Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: computer games

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
      Yes ... clunky wasn't it!!
      Peta

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
        I asked my son (who is always playing games) and he said Morrowind, Oblivion
        and the Elder Scroll series ??? Have you tried any of those? Are they the
        sort of games you mean?

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
          > I asked my son (who is always playing games) and he said Morrowind, Oblivion and the Elder Scroll series ??? Have you tried any of those? Are they the sort of games you mean?

          FYI, Morrowind and Oblivion are the third and fourth of the Elder
          Scrolls series (you'd probably have difficulty finding - or even running
          - the first two games today). They are both quite similar, featuring a
          single character and 'real-time' combat. The worlds are absolutely HUGE.
          I can't imagine how you could get to everything in them. I played both
          for quite awhile and barely scratched the surface. But it's really
          wonderful to explore their worlds, especially with the sound turned up
          high (I nearly jumped out of my chair the first time a thunderstorm in
          Morrowind broke overhead).

          When it comes to character creation in these games, there are a lot of
          options. If you decide to play them, you might be better off looking at
          Internet guides - not walk-throughs of the game, but just those that
          explain the leveling system and the character options. In these games,
          the level of the monsters increases with your character's level. That
          means that even low-level characters can explore almost everywhere, but
          it also means that you're better off if you *don't* advance in level
          very quickly. Well, it might not matter to kids, but 'real-time combat'
          is not exactly my forte!

          Both games were lots of fun, but from your comments, I think you might
          be happier with the Icewind Dale series of games, or maybe Wizardry 8.
          Those are party-based games, in which you create a whole group of
          characters. Wizardry 8 is actually turn-based (the combat, anyway).
          Icewind Dale uses a 'real-time' system, but you can easily pause at any
          time to give orders to your characters. Icewind Dale is probably the
          closest these days to the old pen and paper games.

          Well, that's probably far too much on an off-topic subject. Sorry! I get
          carried away.

          You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it
          turns out that God hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
            When I do play (which is very rarely) I much prefer games like Myst and
            Riven which have lots of puzzles to work out!

            >> I asked my son (who is always playing games) and he said Morrowind,
            >> Oblivion and the Elder Scroll series ??? Have you tried any of those? Are
            >> they the sort of games you mean?
            >>

            > FYI, Morrowind and Oblivion are the third and fourth of the Elder
            > Scrolls series (you'd probably have difficulty finding - or even running
            > - the first two games today). They are both quite similar, featuring a
            > single character and 'real-time' combat. The worlds are absolutely HUGE.
            > I can't imagine how you could get to everything in them. I played both
            > for quite awhile and barely scratched the surface. But it's really
            > wonderful to explore their worlds, especially with the sound turned up
            > high (I nearly jumped out of my chair the first time a thunderstorm in
            > Morrowind broke overhead).
            >
            > When it comes to character creation in these games, there are a lot of
            > options. If you decide to play them, you might be better off looking at
            > Internet guides - not walk-throughs of the game, but just those that
            > explain the leveling system and the character options. In these games,
            > the level of the monsters increases with your character's level. That
            > means that even low-level characters can explore almost everywhere, but
            > it also means that you're better off if you *don't* advance in level
            > very quickly. Well, it might not matter to kids, but 'real-time combat'
            > is not exactly my forte!
            >
            > Both games were lots of fun, but from your comments, I think you might
            > be happier with the Icewind Dale series of games, or maybe Wizardry 8.
            > Those are party-based games, in which you create a whole group of
            > characters. Wizardry 8 is actually turn-based (the combat, anyway).
            > Icewind Dale uses a 'real-time' system, but you can easily pause at any
            > time to give orders to your characters. Icewind Dale is probably the
            > closest these days to the old pen and paper games.
            >
            > Well, that's probably far too much on an off-topic subject. Sorry! I get
            > carried away.
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > --
            > You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it
            > turns out that God hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott

            > --
            > 1/12/2007 12:05 PM

          • William C. Garthright
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007
              > When I do play (which is very rarely) I much prefer games like Myst and Riven which have lots of puzzles to work out!

              I remember Myst, since it was the first game I ever saw where the
              graphics just blew me away. Of course, all games are that way, today. I
              suppose Myst wouldn't seem like much if I installed it now.

              However, in general, I'm terrible at puzzles,... and not overly patient.
              I didn't have too much trouble with Myst, as I recall, but I'm not in
              general a big fan of puzzle games. Of course, there are lots of other
              game genres that don't appeal to me, either - like flight simulators,
              for instance. Just as with books, we all have different tastes.

              Someone had asked me why I didn't have bad entities - villains - in my
              stories, generally speaking, and my point was that the universe was a
              perfectly adequate villain. - Hal Clement