2008 Lists

  • Sharyla Yeany
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2007
      Okay, so I just spent the last hour or so getting my reading challenges for the new year ready. I'm going to be doing 2 challenges in 2008. An alphabet challenge and the monthly challenge for 2008 with the Mostly Books yahoo group.

      I decided to do some research on the Barnes and Noble website and found that they are having this super yay exciting 50% off sale on a bunch of books. With my membership I got 8 books for 27.00 and all had the fast and free shipping so I didn't even have to pay that!! I'm so freakin' excited. So here's what I have for both of my Challenges.

      Alphabet Challenge:

      A: Across The Face Of The World by Russel Kirkpatrick
      B: Bride Of The Tower by Sharon Shulze
      C: Coraline by Neil Gaimen
      D: Duchess of Aquitine- Margaret Ball
      E: Earthly Joys by Philipa Gregory
      F: The Fair Folk edited by Marvin Kaye
      G: Grudge Bearer by Gau Thorpe
      H: The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde
      I: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
      J: n/a
      K: n/a
      L: n/a
      M: Myself My Enemy by Jean Plaidy
      N: No Questions Asked by Clare Longrigg
      O: On Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens
      P: The Pearls by Deborah Chester
      Q: n/a
      R: The Religion by Tim Willocks
      S: The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra
      T: Thud! by Terry Pratchett
      U: n/a
      V: n/a
      W: Wild Angel by Sasha Lord
      X: n/a
      Y: n/a
      Z: n/a

      And for my 2008 Monthly Challenge there will be:

      January: Young Adult: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
      February: Historical Fiction: The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
      March: Short Stories: Fragile Things by Neil Gaimen
      April: Classic Sci-Fi: Storm Queen by Marion Zimmer Bradley
      May: Biography: Lewis Carroll-A Biography by Morton N. Cohen
      June: Western: N/A
      July: Will be picked amongst the group
      August: New Author: N/A
      September: Historical Non Fiction: In The Wake Of The Plague by Norman Cantor
      October: Sacry Book: Into The Forest by Jean Hengle
      November: Retry a Did Not Finish: N/A
      December: Travel Themed: N/A

      If anyone has any recommendations for the empty slots on my lists I'd love you forever!
      My LJ: http://ilovemyman70.livejournal.com/

      My Pen Pal Community: http://community.livejournal.com/maturepenpals/

      My Big Bang Theory Community: http://community.livejournal.com/thebbtheory/

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        L - Lord Foul's Bane (Book 1 of the first chronicles of Thomas Covenant by
        Stephen Donaldson)

        K - Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey (you should read Crystal Singer first,
        but they are both very slim volumes compared to most fantasy today)

        W - Waylander by David Gemmel (best known for the adventures of Druss the
        Legend etc)

        Y - Ysabel - the latest by guy Gavriel Kay who has written the most
        wonderful Sarantine Mosaic, Lions of al-Rassan, Tigana, last light of the
        Sun and Tigana etc

        X - isn't there a book called Xenocide sequal to Ender's Game (Orson Scott
        Card).? It was a great book in any case, even better than the original in
        my opinion

