RE: [Fantasy_Books] Male Heroes in Fantasy Series

  • Katherine Hooper
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
      Cool male characters:

      Bujold's Curse of Chalion is excellent, but the main character of the
      "sequel" is a female.
      http://www.fantasyliterature.net/BujoldLoisMcMaster.html

      How about Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series?
      http://www.fantasyliterature.net/LynchScott.html

      And Joe Abercrombie's The First Law:
      http://www.fantasyliterature.net/AbercrombieJoe.html

      Have you read Robin Hobb's Farseer Saga and Tad William's Dragonbone Chair?

      Kat

    • William C. Garthright
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
        > Bujold's Curse of Chalion is excellent, but the main character of the "sequel" is a female.
        > http://www.fantasyliterature.net/BujoldLoisMcMaster.html

        The third in the series ("The Hallowed Hunt") has a male lead. Well, a
        shared lead, actually, with both a male and a female main character. I
        might also mention her much earlier fantasy, "The Spirit Ring," which
        had male and female main characters, too.

        I would highly recommend these books, but I wouldn't call her characters
        "cool, wisecracking male heroes." Male, yes. Heroic, yes. Cool, cocky,
        and wisecracking? Not at all.

        Someone had asked me why I didn't have bad entities - villains - in my
        stories, generally speaking, and my point was that the universe was a
        perfectly adequate villain. - Hal Clement
      • darkomik772000
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
          Well, there's the Jhereg series by Stephen Brust with Vlad Taltos as
          the male lead. "Jack Of Shadows" by Roger Zelzney has a male lead.
          And Zelazny's Chronicles Of Amber series has two male leads: Corwin in
          the first chronicle and Corwin's son in the second chronicle.
        • jamie coady
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
            who are the authers of these books
            jamie

            > Bujold's Curse of Chalion is excellent, but the main character of the "sequel" is a female.
            > http://www.fantasyliterature.net/BujoldLoisMcMaster.html

            The third in the series ("The Hallowed Hunt") has a male lead. Well, a
            shared lead, actually, with both a male and a female main character. I
            might also mention her much earlier fantasy, "The Spirit Ring," which
            had male and female main characters, too.

            I would highly recommend these books, but I wouldn't call her characters
            "cool, wisecracking male heroes." Male, yes. Heroic, yes. Cool, cocky,
            and wisecracking? Not at all.

            Someone had asked me why I didn't have bad entities - villains - in my
            stories, generally speaking, and my point was that the universe was a
            perfectly adequate villain. - Hal Clement

            http://www.eset.com

          • Richard Claypool
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
              Lois McMaster Bujold, and I have all 3 books in that series. I've never
              read the 3rd one though

              rick
              .

              Suffering was it, and impotence, that created all backworlds; and the short
              madness of happiness, which only the greatest sufferer experienceth.
              Weariness, which seeketh to get to the ultimate with one leap, with a
              death-leap; a poor ignorant weariness, unwilling even to will any longer,
              that created
              all Gods and backworlds.
              -- Nietzsche, "Von den Hinterweltlern" ("Of backworldsmen")

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
                Have you read the Belgariad/Mallorean etc by Eddings? It has an ensemble
                cast and many of the male characters are wise-cracking.I would describe the
                female characters as "withering".

                Or there's George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Two of the main
                characters are Jon Snow - cool and Tyrion Lannister - wise-cracking.

                Cheers, Peta

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
                    You should read it! I am a Tyrion fan also and he has some really, really,
                    really great chapters in book 4.

                    Cheers, Peta

                    >I really really like Tyrion Lannister. I'm a bad rick, and havn't read the
                    > 4th book in that series yet.
                    >

                    > Suffering was it, and impotence, that created all backworlds; and the
                    > short
                    > madness of happiness, which only the greatest sufferer experienceth.
                    > Weariness, which seeketh to get to the ultimate with one leap, with a
                    > death-leap; a poor ignorant weariness, unwilling even to will any longer,
                    > that created
                    > all Gods and backworlds.
                    > -- Nietzsche, "Von den Hinterweltlern" ("Of backworldsmen")

                  • Richard Claypool

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
                        What am I saying Rick. Tyrion had great chapters in book 3. He doesn't
                        appear at all in book 4. Sorry .... it's been a while.

