my review of Prophecy, by Elizabeth Haydon

  • Q
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2008
      Prophecy is the second of the Symphony of Ages series. The series is still
      in progress, but so far this is my favorite, for two main reasons. Firstly,
      not to mince words......our heroine Rhapsody finally Gets Some (nudge,
      nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean ?). Like every other aspect of her
      writing, Haydon gives us....ahem.... Good Parts that are really really good.
      In fact, go ahead and dog-ear pages 478 and 506 right now! Rhapsody had her
      sweet, romantic teenage encounter in the first book, but now she is a
      grown-up and...well, as I've said before, this series is for grown-ups. A
      warning....there are a couple of truly horrific, violent scenes too. I
      wouldn't recommend this series for anyone under age 15 or 16.

      Aside from the Red Hot Whoopee-Making, which we've been anticipating for
      1200 pages, I like this book best of the series because we finally get to
      meet and spend some quality time with Elynsynos the Dragon. Elynsynos is one
      of my favorite fictional dragons ever. She is big, golden, dangerous but
      surprisingly gentle with those she loves. She tells us about the history of
      her land in a multi-toned voice that really shows us the author's musical
      background. Rhapsody returns something that belongs to Elynsynos and offers
      her friendship. The dragon is pleased. Rhapsody has made an important ally
      here. She interests Elynsynos...no mean feat to a nearly-immortal dragon
      whose hoard contains the most beautiful treasures in the world. However, as
      Elynsynos says, "You are wise to be afraid....You are perfect treasure,
      Pretty. There is music in you, and fire, and time. Any dragon would covet
      you for its own." (p. 117)

      Haydon fills in enough background information that this book could be read
      on its own, but the story really does begin with Rhapsody, the first volume.
      I strongly suggest that you read Rhapsody first....and pick up a copy of
      Destiny, the third book, while you're at it. You will definitely want to
      find out what comes next!

      Quenby in Tokyo