        Cheers, Peta

        > Okay, so I just spent the last hour or so getting my reading challenges
        > for the new year ready. I'm going to be doing 2 challenges in 2008. An
        > alphabet challenge and the monthly challenge for 2008 with the Mostly
        > Books yahoo group.
        >
        > I decided to do some research on the Barnes and Noble website and found
        > that they are having this super yay exciting 50% off sale on a bunch of
        > books. With my membership I got 8 books for 27.00 and all had the fast and
        > free shipping so I didn't even have to pay that!! I'm so freakin' excited.
        > So here's what I have for both of my Challenges.
        >
        > Alphabet Challenge:
        >
        > A: Across The Face Of The World by Russel Kirkpatrick
        > B: Bride Of The Tower by Sharon Shulze
        > C: Coraline by Neil Gaimen
        > D: Duchess of Aquitine- Margaret Ball
        > E: Earthly Joys by Philipa Gregory
        > F: The Fair Folk edited by Marvin Kaye
        > G: Grudge Bearer by Gau Thorpe
        > H: The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde
        > I: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
        > J: n/a
        > K: n/a
        > L: n/a
        > M: Myself My Enemy by Jean Plaidy
        > N: No Questions Asked by Clare Longrigg
        > O: On Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens
        > P: The Pearls by Deborah Chester
        > Q: n/a
        > R: The Religion by Tim Willocks
        > S: The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra
        > T: Thud! by Terry Pratchett
        > U: n/a
        > V: n/a
        > W: Wild Angel by Sasha Lord
        > X: n/a
        > Y: n/a
        > Z: n/a
        >
        > And for my 2008 Monthly Challenge there will be:
        >
        > January: Young Adult: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
        > February: Historical Fiction: The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
        > March: Short Stories: Fragile Things by Neil Gaimen
        > April: Classic Sci-Fi: Storm Queen by Marion Zimmer Bradley
        > May: Biography: Lewis Carroll-A Biography by Morton N. Cohen
        > June: Western: N/A
        > July: Will be picked amongst the group
        > August: New Author: N/A
        > September: Historical Non Fiction: In The Wake Of The Plague by Norman
        > Cantor
        > October: Sacry Book: Into The Forest by Jean Hengle
        > November: Retry a Did Not Finish: N/A
        > December: Travel Themed: N/A
        >
        > If anyone has any recommendations for the empty slots on my lists I'd love
        > you forever!
        > My LJ: http://ilovemyman70.livejournal.com/
        >
        > My Pen Pal Community: http://community.livejournal.com/maturepenpals/
        >
        > My Big Bang Theory Community:
        > http://community.livejournal.com/thebbtheory/

        > --
        > 31/12/2007 3:32 PM

      • Sharyla Yeany
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
          Thank you so much Peta, I'll keep these in mind.
          __Sharyla__

          > Okay, so I just spent the last hour or so getting my reading challenges
          > for the new year ready. I'm going to be doing 2 challenges in 2008. An
          > alphabet challenge and the monthly challenge for 2008 with the Mostly
          > Books yahoo group.
          >
          > I decided to do some research on the Barnes and Noble website and found
          > that they are having this super yay exciting 50% off sale on a bunch of
          > books. With my membership I got 8 books for 27.00 and all had the fast and
          > free shipping so I didn't even have to pay that!! I'm so freakin' excited.
          > So here's what I have for both of my Challenges.
          >
          > Alphabet Challenge:
          >
          > A: Across The Face Of The World by Russel Kirkpatrick
          > B: Bride Of The Tower by Sharon Shulze
          > C: Coraline by Neil Gaimen
          > D: Duchess of Aquitine- Margaret Ball
          > E: Earthly Joys by Philipa Gregory
          > F: The Fair Folk edited by Marvin Kaye
          > G: Grudge Bearer by Gau Thorpe
          > H: The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde
          > I: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
          > J: n/a
          > K: n/a
          > L: n/a
          > M: Myself My Enemy by Jean Plaidy
          > N: No Questions Asked by Clare Longrigg
          > O: On Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens
          > P: The Pearls by Deborah Chester
          > Q: n/a
          > R: The Religion by Tim Willocks
          > S: The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra
          > T: Thud! by Terry Pratchett
          > U: n/a
          > V: n/a
          > W: Wild Angel by Sasha Lord
          > X: n/a
          > Y: n/a
          > Z: n/a
          >
          > And for my 2008 Monthly Challenge there will be:
          >
          > January: Young Adult: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
          > February: Historical Fiction: The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
          > March: Short Stories: Fragile Things by Neil Gaimen
          > April: Classic Sci-Fi: Storm Queen by Marion Zimmer Bradley
          > May: Biography: Lewis Carroll-A Biography by Morton N. Cohen
          > June: Western: N/A
          > July: Will be picked amongst the group
          > August: New Author: N/A
          > September: Historical Non Fiction: In The Wake Of The Plague by Norman
          > Cantor
          > October: Sacry Book: Into The Forest by Jean Hengle
          > November: Retry a Did Not Finish: N/A
          > December: Travel Themed: N/A
          >
          > If anyone has any recommendations for the empty slots on my lists I'd love
          > you forever!
          > My LJ: http://ilovemyman70.livejournal.com/
          >
          > My Pen Pal Community: http://community.livejournal.com/maturepenpals/
          >
          > My Big Bang Theory Community:
          > http://community.livejournal.com/thebbtheory/

          > --
          > 31/12/2007 3:32 PM

        • William C. Garthright
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
            > X - isn't there a book called Xenocide sequal to Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card).? It was a great book in any case, even better than the original in my opinion

            *Xenocide* was the third book in the series. The sequel to *Ender's
            Game* was *Speaker for the Dead*, which I did think was superb, much
            better than the original. As I recall, I was much less impressed with
            *Xenocide*, but I really don't remember it very well. But I know I lost
            interest in the series after that.