                        > martin was brutile in book 3, not many authors would do what he did, I
                        > still
                        > cringe.
                        >
                        > Suffering was it, and impotence, that created all backworlds; and the
                        > short
                        > madness of happiness, which only the greatest sufferer experienceth.
                        > Weariness, which seeketh to get to the ultimate with one leap, with a
                        > death-leap; a poor ignorant weariness, unwilling even to will any longer,
                        > that created
                        > all Gods and backworlds.
                        > -- Nietzsche, "Von den Hinterweltlern" ("Of backworldsmen")

                      • roja_cyd
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 9, 2007
                          Hey,

                          Thanks for the suggestions. I've never really read Lois Bujold,
                          though I've seen the books around. Gentleman Bastard...hm, never
                          heard of that, must look into it. I've read the Belgariad/Mallroean
                          sieres, yeah, that's a really awesome set of characters. Silk would
                          be the wisecracking dude there I think.

                          Jack of Shadows was awesome too.

                          I've read Tad Williams, but somehow coudln't get into Robin Hobb.

                          Tyrion Lannister sounds very interesting, I have to say.

                          Another one I discovered is Connor Grey from 'Unshapely Things'. He's
                          a druid. Oh yeah, and Simon Green's Nightside series. John Taylor,
                          who can find anything.

                          These guys are all really awesome reads, and I'm kind of tired of
                          reading about yet another half-werewolf chick with three boyfriends
                          and cool powers.

                          Thanks for the tips, guys!

                          Roja.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                            what? He's not in book 4? I'm crushed, my innter child is now broozed and
                            battered lol.

                            Yeah, he was really kool in book 3. I stilll remember when he shoots his
                            fater while he's on the crapper .. ouchy.

                            Rick

                            Suffering was it, and impotence, that created all backworlds; and the short
                            madness of happiness, which only the greatest sufferer experienceth.
                            Weariness, which seeketh to get to the ultimate with one leap, with a
                            death-leap; a poor ignorant weariness, unwilling even to will any longer,
                            that created
                            all Gods and backworlds.
                            -- Nietzsche, "Von den Hinterweltlern" ("Of backworldsmen")

                            > What am I saying Rick. Tyrion had great chapters in book 3. He doesn't
                            > appear at all in book 4. Sorry .... it's been a while.
                            >
                            > Peta

                          • Richard Claypool

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                                The latest instalment became so long that it was split in two and so Book 4
                                "Feast" follows only half the characters. There is only one chapter right at
                                the beginning with Jon Snow, and there are no Tyrion, Dany or Arrya points
                                of view. Even so, it is a good book.

                                > what? He's not in book 4? I'm crushed, my innter child is now broozed
                                > and
                                > battered lol.
                                >
                                > Yeah, he was really kool in book 3. I stilll remember when he shoots his
                                > fater while he's on the crapper .. ouchy.
                                >
                                > Rick
                                >
                                > Suffering was it, and impotence, that created all backworlds; and the
                                > short
                                > madness of happiness, which only the greatest sufferer experienceth.
                                > Weariness, which seeketh to get to the ultimate with one leap, with a
                                > death-leap; a poor ignorant weariness, unwilling even to will any longer,
                                > that created
                                > all Gods and backworlds.
                                > -- Nietzsche, "Von den Hinterweltlern" ("Of backworldsmen")

                              • fran
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                                  No one mentioned Glen Cook's "From the Files of Garrett, PI". The
                                  series titles are as follows:

