really gotten disgusted with all of the "dysfunctional" characters there ... I mean, a serial killer cop as a HERO? Sorry ... doesn't work for me.

                      Me, neither. I like mysteries, but I HAVE to like the characters - I
                      mean, really like them. Most mysteries don't do much for me. I prefer
                      the old-fashioned kind of British mysteries like Agatha Christie and
                      Dorothy Sayers. Right now, my favorite author is Reginald Hill. I've
                      gotten hooked on his Dalziel and Pascoe series.

                      Oddly enough, though, I don't think I would have liked them much if I
                      hadn't seen the first one, "A Clubbable Woman," on TV. That gave me a
                      clear idea of the characters, which I don't think the book alone would
                      have done. As I continued to read the series, though, I got to know the
                      characters better and better (and he kept adding characters here and
                      there, as the series continued).

                      I like Sharyn McCrumb's Appalachian mysteries, too, though I don't
                      usually like fantasy elements (ghosts, etc.) in mysteries. I haven't
                      read her most recent books, though.

                      So, Sharon, what mystery authors do you like? Our tastes seem to be
                      similar, and I don't read enough mysteries to be very familiar with them.

                      > I sometimes wish they would write faster, but seems like for most people one, possibly two, books per year seems to be the practical limit.

                      And then, some authors don't write nearly fast enough. Connie Willis,
                      for example, is one of my very favorite authors, but I sure wish she'd
                      write more!

                      Heh! I guess I'm never satisfied, huh?

                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to
                      continue that counts. - Winston Churchill