            But I'm impressed, since I certainly couldn't remember any titles
            beginning with 'X'! Hmm,... I might recommend *Way Station* (1963) by
            Clifford D. Simak for 'W' - it's more science fiction, perhaps, but has
            a definite fantasy element. Or perhaps *The Witches of Karres* (1966) by
            James H. Schmitz, or *World War Z* (2006) by Max Brooks, a great zombie
            story. And how about *Lord of Light* (1967) by Roger Zelazny for 'L' and
            *Kiln People* (2002) by David Brin for 'K'. Of course, some of these are
            pretty old, but still great.

            There are many hypotheses in science which are wrong. That's perfectly
            all right; they're the aperture to finding out what's right. Science is
            a self-correcting process. To be accepted, new ideas must survive the
            most rigorous standards of evidence and scrutiny. - Carl Sagan
          • Katherine Hooper
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
              X: Xone of Contention

              I think Piers Anthony has a book starting with every letter. (not kidding)

              Kat

              www.FanLit.net

              _____

              > X - isn't there a book called Xenocide sequal to Ender's Game (Orson Scott
              Card).? It was a great book in any case, even better than the original in my
              opinion

              *Xenocide* was the third book in the series. The sequel to *Ender's
              Game* was *Speaker for the Dead*, which I did think was superb, much
              better than the original. As I recall, I was much less impressed with
              *Xenocide*, but I really don't remember it very well. But I know I lost
              interest in the series after that.

              But I'm impressed, since I certainly couldn't remember any titles
              beginning with 'X'! Hmm,... I might recommend *Way Station* (1963) by
              Clifford D. Simak for 'W' - it's more science fiction, perhaps, but has
              a definite fantasy element. Or perhaps *The Witches of Karres* (1966) by
              James H. Schmitz, or *World War Z* (2006) by Max Brooks, a great zombie
              story. And how about *Lord of Light* (1967) by Roger Zelazny for 'L' and
              *Kiln People* (2002) by David Brin for 'K'. Of course, some of these are
              pretty old, but still great.

              There are many hypotheses in science which are wrong. That's perfectly
              all right; they're the aperture to finding out what's right. Science is
              a self-correcting process. To be accepted, new ideas must survive the
              most rigorous standards of evidence and scrutiny. - Carl Sagan

            • Joe Hopkins
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
                J - Jumper by Steven Gould

                --- Sharyla Yeany <ilovemyman70@...> wrote:

                > Okay, so I just spent the last hour or so getting my
                > reading challenges for the new year ready. I'm going
                > to be doing 2 challenges in 2008. An alphabet
                > challenge and the monthly challenge for 2008 with
                > the Mostly Books yahoo group.
                >
                > I decided to do some research on the Barnes and
                > Noble website and found that they are having this
                > super yay exciting 50% off sale on a bunch of books.
                > With my membership I got 8 books for 27.00 and all
                > had the fast and free shipping so I didn't even have
                > to pay that!! I'm so freakin' excited. So here's
                > what I have for both of my Challenges.
                >
                > Alphabet Challenge:
                >
                > A: Across The Face Of The World by Russel
                > Kirkpatrick
                > B: Bride Of The Tower by Sharon Shulze
                > C: Coraline by Neil Gaimen
                > D: Duchess of Aquitine- Margaret Ball
                > E: Earthly Joys by Philipa Gregory
                > F: The Fair Folk edited by Marvin Kaye
                > G: Grudge Bearer by Gau Thorpe
                > H: The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde
                > I: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
                > J: n/a
                > K: n/a
                > L: n/a
                > M: Myself My Enemy by Jean Plaidy
                > N: No Questions Asked by Clare Longrigg
                > O: On Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens
                > P: The Pearls by Deborah Chester
                > Q: n/a
                > R: The Religion by Tim Willocks
                > S: The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra
                > T: Thud! by Terry Pratchett
                > U: n/a
                > V: n/a
                > W: Wild Angel by Sasha Lord
                > X: n/a
                > Y: n/a
                > Z: n/a
                >
                > And for my 2008 Monthly Challenge there will be:
                >
                > January: Young Adult: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
                > February: Historical Fiction: The Last Kingdom by
                > Bernard Cornwell
                > March: Short Stories: Fragile Things by Neil Gaimen
                > April: Classic Sci-Fi: Storm Queen by Marion Zimmer
                > Bradley
                > May: Biography: Lewis Carroll-A Biography by Morton
                > N. Cohen
                > June: Western: N/A
                > July: Will be picked amongst the group
                > August: New Author: N/A
                > September: Historical Non Fiction: In The Wake Of
                > The Plague by Norman Cantor
                > October: Sacry Book: Into The Forest by Jean Hengle
                > November: Retry a Did Not Finish: N/A
                > December: Travel Themed: N/A
                >
                > If anyone has any recommendations for the empty
                > slots on my lists I'd love you forever!
                > My LJ: http://ilovemyman70.livejournal.com/
                >
                > My Pen Pal Community:
                > http://community.livejournal.com/maturepenpals/
                >
                > My Big Bang Theory Community:
                > http://community.livejournal.com/thebbtheory/