                                  Sweet Silver Blues - 1987
                                  Bitter Gold Hearts - 1988
                                  Cold Copper Tears - 1989
                                  Old Tin Sorrows - 1989
                                  Dread Brass Shadows - 1990
                                  Red Iron Nights - 1991
                                  Deadly Quicksilver Lies - 1994
                                  Petty Pewter Gods - 1995
                                  Faded Steel Heat - 1999
                                  Angry Lead Skies - 2002
                                  Whispering Nickel Idols - 2005
                                  Cruel Zinc Memories - TBD

                                  From the Files of Garrett, PI is the unofficial name of a series of
                                  books relating the cases of one Garrett, ex-military private eye in a
                                  world of magic and intrigue. Although pressed from a similar mold to
                                  classic film noir detectives from John D. MacDonald and Raymond
                                  Chandler, Garrett is lives in a world where magic is commonplace and
                                  races are diverse, ranging from common humans and elves to the twisted
                                  results of wizard's experiments, such as the Rat People. He is helped
                                  in his cases often by his partner, the Dead Man (so called because
                                  he's been dead for 400 years, although he's not quite a man).

                                  Cheers,
                                  Fran
                                  Cùanna Na Carraige

                                  On Dec 9, 2007, at 10:23 AM, roja_cyd wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I'm looking for some cool, wisecracking male heroes in fantasy series
                                  > (though I haven't posted here before. Hi. :)).
                                  >
                                  > But lately, I've started to notice that though there is a very large
                                  > number of dashing young women in fantasy series (Rogue Angel, Magic
                                  > Bites, Green Rider, Moon Called, Touch the Dark, Kitty and the
                                  > Midnight Hour, Working For the Devil, For a Few Demons More, Dead
                                  > Witch Walking and Greywalker), there aren't that many young men who
                                  > are just as cool.
                                  >
                                  > I found Nightlife and Moonshine, by Rob Thurman, which has two cocky
                                  > young heroes, Cal and Niko Leandros, who are awesome protagonists.
                                  >
                                  > Harry Dresden is another one that comes to mind. Not young, but cocky.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone know any other cool, wisecracking male heroes out there?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks.
                                  > Roja.

                                • Dale Jory
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 11, 2007
                                    Another book is "Blue Moon Rising" by Simon Green
                                    which is a favourite of mine.

                                    The Kings Blade series by Dave Duncan is a series of 6
                                    or 7 novels with male leads with some characters
                                    appearing more than once.

                                    James Barclays "Chronicles of the Raven" is also
                                    enjoyable.

                                    Dale

                                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                  • gioliver@swbell.net
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2007
                                      Reading Nightlife at the moment myself. Loads of fun. Trying to think if there have been any, and I am sure there have, but my mind is coming up a total blank. Argh!

                                      Gloria Oliver
                                      www.gloriaoliver.com
                                      Unveiling the Fantastic

                                      I'm looking for some cool, wisecracking male heroes in fantasy series

                                      (though I haven't posted here before. Hi. :)).

                                      But lately, I've started to notice that though there is a very large

                                      number of dashing young women in fantasy series (Rogue Angel, Magic

                                      Bites, Green Rider, Moon Called, Touch the Dark, Kitty and the

                                      Midnight Hour, Working For the Devil, For a Few Demons More, Dead

                                      Witch Walking and Greywalker), there aren't that many young men who

                                      are just as cool.

                                      I found Nightlife and Moonshine, by Rob Thurman, which has two cocky

                                      young heroes, Cal and Niko Leandros, who are awesome protagonists.

                                      Harry Dresden is another one that comes to mind. Not young, but cocky.

                                      Anyone know any other cool, wisecracking male heroes out there?

                                      Thanks.

                                      Roja.

