Re: [Fantasy_Books] The Winds of Marble Arch

  • anduril
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29 10:48 PM
      i love star wars but did not when i was yunger.
      jamie

      From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@...>
      To: "ClassicScienceFiction Yahoo Group"
      <ClassicScienceFiction@yahoogroups.com>; "Fantasy Books Yahoo Group"
      <Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com>; "SciFi Discussion Yahoo Group"
      <SciFi_Discussion@...>
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:38 PM
      Subject: [Fantasy_Books] The Winds of Marble Arch

      >I finally finished *The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories*, a new
      > collection of short fiction by Connie Willis. It's a very big book, but
      > I was deliberately trying to go slow. My biggest problem with short
      > stories is that I tend to read one after another until they all kind of
      > blur together. So I paced myself.
      >
      > Connie Willis is one of my favorite authors - and my absolute favorite
      > writer of short fiction. She's just incredible. Some of these are
      > science fiction, since they involve time travel, but others are more
      > fantasy. Frankly, most are really hard to categorize. They're much more
      > about people than about SF or fantasy concepts.
      >
      > Although this is a new collection, they aren't new stories, and I'd read
      > a lot of them before. But this contains some of her best-known,
      > must-have fiction - such as "Fire Watch," "The Last of the Winnebagos,"
      > "Even the Queen," and "A Letter from the Clearys" (if you haven't read
      > those, you really, really must try to find a copy - along with some
      > great stories that were new to me, such as "Nonstop to Portales," "All
      > My Darling Daughters," "The Curse of Kings," and "Jack." I wasn't crazy
      > about "Daisy, In the Sun" (that was one of her earliest stories,
      > apparently) but I enjoyed all the others. But then, I really love her
      > writing style.
      >
      > A lot of these stories are funny (such as "Even the Queen," "In the Late
      > Cretaceous," and "Newsletter"), though the amazing "Fire Watch" starts
      > out humorous but gets more and more serious. There are at least three
      > with religious themes, but there are others with ghosts or similar
      > fantasy elements, too. "All My Darling Daughters" seemed to be really
      > atypical for a Connie Willis story, but it had an ending that hit like a
      > sledgehammer. All in all, Connie Willis writes about PEOPLE,... and she
      > does an amazingly good job of it.
      >
      > This is an excellent collection, even if you already own many of the
      > stories (as I do).
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > --
      > The strongest arguments prove nothing so long as the conclusions are not
      > verified by experience. Experimental science is the queen of sciences
      > and the goal of all speculation. - Roger Bacon

      http://www.eset.com

    • Richard Claypool
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2008
        I love the originl series, i even love the trilogy that Zahn wrote that came
        afterwords. More the Startrek books, I've read some horridly written
        startrek novels.

        I guess what I'm saying is that constracting them against a lot of the
        really good hard and soft sf writings that I've experienced in my 20s, I'm
        just sad I'd not started reading more sf when I was a teenager.

        Infact, I was jut relistening to the npr production of the empire strikes
        back earlier tonight.

        Ôà

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2008
          yes i am not too much in to hard sf but i love fantasy both hard and soft. did you know that there is over 200 star wars books?
          jamie

          i love star wars but did not when i was yunger.
          jamie

          >I finally finished *The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories*, a new
          > collection of short fiction by Connie Willis. It's a very big book, but
          > I was deliberately trying to go slow. My biggest problem with short
          > stories is that I tend to read one after another until they all kind of
          > blur together. So I paced myself.
          >
          > Connie Willis is one of my favorite authors - and my absolute favorite
          > writer of short fiction. She's just incredible. Some of these are
          > science fiction, since they involve time travel, but others are more
          > fantasy. Frankly, most are really hard to categorize. They're much more
          > about people than about SF or fantasy concepts.
          >
          > Although this is a new collection, they aren't new stories, and I'd read
          > a lot of them before. But this contains some of her best-known,
          > must-have fiction - such as "Fire Watch," "The Last of the Winnebagos,"
          > "Even the Queen," and "A Letter from the Clearys" (if you haven't read
          > those, you really, really must try to find a copy - along with some
          > great stories that were new to me, such as "Nonstop to Portales," "All
          > My Darling Daughters," "The Curse of Kings," and "Jack." I wasn't crazy
          > about "Daisy, In the Sun" (that was one of her earliest stories,
          > apparently) but I enjoyed all the others. But then, I really love her
          > writing style.
          >
          > A lot of these stories are funny (such as "Even the Queen," "In the Late
          > Cretaceous," and "Newsletter"), though the amazing "Fire Watch" starts
          > out humorous but gets more and more serious. There are at least three
          > with religious themes, but there are others with ghosts or similar
          > fantasy elements, too. "All My Darling Daughters" seemed to be really
          > atypical for a Connie Willis story, but it had an ending that hit like a
          > sledgehammer. All in all, Connie Willis writes about PEOPLE,... and she
          > does an amazingly good job of it.
          >
          > This is an excellent collection, even if you already own many of the
          > stories (as I do).
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --
          > The strongest arguments prove nothing so long as the conclusions are not
          > verified by experience. Experimental science is the queen of sciences
          > and the goal of all speculation. - Roger Bacon