                > removed]

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Sharyla Yeany
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
                  OOh, your right Kat. I may have to use him.
                  __Sharyla__

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Of course Bill! It was Speaker for the Dead (2nd book) that I enjoyed the
                    most. I also loved Ender but more so as the original short story which I
                    read many, many years ago.
                    Cheeers, Peta

                    >> X - isn't there a book called Xenocide sequal to Ender's Game (Orson
                    >> Scott Card).? It was a great book in any case, even better than the
                    >> original in my opinion
                    >>

                    > *Xenocide* was the third book in the series. The sequel to *Ender's
                    > Game* was *Speaker for the Dead*, which I did think was superb, much
                    > better than the original. As I recall, I was much less impressed with
                    > *Xenocide*, but I really don't remember it very well. But I know I lost
                    > interest in the series after that.
                    >
                    > But I'm impressed, since I certainly couldn't remember any titles
                    > beginning with 'X'! Hmm,... I might recommend *Way Station* (1963) by
                    > Clifford D. Simak for 'W' - it's more science fiction, perhaps, but has
                    > a definite fantasy element. Or perhaps *The Witches of Karres* (1966) by
                    > James H. Schmitz, or *World War Z* (2006) by Max Brooks, a great zombie
                    > story. And how about *Lord of Light* (1967) by Roger Zelazny for 'L' and
                    > *Kiln People* (2002) by David Brin for 'K'. Of course, some of these are
                    > pretty old, but still great.
                    >
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > --
                    > There are many hypotheses in science which are wrong. That's perfectly
                    > all right; they're the aperture to finding out what's right. Science is
                    > a self-correcting process. To be accepted, new ideas must survive the
                    > most rigorous standards of evidence and scrutiny. - Carl Sagan

                    > --
                    > 1/01/2008 12:09 PM

                  • William C. Garthright
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                      > J - Jumper by Steven Gould

                      Great choice! And the sequel, *Reflex*, was pretty good, too -
                      surprisingly good, since I would never have expected you could write a
                      sequel to *Jumper* with any suspense at all. *Wildside* was another
                      great book - probably my favorite - but really, I've liked everything
                      Steven Gould has written, so far. I can't wait to see what he'll come up
                      with next.

                      Let us understand what our own selfish genes are up to, because we may
                      then at least have a chance to upset their designs, something that no
                      other species has ever aspired to do. - Richard Dawkins
                    • Sharyla Yeany
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Thanks, but I did fill J with a book from the t.v. show Criminal Minds called Jump Cut. Excited to read it.
                        __Sharyla__

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                          How about

                          Q - Quest for Lost Heroes by David Gemmell, last in a
                          trilogy though.

                          V - Valderen by Roger Taylor, not sure if it is still
                          in print but should be able to find it at a second
                          hand bookstore.

                          Dale

                          --- Sharyla Yeany <ilovemyman70@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks, but I did fill J with a book from the t.v.
                          > show Criminal Minds called Jump Cut. Excited to read
                          > it.
                          > __Sharyla__

                          Looking for last minute shopping deals?