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-mkp{
                                      #ygrp-mkp hr{
                                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                                      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                                      margin-bottom:10px;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                                      padding:0 0;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                                      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                      -->

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                                      font-family:Arial;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                      -->

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                      #ygrp-text{
                                      font-family:Georgia;
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-text p{
                                      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                      font-family:Arial;
                                      clear:both;}
                                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                      padding:0 1px;}
                                      #ygrp-actbar{
                                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                      #ygrp-grft{
                                      #ygrp-ft{
                                      padding:5px 0;
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                      padding-bottom:10px;}

                                      #ygrp-vital{
                                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                      font-weight:bold;}
                                      #ygrp-vital a{
                                      text-decoration:none;}

                                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                      text-decoration:underline;}

                                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                      padding:8px 0;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                      text-decoration:none;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                      text-decoration:underline;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                      margin:0;}
                                      o{font-size:0;}
                                      .MsoNormal{
                                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                      #ygrp-text tt{
                                      font-size:120%;}
                                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                      .replbq{margin:4;}
                                      -->

                                    • Darrice Holochost
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 13, 2007
                                        A great male hero is in the novel fantasy book "Novice of Souls".....really good book and hero named Markest makes you wish for more when the book ends>>>>>>

                                      • roja_cyd
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 20, 2007
                                          Sweet! Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. This ought to keep me
                                          busy for a while!

                                          Happy Holidays!

                                          Roja.

                                          --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Darrice Holochost
                                          <holochost@...> wrote:

                                          > A great male hero is in the novel fantasy book "Novice of
                                          Souls".....really good book and hero named Markest makes you wish
                                          for more when the book ends>>>>>>

                                        • Bill
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 30, 2007
                                            At 7:39 PM -0800 12/10/07, fran wrote:
                                            >No one mentioned Glen Cook's "From the Files of Garrett, PI". The
                                            >series titles are as follows:

                                            Speaking of Glen Cook, has anyone read his Black Company books. I have them all from SFBC, but was unable to get into the 1st book, this some years ago. I had a lot of problems with his writing style and am wondering if they are worth another effort.

                                            Bill B
                                          • Bill
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 30, 2007
                                              Speaking of male heroes, I have been trying to find an Epic-like Fantasy which I read some time ago, probably in the '80s.

                                              I dont remember much, but the hero was a teen male who became an Alexander the Great like leader of the armies which traveled from the north to the south. He was young, beautiful and gay, though the latter was more or less incidental.

                                              I remember enjoying it a lot, both the story and writing, but do not have a clue of the author or title.

                                              Does this sound familiar to anyone?

                                              TIA,

                                              Bill B.
                                            • William C. Garthright
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 30, 2007
                                                > Speaking of Glen Cook, has anyone read his Black Company books. I have them all from SFBC, but was unable to get into the 1st book, this some years ago. I had a lot of problems with his writing style and am wondering if they are worth another effort.

                                                I read the first three or four before I got tired of them (this series,
                                                like most these days, seems to go on forever). Of course, that was about
                                                20 years ago, so I don't remember them real well. But as I recall, they
                                                were very dark, and the first few were different enough to be
                                                interesting. They weren't the typical fantasy that everyone else seemed
                                                to be writing. (I enjoyed the first few of his "Garrett, PI" books, too,
                                                but they were all about the same. Another series that went on too long.)

                                                I liked both series enough to recommend the first books to someone. But
                                                if you didn't like the first book, I wouldn't bother trying the others.
                                                They weren't classics, nothing you 'should' read to be really
                                                knowledgeable about the genre, and there's too much out there to waste
                                                time on books you don't like.

                                                The Union of Concerned Scientists says the Bush administration
                                                manipulates and suppresses science. The administration points out that
                                                the Union of Bought and Paid for Scientists disagrees. - www.fark.com
                                              • Richard Claypool
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 30, 2007
                                                  the only gay fantasy I can think of is the last herald mage. I really liked
                                                  the first book, tolerated the 2nd book, and flat out hated the 3rd book.
                                                  Master Dark, oh please!

                                                  Rick
                                                  msn
                                                  bellevue.bat@...