Re: [Fantasy_Books] fantasy books

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 15 , May 11, 2008
      <<<Hi can anyone on this list suggest any great fantasy serieses for me to read thanks.
      jamie >>>

      What have you read that you like? There are so many different types of fantasy series it's hard to recommend something unless we've some idea of what you've already read and liked ... or haven't liked.

      Sharon

    • Dawn
      Message 2 of 15 , May 11, 2008
        Esther Friesner has a new(er) book out called "Temping Fate" that is quite a nice little urban fantasy. It is different enough from what's already out there that I was greatly entertained. The premise is of a Temp Agency giving jobs to young humans -- the catch is that the jobs are for the gods and other assorted immortals. Our heroine in this book is given a job with The Fates. Can't say much more without giving everything away :)

        Anyway, this was a quick read and, like I said, rather entertaining. Not a whole lot of thinking goes into the reading of it, but that's fine for a rainy Saturday.

        Dawn

        Witches are not by nature gregarious, at least with other witches, and they certainly don't have leaders. Granny Weatherwax was the most highly regarded of the leaders they didn't have. Terry Pratchett, "The Wyrd Sisters"

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • jamie coady
        Message 3 of 15 , May 11, 2008
          Hi I have read books by Robert Jordan, George r r Martin, Terry Goodkind and others.
          jamie

          Message 4 of 15 , May 11, 2008
            <<< Hi I have read books by Robert Jordan, George r r Martin, Terry Goodkind and others. jamie >>>

            Sounds like we have quite different tastes in authors so I suspect the ones I would recommend might not be something you'd like all that well. You might try the first Spellsong series by Modesitt ... I did like those, but I know people who like Robert Jordan who have also liked Modesitt.

            If you like dragons, at all, there are, of course the Anne McCaffrey *Pern* series ... plus Mercedes Lackey's *Aerie* series and most recently, Naomi Novik's series about the "King's Dragon" ...

            Sharon

          • jamie coady
            Message 5 of 15 , May 11, 2008
              Hi yes i will try them but i am willing to try anything in fantasy as long as it is good smile.
              jamie

              Message 6 of 15 , May 11, 2008
                Some of my favourites are:

                George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
                Katharine Kerr's Deveryy series
                Raymond Feist's Magician
                Anne McCaffrey's Pern series
                Jordan's Wheel of Time series
                Feist and Wurts Empire series
                Stephen King's The Dark Tower
                Ordson Scott Card's Alvin Maker
                Tad Williams Memory Sorrow and Thorn

                Cheers, Peta

                Message 7 of 15 , May 11, 2008
                  hi thanks for these.
                  jamie

                  > Hi can anyone on this list suggest any great fantasy serieses for me to
                  > read thanks.
                  > jamie

                • john oliver
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 11, 2008
                    Anything by Rachel Caine, Martha Wells, Tad Williams, Piers Anthony, George RR Martin, CJ Charryh, Barbara Hambly, etc etc etc.  If you want one shots, you could always check out mine.
                     Gloria Oliver
                    www.gloriaoliver.com
                    Unveiling the Fantastic

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 11, 2008
                      thanks!
                      jamie

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 11, 2008
                        can anyone send me some of these books offline or online
                        jamie

                        > Hi can anyone on this list suggest any great fantasy serieses for me to
                        > read thanks.
                        > jamie

                      • Dale Jory
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 12, 2008
                          Hi

                          Other series that you may enjoy are

                          The Green Rider Series by Kristen Britain
                          The Sunsword Series by Michelle West
                          Any books by Guy Gaverial Kay
                          The Kingdom of Thorn & Bone series by Greg Keyes

                          Dale

                          --- jamie coady <darklordjamie@...> wrote:

                          > Hi I have read books by Robert Jordan, George r r
                          > Martin, Terry Goodkind and others.
                          > jamie

                        • William C. Garthright
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 12, 2008
                            > can anyone send me some of these books offline or online

                            Those are still under copyright, you know. If you want free books
                            (legally), try http://freesfonline.de/ . That's a huge list of free
                            speculative fiction (SF and fantasy), available because many authors and
                            publishers have been freely posting some of their works (to build
                            interest in their other books). Of course, there's always your local
                            library, too. But book-lovers are the last people who'd want to steal an
                            author's work, I'd think.

                            Also, note that preferences vary. I've seen suggested here some books I
                            really liked and some I didn't (and quite a few I haven't read). I think
                            my favorite fantasy, right now, is Lois McMaster Bujold's *The Curse of
                            Chalion*. But I really like her writing.

                            Some of the series mentioned here - and some of the individual books -
                            are very long. I lost interest in Anne McCaffrey's Pern books long
                            before she stopped writing them, but you really do need to read the
                            first one, *Dragonflight*. Trust me, you'll love it. I'd also recommend
                            *Dragon Bones* by Patricia Briggs. She's a newer author, but I've
                            enjoyed everything she's written.

                            But there's a lot of good fantasy out there.

                            Closed-minded people are the ones who suggest things like, "You might
                            want to cook that before you eat that," "Does this really work?" and
                            "Lock your car doors." We're sort of like the weights in hot air
                            balloons. We keep people who are dumb enough to get into a hot air
                            balloon from flying into harm's way. - Jim Cook
                          • Katherine Hooper
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 12, 2008
                              Well said, Bill. Also, I'll recommend paperbackswap.com as a source for
                              trading paperbacks. And books in the public domain are available at places
                              like Project Gutenberg and other public domain sites. Some are on audiobook
                              (links and a few public domain fantasies are mentioned here:
                              http://www.fantasyliterature.net/zzaudiobooks.html).

                              At the FanLit.net forum we have a free ebook by Jon F Baxley which is
                              downloadable by forum members with his permission. He does this for
                              promotion purposes - hoping you'll like the first one and purchase the next
                              two when they are published: http://www.fantasyliterature.net/forum/ It's
                              in pdf format. We also have some new authors' work on the website.

                              I completely agree with Bill (as usual) about the Chalion series. It's one
                              of the best I've read. I also recommend Robin Hobb's Farseer Saga and Tad
                              William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (many of us have recommended that one!)
                              because they seem to be universally liked.

                              Kat
                              www.FantasyLiterature.net
                              www.FanLit.net

                              _____

                              (legally), try http://freesfonline <http://freesfonline.de/> .de/ . That's a

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 12, 2008
                                thanks for these so far i have not managed to get my hands on any of the books suggested.
                                thanks jamie