          http://www.eset.com

          http://www.eset.com

        • craig herbertson
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2008
            Well, there'll always be a bit of a kid in me that loves
            zap guns and spaceships. I read a startrek novel a few
            weeks back - pretty awful literature but it gave me a kind
            of comfortable feel good factor all the same,

            Craig
            --- Richard Claypool <bellevue.bat@...> wrote:

            > she and verner vinge ar 2 of my fav short story writters.
            > I loved tht
            > story, remember seeing it in Asimov';s severl years ago!
            >
            > Thank god for Asimov's for making me learn and understand
            > real sf! I'm
            > ashamed to admit it, but when I was a teenager, the only
            > sf I basicly read
            > was Startrek and Starwars material.
            > Ôà

            Address: Alte Bahnhof Str 167, 44892 Bochum
            handi: 0177 474 5718 Fax: 0234 5414884

            craigherbertson.com contact@...

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
            A Smarter Inbox. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
          • Richard Claypool
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2008
              I reemmber reading some really bad startrek book, and the author mentioned
              that Sulu, don't know how his name is spelled, had blond hair! I just
              cracked up!

              I have these old kids startrek records that were converted to mp3 by a
              friend of mine. Pretty bad actors, but worth a bit of a laugh!

              Every once an awhile i like to read a startrek novel to revisit my lost
              youth :).
              Ôà

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2008
                my problem with star trek is i don't know where to begin but i do like star wars more.

                > Well, there'll always be a bit of a kid in me that loves
                > zap guns and spaceships. I read a startrek novel a few
                > weeks back - pretty awful literature but it gave me a kind
                > of comfortable feel good factor all the same,
                >
                > Craig
                > --- Richard Claypool <bellevue.bat@...> wrote:
                >
                >> she and verner vinge ar 2 of my fav short story writters.
                >> I loved tht
                >> story, remember seeing it in Asimov';s severl years ago!
                >>
                >> Thank god for Asimov's for making me learn and understand
                >> real sf! I'm
                >> ashamed to admit it, but when I was a teenager, the only
                >> sf I basicly read
                >> was Startrek and Starwars material.
                >> Ôà

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 2913 (20080301) __________

                http://www.eset.com

              • William C. Garthright
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2008
                  > she and verner vinge ar 2 of my fav short story writters. I loved tht story, remember seeing it in Asimov';s severl years ago!
                  >
                  > Thank god for Asimov's for making me learn and understand real sf!

                  I must admit that I let my subscriptions to /Asimov's/, as well as
                  /Analog/ and /Fantasy & Science Fiction/, lapse. I'd like to support the
                  industry, especially since short stories have been so important to SF,
                  but I just don't get them read. I still remember the classic science
                  fiction stories, but I have a hard time reading anything but novels
                  these days.

                  Regarding Vernor Vinge, it's been awhile since I've read anything by
                  him, and I'm pretty sure I've never read any of his short stories. But
                  if you like Connie Willis as much as I do, it might be that we'd agree
                  on Vernor Vinge, too. So which stories of his are your favorites? Which
                  should I look for?

                  Thanks,

                  If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I
                  wouldn't be a bit surprised. - Dorothy Parker
                • Richard Claypool
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
                    there's a great collection of his short stories called the collected stories
                    of verner vinge, which is a great place to start.

                    I'll flip through it, and find some of my fav stories out of it. I've read
                    so many short stories by so many authors, that they all tend to blend
                    together. Taking psychedelics around 8 years ago didn't help the old memory
                    either :).